DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-04-2013, 11:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
whitec2712 is on a distinguished road
Angry Paint Issues

I have a 2013 Ram that is about 6 months old. I know some of you are having problems with your paint. I have several places with trash under the paint. Is this what you all are experiencing with yours? I also have a spot on top of the cab that is actually peeling off. Has any one else had problems with paint peeling off of a brand new truck? I only have 6900 miles on it and I am very disappointed with the paint job.
Sponsored links
Old 09-05-2013, 12:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie Limited
Trim Level: Limited
Color: Black
Rep:42
Alter Ego Trip is on a distinguished road

Yes, unfortunately. We have gotten a lot of trucks of the transport that have had numerous flaws. We have painted a handful over the last year due to paint problems. Mine has a few dirt nibs in it, but not enough to screw with.

I haven't seen any issues with the clear coat though, or peeling paint. Funny part is; Chrysler knows that have a problem in this area. Doesn't help any, but hopefully it will improve.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:27 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn Quad Cab
Color: White
Rep:45
tguil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego Trip View Post
Yes, unfortunately. We have gotten a lot of trucks of the transport that have had numerous flaws. We have painted a handful over the last year due to paint problems. Mine has a few dirt nibs in it, but not enough to screw with.

I haven't seen any issues with the clear coat though, or peeling paint. Funny part is; Chrysler knows that have a problem in this area. Doesn't help any, but hopefully it will improve.
I am on my third Ram and I'll not buy another until the paint improves. I honestly believe that some owners who claim to have excellent paint really don't look all that closely. Was at the dealer yesterday and checked out a new black crew cab. It had numerous dust nibs, especially on the hood. A lot of times the paint looks great in the sunlight, but not so hot under fluorescent lighting.
2012 White Hemi 1500 QC, 4X4, Big Horn Edition, Protection Group, Luxury Group, 3.92 Anti-Spin, Mopar Bedliner, Mopar Tubular Side Steps, Mopar Molded Mud Guards, Access Roll Up Tonneau, Michelin LTX M/S 2's
Old 09-05-2013, 12:02 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Ram CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:117
KJ48 will become famous soon enoughKJ48 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tguil View Post
I am on my third Ram and I'll not buy another until the paint improves. I honestly believe that some owners who claim to have excellent paint really don't look all that closely. Was at the dealer yesterday and checked out a new black crew cab. It had numerous dust nibs, especially on the hood. A lot of times the paint looks great in the sunlight, but not so hot under fluorescent lighting.
I've had three new 4th gen rams as well and the paint wasnt that great on any of them, but the paint isnt something I obsess over. The '13 F150 I sold had nicer paint, but the sheetmeteal was wavy and nothing lined up.

I just try not to look too close, but so far the paint has held up well on all of them. No peeling, fading etc, I wouldnt be too happy if it was peeling off though thats for sure.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:21 PM

When I bought my last Ram I chose it largely because the F-150's that I looked at had such "funky" sheet metal. Like you said wavy and stuff didn't line up right. Sort of forgot about that. Guess I better think Toyota next time. My wife has had four Tacomas.... no sheet metal or paint problems.....none.
2012 White Hemi 1500 QC, 4X4, Big Horn Edition, Protection Group, Luxury Group, 3.92 Anti-Spin, Mopar Bedliner, Mopar Tubular Side Steps, Mopar Molded Mud Guards, Access Roll Up Tonneau, Michelin LTX M/S 2's
Old 09-05-2013, 02:28 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:74
AirborneSilva will become famous soon enough

I've found a few spots with dirt in the paint, well 3 or 4, and while I wish that they weren't there I'm not going to get wrapped around the axle about it but for those that have much worse paint issues I feel bad for you and hope you can get them fixed. I don't plan to buy another Ram, or any other pickup since when this one is paid for I quit, retirement on the Big Island of Hawaii here I come, with 76 corvette and 13 Ram sport to tool around the island in

2013 Ram Sport
1976 Corvette L82

Old 09-05-2013, 04:26 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Ram CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:117
KJ48 will become famous soon enoughKJ48 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
When I bought my last Ram I chose it largely because the F-150's that I looked at had such "funky" sheet metal. Like you said wavy and stuff didn't line up right. Sort of forgot about that. Guess I better think Toyota next time. My wife has had four Tacomas.... no sheet metal or paint problems.....none.
If any trucks were perfect most people couldnt afford one, they all have their common problems. I just buy the ones with the common problems I could live with and paint (as long as it doesnt rust or fall off) doesnt matter much to me.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:39 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie Limited
Trim Level: Limited
Rep:42
Alter Ego Trip is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Guess I better think Toyota next time. My wife has had four Tacomas.... no sheet metal or paint problems.....none.
You apparently haven't looked at the Tundra paint up close. I'll take a Ram paint job any day.

Even if the Tundra had perfect paint; I certainly wouldn't by that abomination of a truck over anything else.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego Trip View Post
You apparently haven't looked at the Tundra paint up close. I'll take a Ram paint job any day.

Even if the Tundra had perfect paint; I certainly wouldn't by that abomination of a truck over anything else.
I agree the Tundra is an abomination but the Tacoma is a mighty fine truck. Sorry to get off topic.

Back to paint....for what many of us spend for these trucks, the paint should be much better. Back in the "good old days", there was a lot of bad paint and body work coming out of the factories. (Been buying new vehicles since 1961.) My first decent paint job on an American vehicle was on a 1998 Ford Expedition. My 2003 Ram was "so,so". My 2007 Ram had very good paint. The paint on my 2012 Ram had 79 dust/dirtnibs...some in every body panel except the tailgate. No excuse for this. It's a problem with the paint booth at the Warren Plant and the new waterborne paint process. Chrysler needs to fix it.

I should point out the the problems on the vehicles from the "good old days" were something else....thin paint, runs, file marks, sanding marks. dirt clods and body sealant under the paint, bad fit between panels and much, much more. However, we should not be making excuses for our modern day car/truck makers
Old 09-05-2013, 07:54 PM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

I totally understand what you are going through. I originally traded a 2011 Longhorn that had an exceptional paint job. I received my 13 Longhorn and took it home. As I waxed it, I found too many defects. I took the truck back to the dealer the next day. Truck remained there for over a month and a half. Dealt with Chrysler Canada which was not a good experience for me....However they were polite and wanted to repaint the 4 doors, hood and rear bumper....I was not happy with that and my dealer ordered me another truck. I received this truck in August and it still has some issues but not as bad as the last one.....I am very happy that I went with RAM it is a great looking truck best on the marker, JMO and the most comfortable. I would take it back to your dealer and have them look at it....Now is the time to point out other defects....If the truck needs to be painted, ensure the entire truck is repainted not just one area at a time....Good luck and please let us know how you make out.....

Ed

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"