DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-05-2013, 02:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
yeoldecycleshoppe is on a distinguished road
Default Tranny and diff questions

Diff question: where can I find intructions on swapping gears in the front and rear diffs? Spent some time on Airram and would love to change my ratios to 4.56 like they did, but have never done that before. I have done plenty of other repairs on my own on other vehicles and am mechanically inclined, but have never had the need to do this before. This is more curiosity than anything else.

Tranny question: I changed the fluid and filters in my trans earlier this summer. Was straight forward, but with nearly 200k on my truck I wondered if it would be better to leave it alone. After the change, trans shifted noticeably smoother and more consistent. Recently I have had idle issues (engine wants to idle between 1000-1200) causing the transmission to shift hard into R & D. Last week I noticed shifting from R to D there was a delay before D engaged. Today for the first time, it slipped on me at an uphill traffic light. This was after coming to a stop at the light, still in D with the brake on, then applying throttle and nothing happened for a good 2 seconds before it engaged.

I found a 545rfe rebuild manual online and it points to shift cables being out of adjustment, but doesn't say how to adjust the cable, or what exactly is properly adjusted. And then I run into other forum comments about the tranny being fully electronic so it has no cables. Where do I start for diagnosis?
Sponsored links
Old 09-05-2013, 02:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 dodge ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT plus
Color: gray
Engine: 1994-2001 488ci (8.0L) LA V10 300 hp 450lb/ft
northern2002 is on a distinguished road

take it to Amoco it will save you huge head aches. and then you will be covered if any future problems occur with the trans. just from past experience.I am also a mechanic and as for the gears easy except its time consuming getting the shims correct,to get the gears to properly align.in other words you will have to test fit them at least once.make sure the carrier is a 4.10 up not a 4.10 down.but then again may be i'm missing somthing.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

So it was in D while you were stopped (on the uphill grade), correct? Then what happened when you stepped into it? Did the engine rev up like it was in Neutral, and then it engaged (with a bump or bang)? Or did engine speed come up, but truck sat still and then SLOWLY took off? After this, did the trans shift normally 1-2-3-4 etc., or was it stuck in 4th gear, or did it start off in 1st gear and then shift directly to 4th and stay there?

No CEL or faults, I presume? Is the fluid level OK?
Old 09-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Yes, it was in D while I was stopped on a grade (not steep, but still a grade). When I gave it throttle the engine revved like it was in neutral, so I let off, tried again, another rev, let off again then retried and kept the revs up (1500 or so) until it engaged. Not a real heavy bang, but not a smooth transition either. After this it shifted properly, 1-2-3-4.

When hot, fluid level reads between the 2 hot marks, as it should. However, this truck has never measured accurately cold. Even when cold the trans dip stick reads just below the lower hot mark.

As for CEL, my bulb was pulled a long time ago by a previous owner. Usually I have my scan gauge plugged in but a friend happens to be borrowing it. I will retrieve it and see if anything comes up.

Nearest Aamco is over an hour from me. I'm leary of them because my dad, who was a mechanic, had issues with them all the time. I've always been a manual transmission guy because I don't understand the voodoo of autos, and all you really have to worry about is replacing clutch once in a while. If I could have found a manual truck I'd have bought that. I wonder how complicated a swap would be?
Old 09-05-2013, 11:14 AM

TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

See if you can get a scan tool that will show your Line Pressure and Desired Line Pressure values. They should match (within a couple psi) anytime the engine speed is above about 1200 RPM.

You might also drop your pan and check the condition of the filters. Make sure the main sump filter (the flat one) is not split open along the side seam, is fully engaged into the seal at the bottom of the pump, and is not cracked at the base of the plastic snout. Make sure the filter seal (that the snout goes into) is fully pressed into the pump bore (metal flange up flush against the pump casting all the way around). Make sure the spin-on filter is secure (snug, not loose, but not overtightened either or you will crack the threaded plastic snout).
Old 09-05-2013, 02:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I will double check all those things and begin the hunt for a more detailed scan tool. All the filters are new within about 500 miles. I was careful with the snout and did not remove the filter seal because I read that it's nearly impossible to get it reseated correctly. But I will check it all again. When reassembling the trans pan, I did have one thread that stripped, but the rest of the pan tightened nicely and there are no leaks from the pan.

Thanks for your help, I will recheck those items and report my findings.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

For the record, I did find a cable that runs from the throttle to the transmission linkage like the repair manual stated. But I don't see any way to adjust it. There is about 1/2" of play at the throttle, meaning my gas pedal sits lower than it could. If I raise it to where the cable would be tight, it comes up about 1/2". Still, no way to adjust it, unless I put some spacers or something in there.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoldecycleshoppe View Post
For the record, I did find a cable that runs from the throttle to the transmission linkage like the repair manual stated. But I don't see any way to adjust it. There is about 1/2" of play at the throttle, meaning my gas pedal sits lower than it could. If I raise it to where the cable would be tight, it comes up about 1/2". Still, no way to adjust it, unless I put some spacers or something in there.
Huh???

The 2004 Ram 1500 with 4.7L engine uses a 545RFE transmission, which does not have any kind of mechanical throttle linkage (to the transmission). I'm not quite sure what you're talking about... Can you post a link to the manual you're referring to?
Old 09-06-2013, 01:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Manual:
http://www.hotrodlane.cc/New%20HEMI%...mi%20trans.pdf

I'll see if I can get a picture of what I'm seeing on my truck for you tomorrow.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:47 AM

That manual is the published service information from Chrysler. I don't see anywhere that it mentions a throttle cable going to the transmission. Can you give me a page number?