DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-25-2013, 12:29 AM
Stickers add Horsepower

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2778
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper15 View Post
Ok I'm New to this. What is an S&B? Is it a type of cold air intake?
Cold air intake and filter company..
http://www.sbfilters.com/
Tow mirrors up for all the haters
Sponsored links
Old 09-26-2013, 06:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x2
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
deekum1627 is on a distinguished road

I'm gonna be ordering the S&B next week can't wait. Seems to be the one to get.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:19 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

Both are great Units! However in all honestly I have found a new intake that I am starting to prefer more and more, there are only a couple people here on the Z running them, and they are not talked about that much (mainly known over in the Challenger/Charger/300 side of the Z however Leg Maker Intakes makes one of the highest quality CAI's I have ever seen and they are priced very reasonable for being actual Carbon Fiber!

OH FORGOT TO MENTION, the filter they use is an S&B filter so you are getting top notch filter match with top notch craftsmanship can't go wrong

The CAI I am talking about is the LMI feel free to check them out here is a couple pics. Each unit is hand crafted from raw carbon fiber!

(don't mean to mix it up just have to let everyone know of other options, of coarse the Vararam and S&B are still excellent products you can check out the Vararam's here http://bullysperformance.com/vararam...rucks-126.html)

Full Leg Maker Intake Line

Dodge RAM Leg Maker Intakes

LMI MID Tube CAI (09-13) 5.7

This Natural CARBON FIBER intake tube will fit all 5.7L Dodge Ram Hemi's from 2009-2012. The LMI MID Tube CAI (09-13) 5.7 utilizes the factory airbox so you can maintain a sealed air intake, It replaces the restrictive factory intake tube with a 4" Carbon Fiber replacement.

This kit Includes:
LMI Carbon fiber intake tune
clamps
couplers
18" IAT extension harness to relocate the IAT sensor into the intake flange of the OEM airbox.

The factory engine cover will work with this intake!

LMI Short Ram CAI (09-13) 5.7

o Carbon Fiber construction
o Unique fabrication process resulting in smooth inner surface to ensure smooth airflow
o 4€ diameter carbon fiber tube with 45* bend to allow for placement of filter over air intake opening in fender well
o S&B Filter with 8 layer protection (oil type)
o Hi-temp rubber coupler
o High quality €œT€-bolt band clamps
o Available to fit both stock and 90mm throttle bodies
o Drilled for IAT sensor
o Oil breather filter (red,blue,silver)
o All necessary hardware and instruction for DIY installation

and of coarse a review from one of our fellow Z members

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
This. Is. Awesome!!!!!

For those that don't know Chris a.k.a. Legmaker, he is a man passionate about the hemi engine and has designed THE best intake systems for the LX/LC/WX platforms of hemis (charger, challenger, 300, magnum, SRTGC). His systems not only look amazing they are top quality when it comes to performance. I had his hammer intake on my '07 with a 6.1L intake manifold swap and that intake was a thing of beauty.

For anyone wanting to retain the factory air box but improve the intake pipe or swap to a proper short ram intake, Chris makes the intake for you.
Thanks for the read (sorry for the sales not generally my style but this is truly a product to be considered and everyone should know )

Jeremiah

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!

Last edited by Bully's Performance; 09-26-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:364
spoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nice

I have a 13 and could not justify the S&B over the standard ram airbox. The Airbox on the 13's are arguably... an excellent CAI. drop in a K&N or other free flowing filter and you got yerself a S&B.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:18 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiler View Post
The Airbox on the 13's are arguably... an excellent CAI. drop in a K&N or other free flowing filter and you got yerself a S&B.
You keep telling yourself that.....

Grub out!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:364
spoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
You keep telling yourself that.....

I'm sorry... I did say arguably.... what were those performance gains you got again?
Old 09-26-2013, 09:42 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3272
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

If I didn't need to remove the factory box or hadn't swapped to the 6.1L intake manifold I would be running the Legmaker short ram intake. I know people will complain about there being no sealed box, but when you want performance, you remove all restrictions around a filter, period. Intake temps play less of a role in performance (within reason of course) compared to flow velocity, and once you're moving there is plenty of cold air rushing up to that filter location. It's only at idle that you see an increase in IAT compared to when moving, also the carbon fiber doesn't heatsoak like plastic or steel tubes do.

If you prefer increased filtration, then you want a dry media sealed box.

As for the vararam, I personally hate the thing, you need to increase intake velocity to make the most use of our intake manifold's variable runner length design, so replacing a velocity tube with a large reservoir type filter is counter productive. Yes you have low IATs but now flow speed.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:57 PM

Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiler View Post
I'm sorry... I did say arguably.... what were those performance gains you got again?
The same as you're getting with your Walmart purchased K&N drop-in....

Grub out!
Old 09-26-2013, 10:33 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3272
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
The same as you're getting with your Walmart purchased K&N drop-in....
Kinda shot yourself in the foot with that one. By that comment you got the same gains with your S&B as he did with the drop in. Just sayin'.

Grub, there is times when a drop in is better than a CAI. I would never run a CAI on my work truck just because of the sheer amount of dust I drive in. Unless I could get a sealed box with a pre-filter it would be just as bad as running a stock paper filter and cost me twice as much. But, since my fun truck is all about performance, neither the S&B,drop in, or Vararam are anywhere near my radar screen as they both have very poor performance.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:43 PM

Yeah I realized that [shot foot] right after I posted but said "fugg it," I'm not editing it. Poor wording. That's what 8 beers does to you [me].

I use to be a fan of drop-ins and to some degree still am. If I don't want to touch a car, I'll put a drop-in. My 11' Tahoe is a recent example.

But to say a drop-in is on par with a sealed CAI assembly, nah, I don't buy it.

Grub out!