DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-12-2013, 11:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:108
gwilburn will become famous soon enoughgwilburn will become famous soon enough

I blew up a fuel injected engine (2 stroke) in a snowmobile a few years back due to a lean condition created by ethanol. Two things you can do:

1. Use 91+ octane. Very little if any ethanol in that
2. Use an additive called Startron in the fuel. I'm a true believer in that stuff.
Sponsored links
Old 09-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Blue
Rep:10
bertburch is on a distinguished road

I have a 2010 1500 with 4.7L flex engine. I have tried E85 on multiple attempts and tracked my fuel millage closely. I consistently got a 20% reduction in MPG and a large power decrease.

I attempted to pull my trailer (3,000lb) through Arkansas mountains with it, and where regular gas struggled but only shifted out of OD, using E85 would shift the truck down into 3rd and made the attempts very difficult. It also seemed to take 2 complete refills in the truck of regular gas to get the stuff flushed out. Flex fuel cost me more to operate than regular gas and if I had to tow something would cost as much as 50% more than my cost using 89 octane gas.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:26 PM

Vehicle: 2014 ram 1500 quad slt 4x2 b/h
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:40
Yankee is on a distinguished road

The stuff sucks, in more ways than one....Ill NEVER use it, under ANY conditions. and btw, using 91 octane you say?? ya think?? why sure...$$ no object...and fwiw...if you read FURTHER into that fuel section of the REAL manual, you'll find even MORE disclaimers about putting ANY additives into anything...Id be more concerned about additives in my brew heheheh
Old 09-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:420
skytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertburch View Post
I have a 2010 1500 with 4.7L flex engine. I have tried E85 on multiple attempts and tracked my fuel millage closely. I consistently got a 20% reduction in MPG and a large power decrease.

I attempted to pull my trailer (3,000lb) through Arkansas mountains with it, and where regular gas struggled but only shifted out of OD, using E85 would shift the truck down into 3rd and made the attempts very difficult. It also seemed to take 2 complete refills in the truck of regular gas to get the stuff flushed out. Flex fuel cost me more to operate than regular gas and if I had to tow something would cost as much as 50% more than my cost using 89 octane gas.

Since ethanol has a third less energy content than gasoline, you actually did pretty good with only a 20% loss of fuel economy.

I have paid dearly for the damage done to outboard engines from using gasoline with ethanol. It attacks hoses, jells and clocks fuel injection oragices, and is hydrophillac so it holds water, condensation and rusts engine parts. Nice. Thank you Pres. Obumbles and your EPA police.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:26 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Trim Level: Crew Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:26
deathwarden5 is on a distinguished road

Our Shell Premium (V-Power) uses 0% ethanol. That is the primary reason I only use Shell Premium.

On the flip side, I make lots of money because of ethanol. Ethanol is wreaking havoc on the injectors on our 5.0L engines (Jag/Land Rover). If I do both banks, I get paid just under 6 hours. And it takes me a bit over 2 now.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwarden5 View Post
Our Shell Premium (V-Power) uses 0% ethanol. That is the primary reason I only use Shell Premium.

On the flip side, I make lots of money because of ethanol. Ethanol is wreaking havoc on the injectors on our 5.0L engines (Jag/Land Rover). If I do both banks, I get paid just under 6 hours. And it takes me a bit over 2 now.
nice job....rip off "somebody" for 4 hours, which allows you to buy premium for a vehicle that doesnt need it and cant use it....if i had a job like that, id never have retired heheheheh
Old 09-15-2013, 03:13 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Trim Level: Crew Sport
Color: Black
Rep:26
deathwarden5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
nice job....rip off "somebody" for 4 hours, which allows you to buy premium for a vehicle that doesnt need it and cant use it....if i had a job like that, id never have retired heheheheh
The way I see it, it costs me no more than 7 or 8 bucks a fill to fill with premium. And every vehicle I've owned before my Ram, all required premium, so 7 or 8 bucks is no difference to me.

Being in the industry, I've seen the effects of lower grade fuel and ethanol blended fuel. A few extra bucks is worth the peace of mind.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 dodge ram trx4
Trim Level: Trx4 standard cab
Color: deepwater blue over graphite
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
dodgeman1821 is on a distinguished road

Hi i am one of the people that came up with the alcohol, we had been approached by the feds to try and get the stuff to a higher proof . I put it 100% alcohol in the tank of a olds crest wood wagon with a 455 ,after we got it to burn strait blue NO yellow in the flame. opened the jets up to almost 3.5 turns and ran like a scalded dog, had no issues with gasket or rubber break down in over a year. I can't say how we did it for breach of contract and jail for me . corn liquor has been around for hundreds of years being drank. It is not a solvent .I have a flex fuel 2010 trx4 off road that does get better mileage with gas with 10 % than with e85 . but the alcohol is so low in octane cause of different additives that it is not pure is why it gets bad mileage.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:36 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Aww come on Yankee cut deathwarden a little slack bud. The flatrate manual gives 6 hours to complete the service repair, and deathwarden is that much knowledgable and proficient enough to complete such repairs in a lesser time. If by chance he missed something, then the same vehicle if having to return because of an issue from this service, deathwarden knows the meaning and cost of a "Comeback". You go on with your bad self deathwarden and make that money, so one day you can say, you're retired.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantman View Post
Aww come on Yankee cut deathwarden a little slack bud. The flatrate manual gives 6 hours to complete the service repair, and deathwarden is that much knowledgable and proficient enough to complete such repairs in a lesser time. If by chance he missed something, then the same vehicle if having to return because of an issue from this service, deathwarden knows the meaning and cost of a "Comeback". You go on with your bad self deathwarden and make that money, so one day you can say, you're retired.
I dont care what the manual "says"...fortunately, cyber is anonymous....big sign in front of your fav mechanic..."we can do it in two, but charge you for 6...because we can..."

i wound up with a 1.75 apr, on my lil bit that I financed, instead of a 1.64...when I asked the finance mgr why, he actually said they send us better stuff at the end of the year...looking straight at me as if to say...tough BUB...YOU'RE on that side of the counter......I dont see much difference except one is hidden, the other isnt...oh yeh...HE did it face to face...

I should be grateful for the tip tho, if i ever need such a service, i should hunt around for a mechanic who can do it in two, and do it right....right???