DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-26-2013, 12:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
Peter28 is on a distinguished road
Default Aftermarket Rim Offset?

Hey guys, I was hoping someone might be able to help me out. I finally sorted my own issue with my tires and i'm all set. I'm now asking a question for my cousins 07 ram 1500.

Hes looking to pick up the XD Rockstar 20" rims and throw a pair of 35" nitto trail grapplers on them. The offset of them is -23 i believe. While i think i understand the theory of the offset, I do not know if these rims will present an issue. I feel that maybe they will be sticking out of the fenders a good amount? I'm running trail grapplers on my stock 20" rims and it looks great. Anyone have any experience in offset and/or know if these rims will fit with or without issues? Thanks in advance guys.
Sponsored links
Old 10-26-2013, 12:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:517
shawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of light

Yes! A negative offset will make them stick about. A -23 will stick out quite abit. Id imagine 1.5" or so.

Maybe someone else with a similar offset can chime in with a pic to give you an idea??
12 RCSB Express- 5%Tint, Gatorhyde spray-in, Black OEM Tips, Plasti Dip badges and Interior, CBE muffler,AFE CAI, Kenwood DDX370, Ks3.5s, Pioneer 6x9s,BT 964SP lowered on oem chrome 17's and some LEDs... Plenty on the To-Do list

New audio build in progress
Old 10-26-2013, 12:25 AM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold
Arrow

First off we need to know what kind of level/lift he has, are the tires 1250's or 1350's?

As far as the offset goes here is a nice chart to figure out how much farther they will stick out, you take the difference add the rim width difference, and then divide that number by 2 and then you will know how much farther the rim will stick out, then say the factory tires are 10" and your new tires is 12.5" then you take the difference there divide it by 2 and add then add it to the figure from the rim you came up with to see how much farther the tires will stick out from the current location.

So for instance by the chart above assuming your budy has a 9" wide rim with a +19mm offset, and the new wheel is 10" wide with a -23mm offset we can see that there is roughly a 1.67" difference in offset, then we add the difference in wheel width so we have 10"-9"=1"/2=.5" so we have 2.17"

then to figure out how far the tire will stick out " wise from where the factory wheel is we would take the width of the factory tire subtract it from the new tire (we will use a 25x1250 in this example) 12.5"=10"=2.5" divide that number by 2 and we get 2.5"/2= 1.75" and we add that number to the difference in offset and we get 1.75"+2.17"=3.92".

So your new setup would appear to be 3.92" farther out than the factory set up. You can use this formula to help you figure pretty accurate actual numbers if you can be certain these are the offsets, and you measure the actual width of the tires.

Hope this helps, and makes since.

Thanks
Jeremiah

Last edited by Bully's Performance; 10-26-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks Shawn, i had a feeling thats how it would be. Would a negative offset give the rim more space between the upper control arm and tire or not really have any effect on that?
Old 10-26-2013, 12:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Jeremiah, thats a big help also. Thanks. Didnt see your post at first. He has the same leveling kit as me which is 2.5" Pro Runner SS adjustable shocks. I'm thinking in order to keep the tires from sticking out he would need a zero or positive offset. Thanks for both of you guys for your help. I'm really liking this forum, you guys are helpful
Old 10-26-2013, 12:40 AM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter28 View Post
Jeremiah, thats a big help also. Thanks. Didnt see your post at first. He has the same leveling kit as me which is 2.5" Pro Runner SS adjustable shocks. I'm thinking in order to keep the tires from sticking out he would need a zero or positive offset. Thanks for both of you guys for your help. I'm really liking this forum, you guys are helpful
If just on a level kit I would recommend with a 35x1250r20 not going any more than a +6mm or smaller all the way to a -24mm, with a 35x1350r20 I would go with something between -6mm and -24mm and not much less than that as you may start to get minor rub when at full lock (some 3rd gens notice this with 1350's starting around a -18mm when only leveled) always remember the smaller the offset the farther out it sticks.

If you did a full 6" lift the most I would recommend would be a -44mm offset and that with most lifts when running a 35x1350 require a tad bit of trimming to the lower valance, some more than others.

Hey no problem for the help that is what we are here for

and yea the froumZ are some of the best boards out there, and the information here is also some of the best free info available, you will find some scientific stuff here and a lot of first hand experience on things to all of which is very nice, and the people here are great, I could go on and on about the good things about the Z but as you browse and such you will see what I am talking about.

Thanks
Jeremiah
Old 10-26-2013, 01:19 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Rep:517
shawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of light

Yes. That brings your rim further away from the control arms for more clearance.

Yes again, a zero offset would stick out just a little, i think would look great.

Sounds like youre on the right track
12 RCSB Express- 5%Tint, Gatorhyde spray-in, Black OEM Tips, Plasti Dip badges and Interior, CBE muffler,AFE CAI, Kenwood DDX370, Ks3.5s, Pioneer 6x9s,BT 964SP lowered on oem chrome 17's and some LEDs... Plenty on the To-Do list

New audio build in progress
Old 10-26-2013, 01:52 PM

Vehicle: 2007 RAM
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:64
NWRQC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bully's Performance View Post
First off we need to know what kind of level/lift he has, are the tires 1250's or 1350's?

As far as the offset goes here is a nice chart to figure out how much farther they will stick out, you take the difference add the rim width difference, and then divide that number by 2 and then you will know how much farther the rim will stick out, then say the factory tires are 10" and your new tires is 12.5" then you take the difference there divide it by 2 and add then add it to the figure from the rim you came up with to see how much farther the tires will stick out from the current location.

So for instance by the chart above assuming your budy has a 9" wide rim with a +19mm offset, and the new wheel is 10" wide with a -23mm offset we can see that there is roughly a 1.67" difference in offset, then we add the difference in wheel width so we have 10"-9"=1" add it to the difference in offset so 1"+1.67"=2.67" divide this number by 2 and we get 2.67/2=1.335" so your new rim would stick out 1.335" farther than the current factory wheel based off the numbers you gave us.

then to figure out how far the tire will stick out " wise from where the factory wheel is we would take the width of the factory tire subtract it from the new tire (we will use a 25x1250 in this example) 12.5"=10"=2.5" divide that number by 2 and we get 2.5"/2= 1.75" and we add that number to the difference in offset and we get 1.75"+1.335"=3.085" round up to 3.1"

So your new setup would appear to be 3.1" farther out than the factory set up. You can use this formula to help you figure prett accurate actual numbers if you can be certain these are the offsets, and you measure the actual width of the tires.

Hope this helps, and makes since.

Thanks
Jeremiah
Just curious as to why you are dividing the calculation in half?
With the specs given (10" -23 offset vs 9" +19 offset wheels). The new wheels will stick out 55mm (2.16") further than the stock wheel.
The new wheels offset pushes the wheel 42mm out from the stock position Then add the width difference 1" (divide that by 2 since half of the width is on either side of the wheel center line) which gives you about 13mm and a grand total of 55mm further out with 29mm more inner clearance.
Thats rim edge to rim edge. Tires vary so much from the manufactures calculated size the only real way to figure that out is to measure the tire.
Make it 56mm since the 20x10 rockstars are -24 offset..
Old 10-26-2013, 02:18 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRQC View Post
Just curious as to why you are dividing the calculation in half?
With the specs given (10" -23 offset vs 9" +19 offset wheels). The new wheels will stick out 55mm (2.16") further than the stock wheel.
The new wheels offset pushes the wheel 42mm out from the stock position Then add the width difference 1" (divide that by 2 since half of the width is on either side of the wheel center line) which gives you about 13mm and a grand total of 55mm further out with 29mm more inner clearance.
Thats rim edge to rim edge. Tires vary so much from the manufactures calculated size the only real way to figure that out is to measure the tire.
Make it 56mm since the 20x10 rockstars are -24 offset..
Yes you are correct, that is my fault not sure where I was getting the dividing the difference in offset by 2 from, as you only divide the difference in rim size by 2 I must have been thinking faster than I can type last night when I was typing up that post. for catching my mistake

and I agree 100% on the tire portion of it as I stated the only true way to figure that would be to actually measure the tires

Thanks
Jeremiah

Last edited by Bully's Performance; 10-26-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the clarity guys. I think i'll just get the 1/4 inch spacers on my ram so i can stop the light rubbing and my cousin is going to go with 8.5 inch rims instead of the 10 inch rims he was planning and everyone is happy lol