DODGE RAM FORUM banner

How do you like Uconnect 8.4?

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  J Roc 
#1 ·
I'm picking up a new 2013 Ram 1500 on Monday. It has Uconnect 8.4 on it. I'm a low tech person and I don’t really care for it and would have preferred 5.0 but this truck had everything else I wanted. I'm mostly concerned about how the touch screen controls for the heating/cooling will work in the winter ( I line in MN) and if this thing is durable. Have there been many problems with it? Again, I'm not concerned with the "connectivity" part of it just how it works in the winter and if there are issues with the touch controls.

#2 ·
Its awesome. Once you get used to all the features you will never want a cheap system again. The climate controls are on the dash below the entertainment system also I havent had any problems with it. If you have a smartphone pair it and you'll enjoy streaming Pandora, Iheart radio or your downloaded music.

#3 ·
The new Rams with the 8.4 radios have redundant Climate Controls
not only can you control the CC with the radios touch screen, there is also the normal control knobs to control the CC

I suggest that if you don't have the radio that comes with the Navigation already installed
that you use a separate unit, like a garmin nuvi, tom-tom, magellan, etc. device

#9 · (Edited)
I'm OK with the 8.4AN so far, couple lockups and crashes but for the most part its been working as expected.

The new Rams with the 8.4 radios have redundant Climate Controls
not only can you control the CC with the radios touch screen, there is also the normal control knobs to control the CC
Redundant when everything is working but when the radio freezes up the regular knobs/buttons for the climate control doesnt do anything.

#5 ·
i've never used the touch controls for climate. i prefer to use the knobs and buttons below the screen. the 8.4 is probably one of the best systems available (2nd to the 17" monster in the Tesla Model S), but unfortunately they've been known to crash pretty frequently. usually it'll just reset itself but sometimes you have to turn the truck completely off to get it to start up again. even with the weekly crash, I still think its the best setup i've ever had in a vehicle.

#8 ·
I think the concern is related to whether the display will work at all when he climbs into the truck on a nice february day when the truck has sat in minus 20 degree temps for a few days.

This technology is great but it has it's limitations. I just hope they thoroughly tested it rather than allowing us to be their guinea pigs!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.