DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 ram 1500 sport
Color: White
Rep:10
Gred is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission tail shaft seal question

Hey guys,
Going to replace seal and fluid. Question..best way to remove it?? When installing should it be lubed? Does the rubber boot go inward or outward. I think it goes outward
image.jpg

Last edited by Gred; 09-07-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 09-09-2013, 07:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gred View Post
Hey guys,
Going to replace seal and fluid. Question..best way to remove it?? When installing should it be lubed? Does the rubber boot go inward or outward. I think it goes outward
Attachment 38617
Play close attention to what I am about to say because it is crucial, I have ran into a seal problem with this tailshaft seal many times in the past because of a slight discrepancy between two similar looking seals.

First to remove it, I would use the seal remover tool however that is going to be hard to find so try and use a flat head screw driver or fine tip chisel and try to wedge it between the seal body flange endand the tail shaft case flange end. They are very difficult to remove if they have been installed for more than 10 years, trust me I know from doing the rebuilds.

Once you remove it you are going to want to get the correct seal, the correct seal is NOT Timken 7300S or substitute. I made the mistake twice of getting this seal and the seal backed out of the bore twice while going 90 and I lost a quart of transmission fluid. I measured the bore with my caliper and the seal diameter and found out the 7300S is way too small, although the cross reference charts tell us to use 7300S, DO NOT USE IT unless you want to drop a quart of transmission fluid at high speed like I did.

The correct seal to use is actually Timken 2465! I measured the outer diameter and this seal is actually the correct one for our transmissions. I guess someone in records made a boo boo.

Timken 2465 can be had for 8.99 at autozone. You can also pick it up at any other autoparts store. Just be sure it is Timken 2465, from my experience these seals will hold in place. I do recommend that you use sleeve retaining compound on the edge of the seal just to prevent it from backing out of the tail shaft, although the chances of that happening are so slim because of the snug fit, I prefer safe than oops.

Sleeve retainer can be picked up at your local napa auto, comes in a little pinch pinch container and it is green. Just look where the thread locker is and you should be able to find the sleeve retainer. Be SURE to clean off all the transmission fluid from the tail shaft seal bore as the fluid will expand when heated as will the transmission case and the chances of seal drop out are greatly increased.

So word of the wise, stay away from 7300S!

Oh yeah, rubber boot goes outward (pointing towards the rear axle), and yes put some transmission fluid or petrol jelly on the seal lip (not the rubber boot but the seal the is inside the metal portion of the seal body). Also when installing the seal, check for a little hole inside of the boot, the hole points down at the ground (to drain any water or transmission fluid). Also, if you are having a hard time installed the seal squarely, use a 2.5" exhaust pipe as a seal driver with a small block of wood at the end for the hammer.

Last edited by ramvan2500; 09-09-2013 at 07:50 AM.