DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 ram 1500 quad slt 4x2 b/h
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:40
Yankee is on a distinguished road
Default Gas !!! Caution!!!

aww this is funny....from page 561 of the big book...(dunno where the lil thang that came with the thang is...buried under something in the shop)..."Many areas of the country require the use of cleaner burning gasolines....containing oxygenates....the manufacturer supports the use of reformulated gasolines...some fuel suppliers blend unleaded gasolines with oxygenates such as 10% ethanol, MTBE, and ETBE. Fuels blended with these oxygenates may be used in your vehicle"......

THEN...in big ugly box labeled CAUTION!....we have"DO NOT USE GASOLINE CONTAINING METHANOL OR ETHANOL. USE OF THESE BLENDS MAY RESULT IN STARTING AND DRIVEABILITY PROBLEMS AND MAY DAMAGE CRITICAL SYSTEM COMPONENTS."

well...while its possible to find gas without ethanol, those stations are few and far between, and cost more....on the other hand, its clear that whomever WRITES these things doesnt step back and read em...unless theyre simply providing themselves a legal out to void a fuel problem with your warranty...I have NO CLUE what country the geniuses live in that wrote that stuff....what to do??? ignore it....helluva way to run a car co eh??
Sponsored links
Old 09-11-2013, 10:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I read that there are BIG companies that really want to get rid of the Ethanol

boat owners, small engine owners, motorcycle owners are all having major issues & it is all because of the ethanol

it eats gaskets & rubber seals if left in a stored vehicle more then a month & the gas itself also goes bad

Ethanol is a solvent

In addition to absorbing water, ethanol also is a solvent. It can soften the interior of rubber hoses, and pieces come loose. Pickup tubes in the fuel tank can become brittle and either break off or flake, again sending along particles that can clog the fuel system. Some boats have fiberglass fuel tanks and the ethanol can dissolve the fiberglass resin that holds the material together.

"After a period of time the resins will be dissolved and sucked through the fuel system, leaving nothing but the fiberglass cloth in the fuel tank," Murphy said. He discovered an extreme example in one customer's boat, reaching inside the tank and removing enough fiberglass material to fill four small bags.

my brother told me to start putting Sea Foam in my Harley gas tank on a regular basis, it somehow slows the bad effects down
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 09-11-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:34 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Ahhh just throw a good ethanol treatment/additive in your tank once and a while and you'll be right as rain. And, ethanol or E10, has been used since the Energy Policy Act of 2005, which is written by the EPA to ensure that gas sold in the U.S. contained the minimum amount of renewable fuel(10% Ethanol). But what's really going to boggle your mind is that Ethanol has been used in engines since 1826! Many 3rd Gen Hemi's are still running strong even with that corn crap in the fuel. That warning is in every manufacturers owners manual to cover their butts.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:420
skytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really nice

I told obamma that ethanol and MTBE and ETBE was no good for engines, but he wouldn't listen.
Now we will probably have to home brew our own gasoline that is ethanol, MTBE and ETBE free so we don't void our Ram warranty.

Here is the recipe formulation with directions:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Own-Gasoline

Last edited by skytop; 09-12-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:420
skytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really nice

[QUOTE=

THEN...in big ugly box labeled CAUTION!....we have"DO NOT USE GASOLINE CONTAINING METHANOL OR ETHANOL. USE OF THESE BLENDS MAY RESULT IN STARTING AND DRIVEABILITY PROBLEMS AND MAY DAMAGE CRITICAL SYSTEM COMPONENTS."

QUOTE]

Yankee:
I believe the Ram manual is directing users NOT to use E85 ethanol and not prohibiting use of standard distributed U.S. gasoline fuel with up to 10% of ethanol additive (oxygenator) blended into gasoline. E85 ethanol is used in engines modified to accept higher concentrations of ethanol. Such FFV are designed to run on any mixture of gasoline or ethanol with up to 85% ethanol by volume. Our Ram trucks are not 'Flex Fuel" vehicles.

Here is a description of E85:
"Composed of 85% ethanol plus 15% gasoline, E85 is the concentration recognized by the US Department of Energy as an alternative fuel. Fuel concentrations with 20% ethanol or less are basically considered as oxygenating fuels. What is of greater concern is the sad truth that E85 has lower energy value than gasoline, which means motorists would need more of this biofuel than gasoline to cover the same miles. This is especially alarming when the price of E85 is considerably high compared with gasoline and that refueling stations are miles apart."
Old 09-12-2013, 08:27 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Actually the owner's manual says, "Do not use gasolines containing Methanol or E-85 Ethanol."

E-85 is 85% ethanol (and 15% gasoline). Not only is this bad for your engine and fuel system, it is also bad for your wallet. Although E-85 is cheaper than regular gasoline, you get MUCH lower fuel economy, so overall it's a very bad deal, even in a flex fuel vehicle.

Of course, the government now wants to increase the ethanol content of normal gasoline from 10% to 15%. This is apparently because they mandated a certain level of ethanol use in fuels (in absolute number of gallons, not as a percent of total fuel usage). Since fuel economy has been increasing, less fuel is used, which means they will not meet their self-imposed ethanol usage level. So, rather than reduce the overall ethanol quota (one might ask, why does government need to mandate how much ethanol we use, anyway?!?), they will simply mandate that we use more of it, over the objections of manufacturers who say this will damage engines, etc. Once again, our wonderful government is there to "help" us, whether we like it or not!!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:16 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Rep:21
count2 is on a distinguished road

The V-6, which Yankee has, is flex fuel. My build sheet says XKN Flex Fuel Vehicle
Old 09-12-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
Actually the owner's manual says, "Do not use gasolines containing Methanol or E-85 Ethanol."

E-85 is 85% ethanol (and 15% gasoline). Not only is this bad for your engine and fuel system, it is also bad for your wallet. Although E-85 is cheaper than regular gasoline, you get MUCH lower fuel economy, so overall it's a very bad deal, even in a flex fuel vehicle.

Of course, the government now wants to increase the ethanol content of normal gasoline from 10% to 15%. This is apparently because they mandated a certain level of ethanol use in fuels (in absolute number of gallons, not as a percent of total fuel usage). Since fuel economy has been increasing, less fuel is used, which means they will not meet their self-imposed ethanol usage level. So, rather than reduce the overall ethanol quota (one might ask, why does government need to mandate how much ethanol we use, anyway?!?), they will simply mandate that we use more of it, over the objections of manufacturers who say this will damage engines, etc. Once again, our wonderful government is there to "help" us, whether we like it or not!!
not to pick a fight over nonsense...that box says EXACTLY what I posted...mebbe thats what they meant...who knows....and I have a so-called FLEX FUEL vehicle, didnt ask for it, but there it was, and the "cost", whatever it is, is buried in the base price....as for gaskets and such, i got a TON of small engines around here...including a 4 stroke boat motor that cost more than the boat...they ALL run on ethanol free stuff..must have 20+ gal of it laced with STABIL in cans in the shed.......and they run better...including the genny, which i only fire up once a month or so on general principles...(power failures are NORMAL around here)..but Ill be damned if Ill pay THAT for regular just to put in a truck....

fwiw, I agree with you re govt interference in virutally every part of our lives...which is ANOTHER reason i chose to live out here,...yer preaching to the choir...

Last edited by Yankee; 09-12-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by count2 View Post
The V-6, which Yankee has, is flex fuel. My build sheet says XKN Flex Fuel Vehicle
yep thats the code for it...so i ssume you're similarly afflicted???
Old 09-12-2013, 10:18 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Rep:21
count2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
yep thats the code for it...so i ssume you're similarly afflicted???
Yeah - I haven't read through that stuff in detail, I just figured whatever I put in it would work. I knew flex fuel meant I could use E85 but that mileage would be horrible and I'd never want to. Funny the things that are boasted as "benefits" sometimes.