DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-14-2013, 11:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge man View Post
I'm always one of those people thats skeptical of the "new great products". I had a friend that had a Corvette that just swore Zaino was the best thing since sliced bread. I have to admit I was impressed and love how long the stuff lasts. The Z2 is what you want to use on your car probably. The Z8 detail spray is also really good. The only problem with Zaino is its cost, its pretty pricey.
I have been using Zaino for over 15 years, there stuff is amazing, expensive but it lasts a long time, and you use very little of it, usually a bottle of Z2 will last me 2 years. There detailing spray is also amazing.
Sponsored links
Old 09-16-2013, 10:42 AM

Vehicle: 2013 1500, CC/6'4", Hemi/8 spd
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:352
DAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really nice

Wash- Zaino car wash. Super concentrated, just a little bit makes a bucket of the richest, thickest, most luxurious soap suds ever. Meguiars Gold from the store if I'm out of Zaino, but the Megs doesn't even compare.

Wax- I mostly use Zaino on the smaller vehicles, Z-2 usually. But for something like my Ram, which seems like it has an acre of sheet metal, I find Zaino just more work than I am willing to do. So I use products I find easier to apply and remove. A couple I've been using on larger rigs, are Wolfgang Deep Gloss 3.0 and 3M Synthetic wax. The Wolfgang is definitely easier to apply and buff off than Zaino and gives a nice glossy finish. But the 3M is SUPER easy to use, you don't let it dry, just apply by machine and wipe off while still wet. Maybe not quite the shine of Zaino or Wolfgang, but seems to protect fairly well and last fairly long, and so much easier to use than anything that you have to let dry before buffing, it is becoming my go-to for anything with as much sheet metal as a pickup truck.

Tire shine- None. Hate the stuff. Don't like the look of shiny tires for one, absolutely hate the way dirt sticks to the crud for another. Then again, I don't like the look of raised white letters either. Much, much, prefer the uber clean fresh rubber look of using Bleche-Wite on straight black sidewalls. Especially on a truck, which if it is mine, sees a LOT of dirt, none of that gross, shiny, sticky tire dressing crap for dirt to mix with and make spooge - which ends up in the wheel wells as well as on the tires. The clean, fresh natural rubber look is where it's at, for me. Bleche-Wite and a stiff scrub brush. To each his own, but I despise tire dressing...

Metal polish- None. For wheels, I use Poor Boys wheel wax twice a year and just keep them clean with soap and water. Never any need to polish. The Poor Boys wheel wax works great on powder coated stuff too, like the rocker sliders and bumpers on my Jeep.

Glass- Whatever is on sale. They all work, some maybe a little better than others, but I've never seen a real big difference between the cheapest and the most expensive.

Carpet cleaner- None. If the carpet is bad enough to need cleaned, I pull it out and power wash it.

Leather- Couple drops of Zaino car wash in a spray bottle of water, with a soft cotton cloth. I never use any dressing on interior leather, again, I just personally hate the shiny look and feel. Prefer straight clean unadulterated leather.

Leather/Plastic dash- Couple drops of Zaino car wash in a spray bottle of water, with a soft cotton cloth. Again, no dressing on that stuff for me.

Interior plastic/leather trim- Couple drops of Zaino car wash in a spray bottle of water, with a soft cotton cloth.

Clear exterior plastics- I just apply the same wax or sealer to them as the sheet metal.

Exterior black plastic trim- Nothing. If it's faded, I might rub a little straight ATF into the plastic with my finger tips - that seems to last longer than any commercial product I've tried, but usually, just leave it alone.

Rubbing compound- Whatever seems most appropriate for the task at hand. Deep scratches on the sides of my Jeep I might use Meuiars Diamond Cut on a rotary buffer. Just prepping good clean paint for sealant, I might use a mild finishing glaze or polish on a gray pad on the 7424XP.

Clay bar- None, usually. Zaino for the times I do. Usually figure it's just as easy and more thorough to machine polish as to clay bar though.

Head light restoration- 3M probably best of breed. I've just about given up on all of them though.

Air freshener- Ozium spray. Febreze the crap out of carpet and headliner if it really stinks.

- DAA
Old 09-16-2013, 01:23 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:365
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

I always thought that the best product for anything is the product that you will actually use. The best product is the one that you are satisfied with the results given the time and effort you had to use to get those results. My personal favorites may be different than yours but they satisfy me(to be honest I really don't care what you think of my choices, I'm not trying to satisfy you).
I use Wolfgang 3.0 sealant--I use Collinite 845 Wax--I use Opti Spray Car Wax- I use Zanio detailer--and I use Aerospace 303. I have had good success with these products however if I run across a better product or a good product is recommended by someone I trust, I'll probably give it a try. Autopia and autogeek are your friends. They have done all the reasearch for you, all you have to do is spend the time reading about the different products and listening to people like Luke and Primo in this section---they will not steer you wrong.
Jay

Last edited by Pull Ya; 09-16-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:51 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Favorites

Wash - Optimum Car Wash, leaves the finish looking great, smells great, suds well with great lubricity. I do like Chemical Guys Citrus Wash for stripping the paint and using in a spray bottle as a citrus presoak, but it is usually not my first choice as a maintenance wash [even at the proper dilution].

Wax - Generally I will reach for Collinite 476 Doublecoat or 845 Insulator wax. They are staples in my arsenal with their ease of use, durability, and looks. There are a ton of beauty waxes on the market that would work very well too, but they are a little more costly for a little less durability and it's not suited to my demographic. I would throw in a vote for Optimum Spray Wax too, easy, slick, not as durable. I treat it more like a detail spray on steroids, but it is a wax.

Coating? - I would throw in coatings as they are slowly replacing waxes. There are a ton on the market and I would suggest doing a lot of research before buying/applying one. I have and use OptiCoat and for quicker applications, Detailers Paint Coating.

Tire shine - Water based dressings, Meguiars Hyperdressing is my go to [you can get it in smaller bottles from ADS and other retailers]. However, I have used Optimum Optibond with great results. It is more of a gel, but can be diluted and sprayed.

Metal polish - Depending on the application, I have had good success with P21S Polishing Soap and Collinite Metal Wax #850.

Glass - I still use Stoners Invisible Glass with rain repellent on exterior glass, it was the first cleaner I used and have stuck with it. SprayWay can be found at many hardware stores and works well too, but economically I have loved Meguiars Glass Cleaner. Works very well on abused windows with stains and is very cheap when broken down into cost per gallon [even a weekend warrior can benefit from the 11 gallons when diluted, as it works great on every glass and mirror in the house].

Carpet cleaner - Folex as well, definitely convenient with no rinsing needed. Works great on headliners and seats as well.

Leather - Adams leather cleaner works very well, although in terms of value a properly diluted all purpose cleaner works just as well for cheaper, but I like to keep a small bottle of Adam's cleaner handy because I know it's at a proper strength.

Leather/Plastic dash - Meguiar's Quik Interior Cleaner and Meguiar's #40 Rubber and Vinyl cleaner. Aerospace 303 works great too.

Interior plastic/leather trim - Same as previous post

Clear exterior plastics - Meguiar's #40, Overall, Optimum Power Clean is my favorite APC.

Exterior black plastic trim - Clean with the aforementioned products, dress with Black Wow, Collinite 845, or a sealant.

Rubbing compound - If this is referring to polishes, I would say try anything your heart desires and use it as directed. I like Meguiars M105/M205, M101, D300 and a few others.

Clay bar - Speedy Surface Prep Towels, safe clay alternative, much much quicker than traditional clay.

Head light restoration - Same polishes as paint, but make sure the lenses are sealed with a UV resistant coating or cleancoat.

Some detailing Must haves for myself are:

Optimum Power Clean for wheels and tires, interior cloth and leather, any plastics and painted surfaces like the undercarriage, wheel wells, engine bay, etc.

Optimum No Rinse or No Rinse Wash and Wax. Both work perfect for rinseless washes, but also as glass cleaners, plastic and vinyl cleaners, water softeners, and quick detailers.

Tuff Shine Tire Brush, if you ever make a detailing purchase from one of the major retailers, get this brush. Cheap and works wonderful.