DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram
Rep:50
fastmc25 will become famous soon enough
Default Another NO-Start Nightmare

2000 Ram 1500 , 200,000 miles , Blown head gaskets on both heads, filled with water and Attempted to drive to my shop to repair , made it 100 feet before it stalled and no longer would start..

..... Now, replaced the heads with remanufactured ones.... inspected block while heads were off with no issues noted... new head gaskets, intake, exhaust gaskets, distributor cap and rotor, plugs. Changed oil and filter....

..... attempt to start after reassembly with no progress... engine turns over well with a fully charged battery but no start...... acts like it's out of time on the ignition ..... So I ran the list...

Fuel pump working? Yes
Fuel pressure? 50psi
Fuel Injectors getting pulse? Yes
Spark at coil and plugs? Yes
Timing correct? Yes, #1 firing on the timing mark ..
Plug wires in correct order? Yes... rechecked this a couple times..
Compression check? 135-145 on all cylinders
All connections made to vacuum ports and sensors on intake ? Yes

Nothing makes a difference....... so I decided to check the timing chain and see if it jumped a tooth... nope... dead on...

I did a ohms check and voltage check on the TPS and it test faulty so I replaced it but no changes .....

The motor mostly doesn't belch , fart, choke or puke... while turning over... if I hold the butterflies open to WOT it will cough a couple times but nothing else...

I'm lost .....

Last edited by fastmc25; 09-06-2013 at 03:16 PM. Reason: additions
Sponsored links
Old 09-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Tradesman
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:26
toober is on a distinguished road

No expert here but lesse....spark, fuel, air. You say you have spark, so that leaves fuel and air. Check your fuel safety cutoff. Not sure where it is in the ram but on my 1989 F150 it was under the steering wheel on the firewall. Hit a curb too hard once parking and took me a while to remember that was there, sure enough, pushed it back in and the truck started. This should be good if you already made sure the fuel pressure was good at the hood.

That would leave air. Check your air filter and make sure there isn't something obviously wrong with it.

Does it sound like it tries to start at all or just turning with the battery and starter?
Make sure your coolant is full. I had a 1968 Ford LTD that would not start if the coolant was below a certain level, which is odd, because that technology didn't exist at that time, but the car knew better! While you're at it, check the oil level too.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: slt
Color: Driftwood Satin Metallic
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
jabba974 is on a distinguished road

I wonder....I ran into a problem once on a gm 3.8l that a buddy was working on..bad intake of course...but the push rods got bent do to water in the cylinders holding the valves closed...maybe check your pushrods and see if they are good...also might want to check the adjustment on the rocker arms...
Old 09-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well, Still at square one... No Start...

I checked the:
Timing chain and gears: good condition and set correctly
Crank Position sensor: It was good
TPS : Good
Map: Good
Rockers: All correct
Pushrods: none bent

Still acts like timing not correct...Occasionally bucking and farting but that's it.... I've triple checked the wiring and cap/rotor

I thought about a clogged exhaust system... a little thumping on the muffler I found water... I drilled a drain hole in it and got out over a gallon of water... I disconnected the exhaust to see if there were any restrictions causing it not to run... no change..

Is there a way to check the computer? Any help would be greatly appreciated..
Old 09-07-2013, 12:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well, I changed the coil on a whim with no progress.....

I did remove the Fuel system relay and pulled all the plugs... they were soaked.. I dried them and turned the motor over at WOT to dry out the cylinders....

I reinstalled the plugs and it fired up almost... (remember the relay was out)...

I reinstalled the fuel system relay and tried again... it almost started once.... then acted as before.... (guessing it flooded the plugs again..)

Soo...in the morning I'm going to burn the truck in the back yard for fun and call it a wash... (just dreaming)

Tomorrow I guess I'll go and get a Ignition pickup coil (cam sensor) and a PCM from the salvage yard and take a chance... cheaper than buying them new...

More to come...
Old 09-07-2013, 02:20 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like you're making progress, a little, anyway. Have you tried putting a spritz or 2 of starter fluid and see what happens? If that doesn't work, you can always use the rest of the can to fulfill your dream and torch it.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Got it running.... the computer is toast... I picked up one at the Salvage yard and installed it... started right up and runs great...no instruments worked but it ran... now I need to order the correct replacement computer to install and all will be good..
Old 09-07-2013, 06:32 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Voonderbar! Good to hear you got it running. Reps for the find and the fix!
Old 09-19-2013, 01:08 AM
Help cure Paulzheimer's

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1761
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Reps for posting the solution

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name