DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Gentlemen:

First off that is the point of the projector to look stock so it looks good! Anyways to answer some questions.

Time: It does take some time yes. About a month or more.. in that time however you can work it out with JJ to get you a set of cores to use in the time being. When I did it he only asked I pay shipping. Your truck will not be without headlights.

What is done: JJ bakes open your headlight and takes out the stock projector and replaces it with an FX-R HID projector.

This is the projector that is used... 3" version.http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=101

Here is a picture of an open 13/14 headlight from his facebook page. I recommend you all have a look there to see his work.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Anymore questions you have should be answered by looking through the millions of pictures he has on his facebook page. However if you still have any please ask them here I will do my best to respond.

Chrome... in moderation.
Sponsored links
Old 09-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Limited 6'4"
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:30
astonius is on a distinguished road

Good info, Arth. It looks like this replaces both high and low. If we were to order the kit ourselves and do the install does it come with everything needed (ballasts, wiring, etc)?
Old 09-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by astonius View Post
Good info, Arth. It looks like this replaces both high and low. If we were to order the kit ourselves and do the install does it come with everything needed (ballasts, wiring, etc)?
There isn't an all inclusive kit that you can order to do this yourself.

This retrofit only replaces the low beam projector.. the high beam is left alone because with the new projector the light output is crazy. Plus when you flip on your high beams it lifts the shield on the projector allowing more light to come out.

The retroshop had a custom mount made so he could fit the FX-R projector into the newer headlights. He hasn't given any information out about that mount so unfortunately he is the only one who can do this retrofit currently.

When you buy from him you get this depending on what you choose:

A set of cores to tide you over for the time being
All labor completed by him
Paint inside the housing... if you want
FX-R HID projector installed
HID bulbs and ballasts if you buy from him

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:22 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie
Color: Cherry Red
Rep:465
Monster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by country-boy View Post
Monster - Did you do this in 2014? Did you replace with the 9012/HIR2 lamps only (the ones that handle BOTH low/high beams, or did you replace the additional highbeams with 9005/HB3 too?
Did the HIDs in my 2013 Laramie. The HIDs (projector lamps) do not have a dual mode but they stay on when the high beams are on.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:29 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport 4x4 CC 6'4"
Color: White
Rep:56
RJWNY will become famous soon enough

OR, if you have 650 bucks, you buy a set of brand new OEM heads through JJ, he works on them and sends them to you....then you install them, and remove the stock headlights and sell them for your 650 back...or around that.

that is what I will be doing once my '14 comes in. JJs work is AMAZING.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:31 AM

Monster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arth View Post
This is where the retroshop differs. You just put HID's into your halogen-projector. While the output is better...it isn't the best.

Retrofitted headlights, same HIDS:

Your comparison photos raised my curiosity. Here is a picture of my 55 watt, 4300K, retro solution HIDs in my factory Laramie projectors. My results look more like your after picture than your before picture. The before picture you posted, what was the source of the lighting?

I also posted a picture of how my headlamps light the way, this is on a country road, early morning, no street lighting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130909-064339_EVT_D_001.jpg (87.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20130909-060332_NOR_D_001.jpg (50.9 KB, 53 views)
Old 09-09-2013, 08:35 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Color: Granite Crystal
Rep:87
country-boy will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the comparison Monster. That makes more sense to me. I don't doubt that the high end solution might be better. The question is, for 4x the price (or more), is the result worth it? I think the retro solutions 55w is good enough for me.

Monster - were you at all concerned with issues with the lighting controller or the warranty? What made you go ahead and do it?
Old 09-10-2013, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the comparison Monster. That makes more sense to me. I don't doubt that the high end solution might be better. The question is, for 4x the price (or more), is the result worth it?
No, because I don't see a difference. The only advantage I can see is the new projectors retro installs have a shutter which, when high beams are turned on, lowers the shutter removing the cut-off line of the projected light.

The real value of the refit is for those who do not have factory projectors.

Quote:
I think the retro solutions 55w is good enough for me.
Monster - were you at all concerned with issues with the lighting controller or the warranty? What made you go ahead and do it?
The wiring harness from retro satisfies the electrical requirements of the BCM which manages the lighting. The headlamps are driven by FET circuits that have feedback so the BCM can tell if the feed to the headlamp is shorted to ground, power, or open. The retro harness has loading resistors that pull enough current to make the BCM think the halogens are in place.

I have a set of older 62 year old eyes, live rural, drive dirt and country roads, sometimes in the rain, during the earling morning hours. I need all the light I can get in front of me with out blinding on-coming motorist.

As far as warranty, no, I am not worried. Brush up on the Magnuson-Moss warranty act.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster5601 View Post
Your comparison photos raised my curiosity. Here is a picture of my 55 watt, 4300K, retro solution HIDs in my factory Laramie projectors. My results look more like your after picture than your before picture. The before picture you posted, what was the source of the lighting?

I also posted a picture of how my headlamps light the way, this is on a country road, early morning, no street lighting.
Unfortunately I can't get a good picture of the difference.

If you look at my after picture and your before picture you have two giant hot spots of light and some cutoff/spreading of the light. My projectors have a sharp cutoff and the amount of light output can not be compared.

This is one of those things IMO that really needs to be seen in person.

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arth View Post
Unfortunately I can't get a good picture of the difference.

I should have said in the original posting that the two pictures I posted were from my dash-cam which has a 140 degree field of view, there is optical distortion that is best illustrated by the roof line of the building.

If you look at my after picture and your before picture you have two giant hot spots of light and some cutoff/spreading of the light. My projectors have a sharp cutoff and the amount of light output can not be compared.

This is one of those things IMO that really needs to be seen in person.
Those two bumps in the lighting pattern align with the wheels. They place an extension of light where the wheels are going to be. Looking to the left, you can see the cut-off line slowly tapering down, this removes the light from an on-coming motorist. The cut-off line to the right remains consistent providing what I call, deer spotting light, these patterns are by design. The cut-off is sharp but doesn't show well against the fence. I think the supplier to Chrysler that designed the projector lamps did an excellent job.

A projector can only distribute the light provided it. I disagree with your last statement, I don't see any indication that either projector has much difference in the amount of light output, that is hard if not impossible to capture with a camera unless done side by side. The projector lens simply distributes the light in a pre-defined pattern. It is the lumina of the light that provides the illumination.

Here is another pattern we are developing suited for low-profile vehicles where the vehicle does not have the height above ground to through the light out far. The newer lighting systems will have two HID sources in each lamp housing, one fix and one that moves with the steering angle.

The projectors near the bottom are Phillips and have motors in them so the control module can auto-level the projector.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-09-10 12.20.23 (Medium).jpg (100.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-09-10 12.20.42 (Medium).jpg (105.1 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Monster5601; 09-11-2013 at 05:13 AM.