DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-09-2013, 11:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
craig14 is on a distinguished road
Default Extracting manifold studs

Wondering who has replaced the passenger side manifold studs themselves and what to expect, i know its an ongoing issue with these, dealer doesnt seem to think so. Anyways just wondering how hard they were to take out and if any broke if they extracted easily with either a left hand drill and extractor. Never took it apart yet but am planning to this weekend. Also there trying to sell me the same garbage studs id imagine, what are the ideal studs to purchase.
Sponsored links
Old 09-09-2013, 11:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Rep:177
richmond has a spectacular aura aboutrichmond has a spectacular aura about

Well, your dealer is unknowledgeable to say the least (there's better words for them). I just had the drivers side done where 2 had sheared off. So my mechanic removed the manifold with the remaining studs/nuts and extracted the 2 that were sheared. He replaced the studs with higher grade ones. You can call Langford auto repair in Lebanon KY and ask Brock for the grade of studs just used on Richmond's 05 HEMI. If I'm not mistaken, they welded a nut to the sheared off studs and backed them out of there. If you prefer I ask, I'm more than willing and can respond back to this post (as a matter of fact I will). There will be others on our forum that need to know the correct high quality studs (I'll probably need to know for the passenger side in the coming years). Thanks for asking. R...

Last edited by richmond; 09-10-2013 at 12:19 AM. Reason: oops
Old 09-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Rep:177
richmond has a spectacular aura aboutrichmond has a spectacular aura about

I did some digging. According to Langford's they went Factory studs on the exhaust manifold. I tracked it down through Dodge Chrysler and the part number for an 05 HEMI 5.7 half ton is #6508218AA for manifold studs. I was missing the heat shield on the left side, so I also had that to contend with. Might right side had already been changed and the heat shield was intact. R...
Old 09-10-2013, 03:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red
NewfoundlandRam is on a distinguished road

My dealer knows its an issue as well. I have one of their mechanics work on my truck from his home garage. He replaced my passenger side manifold 6 months ago, and he just replaced my driver side one this weekend past. When will Dodge acknowledge this as a problem or have they? My local delaership replaced manifolds on four pickups last thrusday all 09-12.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
craig14 is on a distinguished road

Just a follow up for anyone who cares!!, took the job on tonight got the manifold off and stud out, it didnt shear flush so was able to remove it with vise grips. For anyone who wants to know how long it takes it took about an hour and a half on one side, dodge has been charging over 500 a side.. Crazyness, going to get studs tommorow and they will be getting an awful blasting from me. These shouldnt be a problem on a truck with so little miles.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 2WD
Trim Level: slt- lonestar
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:61
BULLRAM will become famous soon enough

You are lucky a lot of them break off with nothing to grab, or like mine are frozen in there , requiring head removal, and then they broke the head once on the bench, all was LIFETIME WARRANTY, but just a big mess.