DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-08-2013, 04:04 PM
Ram Ham

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1475
KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of
Default Mirror Turn Signals?

My Ram has the tow mirrors that are split.. the outer blind spot mirror that can be adjusted up and down manually and the inner (larger) main mirror that is power adjustable, has a heating element and can be set to lower automatically when the truck is put into reverse (cool feature, btw). And the overall mirror assembly itself can be flipped upward to stand further out from the main body so as to give a wider viewing angle when towing.

Neither my Ram or I have suffered any physical damage yet, but it seems despite the addition of my Recon Xtreme tailgate light bar (with scanning turn signal feature) and the Recon Big Rig bars which flash amber during turns are not enough for other motorists to see and know that I am preparing to turn or change lanes. I have had a few close calls, inspiring me to look for even more lights or more ways to warn other drivers of my upcoming intentions.

I found these mirror turn signals on eBay, from a trusted seller I have previously dealt with. Here is a link to how they install. It seems straight forward and like something I could accomplish on my own, accept for how to remove the mirror from the housing on my Ram.

My questions and concerns are these:
  • How difficult is it to remove the main mirror from the housing, as stated in the installation instructions (link above)?
  • The heating element doesn't seem to pose a problem (as the mirror used in the installation video has this feature), but I am concerned about how the array of movement my mirror is capable of and if this would cause a problem after install. Such as, once installed.. will the movement of my main mirror when tilting all the way down when in reverse pull the cords for these LEDs? Or something similar?
  • I do not use the tow/flip feature of my mirrors often (I actually have yet to need them in this position) yet I do realize that if I install these LED signals that they would be pointing down if in the tow position.. but this doesn't bother me as it would not be often that this was the case for me.
Bottom line:

I like these LED signals. I understand how they install (with the one hiccup of removing the main mirror from the housing). I like the after affect of adding yet one more indicator to my truck for impending turns.

I'm hoping for some feedback on this idea. If you have installed similar LEDs to your truck, or even if you haven't.. I will appreciate any info or suggestions or criticism on this potential plan of mine. Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 09-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly think those will be more of a distraction to you than helpful. If you are wanting to put those LED's near the main glass they will flash back towards you.

At night I can't see that helping your night vision at all.

What I did, since are trucks look fairly close at night, is add some LED tails. The amount of attention grabbing light they put out compared to stock is substantial.

I know you said you don't want to replace anything that is in good working order with your truck and all but in this case I would consider it a viable upgrade.

Here is what I mean...

LED Tails:

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA1OTE View Post

• How difficult is it to remove the main mirror from the housing, as stated in the installation instructions (link above)?

Its not hard but its not easy, I have seen many do it and if there a bit tight you run a chance you will break your mirror, the plastic backing that holds that glass mirror is somewhat flexible and will flex when you pull on it, if your lucky it will pop right out with no issues, you can even check at its most upward facing position the clips that hold it in, once those clips are released the top part is just hooked so the Glass lens will fall off the housing with the backing.

• The heating element doesn't seem to pose a problem (as the mirror used in the installation video has this feature), but I am concerned about how the array of movement my mirror is capable of and if this would cause a problem after install. Such as, once installed.. will the movement of my main mirror when tilting all the way down when in reverse pull the cords for these LEDs? Or something similar?
I don't think you will have issues, as long as you leave a bit of loose, the wires are located more towards the center of the mirror area where there is less movement or distance of movement when the you position the mirror.

• I do not use the tow/flip feature of my mirrors often (I actually have yet to need them in this position) yet I do realize that if I install these LED signals that they would be pointing down if in the tow position.. but this doesn't bother me as it would not be often that this was the case for me.
Bottom line:

I like these LED signals. I understand how they install (with the one hiccup of removing the main mirror from the housing). I like the after affect of adding yet one more indicator to my truck for impending turns.

I'm hoping for some feedback on this idea. If you have installed similar LEDs to your truck, or even if you haven't.. I will appreciate any info or suggestions or criticism on this potential plan of mine. Thanks!

Myself I do all my mods, from electrical to mechanical, I would not pull my mirror apart to install a set of LED's that will attempt to shine through the mirror reflector and the glass and everything else that sits between the backing and the front of the glass, If you look at real original mirrors that have LED's behind them, there is no mirror reflection material in front of the LED. Look at pic number 4 and look how dark it is around the mirror, its like they darkened it so you can see them. Compare that image with the ones from the item on ebay, way less bright once installed. I think they look real nice, but to go to the point of possible breaking a 60$ glass reflective lens, pulling up the heater element (chance of that not working no more) to cut into the mirror wiring that is already a area that will get moisture and do all this only to see that its there, it works but it seems to look dull cause its shining through the whole lens to get out to the other side I myself would not attempt it. And I have done some pretty deep Mods on my truck. JMO

Also maybe its just the peeps in your area that don't look to see what other vehicles are doing and adding all this on top of all the rest you already have on your truck that flashes with your turn signal and they still don't see you I would tend to think it won't help. If there not looking, there not gonna see the little dull arrow in your mirrors. JMO

Also, Stop cutting people off with your big truck, maybe they will see you more if you come in more slowly

Old 09-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 CNG BiFuel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
ryanhoelzer is on a distinguished road

You have the tow mirrors without the lights right? You could always upgrade to the tow mirrors with lights in them. I've been looking at going to them from non tows on mine. Should be a simple swap but then have to have the computer programmed for the option from what I understand.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 / 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Outdoorsman Crew Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:1043
gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of

You will find no matter how many lights you have, people will not pay attention. These people think the world rotates around them and everyone else should just get out of there way because they are always right and it’s never there fault.

I watched a car drive right into a flashing construction lane closed arrow after running over about 10 rubber cones. The driver said I never saw the cones or the flashing sign.

I drive a motorcycle (painted white) that has been triked (3 wheels and as big as a small car) and I have 2 HID headlights (5000k) and 2 Hid yellow fog lights (3000K) that are always on. I also ware a florescent yellow riding jacket. Cars and trucks pull out in front of me all the time and give me that stupid look that I didn't see you.

So buying a couple of small hidden lights I think just will not help. (sorry for the story and rant)

Greg

Old 09-10-2013, 09:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 2500HD
Trim Level: Big Horn
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:563
Iqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA1OTE View Post
My Ram has the tow mirrors that are split.. the outer blind spot mirror that can be adjusted up and down manually and the inner (larger) main mirror that is power adjustable, has a heating element and can be set to lower automatically when the truck is put into reverse (cool feature, btw). And the overall mirror assembly itself can be flipped upward to stand further out from the main body so as to give a wider viewing angle when towing.

Neither my Ram or I have suffered any physical damage yet, but it seems despite the addition of my Recon Xtreme tailgate light bar (with scanning turn signal feature) and the Recon Big Rig bars which flash amber during turns are not enough for other motorists to see and know that I am preparing to turn or change lanes. I have had a few close calls, inspiring me to look for even more lights or more ways to warn other drivers of my upcoming intentions.

I found these mirror turn signals on eBay, from a trusted seller I have previously dealt with. Here is a link to how they install. It seems straight forward and like something I could accomplish on my own, accept for how to remove the mirror from the housing on my Ram.

Bottom line:

Here is my two cents I tow a 30' trailer and had the same problem you were explaining what I did was install the Recon big rig lights, and LED blinkers in the wheel wells I have not had an issue since. here is a pic sorry about the crappy pic but you get the idea. Any questions more than happy to help you

And if that doesn't work install a set of train horns that way they don't have to see you they will here you as they come into your lane and you very casually hit "THE BUTTON"... They will here you

To many mods to list ask and I shall give you all the information, and help I can.
Everything from outside to interior.

Last edited by Iqudayo; 09-10-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:01 AM
Ram Ham

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1475
KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arth View Post
I honestly think those will be more of a distraction to you than helpful. If you are wanting to put those LED's near the main glass they will flash back towards you.

At night I can't see that helping your night vision at all.
Point taken. I hadn't considered the fact that these may be more visible to ME then anyone else. Thanks, Arth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
Also, Stop cutting people off with your big truck, maybe they will see you more if you come in more slowly
I am one of the nicest truck drivers on my local roads and perhaps too offensive when up in SLC! My husband keeps telling me I should throw my weight around (since I do outweigh all of the imports that seem to dominate I-15 up north) then I wouldn't spend half my time cursing when driving to the SLC VA. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanhoelzer View Post
You have the tow mirrors without the lights right?
No, I have the tow mirrors with integrated signals. They just don't seem to be noticed as often as one might think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcscott View Post
So buying a couple of small hidden lights I think just will not help. (sorry for the story and rant)

Greg
Now that I have heard this suggestion and mulled it over, I totally agree.
(No need to apologize! That's what this forum is here for.. vent away! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iqudayo View Post
Here is my two cents I tow a 30' trailer and had the same problem you were explaining what I did was install the Recon big rig lights, and LED blinkers in the wheel wells I have not had an issue since. here is a pic sorry about the crappy pic but you get the idea. Any questions more than happy to help you

And if that doesn't work install a set of train horns that way they don't have to see you they will here you as they come into your lane and you very casually hit "THE BUTTON"... They will here you
I too have Recon Big Rigs installed but I very much like the added wheel well lights idea! Very intriguing! I would be most interested in hearing how you accomplished this (what product(s) you used, install method, etc) or point me to a writeup thread I can thumb through. Just curious as to how visible they are at different viewing angles..?

As for the aftermarket horn topic.. I would absolutely ADORE the addition of a semi horn. O.M.G. would I ever. I would not abuse it as some I have encountered in the past have (i.e., blow it in neighborhoods or just to scare their friends). Would be nice to have "The Button" to press to accompany my six lights. lol