DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:28
Tyler04Hemi is on a distinguished road
Default ISO advice - chips tbs and headers.

I have a 2004 5.7l and ive already put a catback exhaust and a cai on it...

What im trying to decide is bully dog hemiplus or diablo trinity or maybe even intune any advice on those?

Also looking at headers not wanting to spend a ton but shorties or long tube?

And tbs (throttle body spacer)??

After all this should I get a larger throttle body? Still have a stock tb.

Thanks all!
04 Laramie - AWD - Volant w/ Powercore - Pacesetter Longtubes - MBRP Cat-back - Diablosport Trinity - Hemifever Tuned - Sonnax Line Pressure Booster - 20" Eagle alloy 079 - Rancho 9000xls - Bushwacker Pocket Flares

Sponsored links
Old 09-09-2013, 10:55 PM
Man Up And Cam Up

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Rep:1010
Kamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud of

my advice on the tuner, is if you are set on those there go diablo, weather you go intune or trinity is up to your checkbook... they will both do the same thing tuning wise for you but the trinity as more of the cool effect.. as for headers, (this is just what i have heard, but being as all i have ever had is long tubes), is that the performance gains will be much greater from long tubes than shorties, that being said i have a 2005 4x4 hemi and i am running a set of obx long tubes that are very nice quality and you can get headers and y pipe for right around 500$, the other option that that most guys here use is a set of pacesetters with off road y pipe which if you can fins the right deal is not to much more than that. as for the tbs it is a waste of money on these trucks being that they are direct injection, unless you plan on using spray.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT 4x4
Rep:214
Gecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura about

Do you plan on getting a custom tune after you get the headers? That will give you the most gains but you will need a Diablo tuner if you want a custom tune. I would say go with the longtube headers as you get more out of them than you do the shorties. You'll also need a custom tune just to turn off the rear o2 sensors since LT's tend to trip CEL's (this is unless you do the non-fouler trick)

As for a throttle body, it's a good complimenting mod to headers. Again, you will see more out of it if you have headers already installed since with headers you can actually move the extra air your TB would bring in. A throttle body spacer is just an expensive paper weight for our engines. Unless you plan on running Nos there is no need for one in our engines.

I've got an 04 with LT's and a custom tune on a Diablosport Predator. I haven't gotten around to getting a new, larger TB yet but I do plan on doing so. But I'm in no rush to get that done. I'll probably get a torque converter first. Just my thoughts.
-Full Custom Dual Exhaust by Big Power Racing - Inertia Crazy Jay Plus Cam -Pacesetter LTs - BFI Composite #83 - Inertia Custom Tune - Dual DMH Cutouts - 87mm TB - 180* t-stat-
Old 09-10-2013, 12:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Do they make long tubes that are street legal? Meaning cats? And when you all say custom tune.. that means I make my own? Or how do I go about that?
04 Laramie - AWD - Volant w/ Powercore - Pacesetter Longtubes - MBRP Cat-back - Diablosport Trinity - Hemifever Tuned - Sonnax Line Pressure Booster - 20" Eagle alloy 079 - Rancho 9000xls - Bushwacker Pocket Flares

Old 09-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Man Up And Cam Up

Kamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud of

the favorite on here is hemifever, you will get your diablo tuner and then log data on it using the data logiing feature then send normally sean at hemifever your data and he will custom taylor a tune of your choice for your vehicle. as far as headers wise unless you go shorties and keep the stock downpipes then you dont have many options, the pace setters have an off road y pipe that compliments them but are just straight pipes back to the y, how ever the obx long tubes i just put on have resonators built in to the down pipes to give the illusion of having cats with out sacrificing flow and unless you take them off and look through them you can tell the difference between them and high flow cats
Old 09-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Thanks a lot. Do they charge for a custom tune? I think I might just go with some shorties and keep the cats on the safe side.

Is there a certain horsepower a stock tranny can handle before it needs to be upgraded?

Old 09-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Man Up And Cam Up

yes, but you can buy a tuner thru them with basically a voucher for a tune for a lower price or if you have a tuner already a i believe it is $125 for a custom tune from them. as far as the transmission judging by the mods you are talking about doing you should not have any issues with blowing a tranny that becomes more of an issue when you start going forced induction(but im not saying stranger things havent happened)
Old 09-10-2013, 03:06 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT 4x4
Rep:214
Gecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura about

You aways have the option of having the exhaust shop cut out your stock cats and weld them in after you do LT's. I know ARH makes catted midpipes for the '09 and up Rams but I'm not sure about ours.

You shouldn't have to worry about your transmission until you are putting down probably 400-500 HP at the wheels.

Also for the tuner, you can contact the guys a Bully's Performance and see if they offer a tuner with a custom tune option on it. Those guys have great customer service and will do everything they can to get you whatever your desired product is. Or you can contact Hemifever yourself and order a tuner through him with one of his custom tunes also. He'll work back and forth with you until you are 100% satisfied with his tune for your truck.
-Full Custom Dual Exhaust by Big Power Racing - Inertia Crazy Jay Plus Cam -Pacesetter LTs - BFI Composite #83 - Inertia Custom Tune - Dual DMH Cutouts - 87mm TB - 180* t-stat-
Old 09-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Appreciate all the nice comments and suggestions, thinking about a 180dg thermostat, any other suggestions for little performance mods?

Old 09-10-2013, 05:27 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Color: Satin Orange
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

gears.....................