DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-15-2013, 11:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2616
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

as i mentioned in my previous post

the ethanol eats up parts IF the engine is not used every week
you don't use your small engines usually during the winter months, unless you have a snow blower or another winter use machine

A car or truck usually runs sometime during a months time
unless it is storage, like someones vehicle while they are abroad or incarcerated
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Sponsored links
Old 09-16-2013, 12:49 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Trim Level: Crew Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:26
deathwarden5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
I dont care what the manual "says"...fortunately, cyber is anonymous....big sign in front of your fav mechanic..."we can do it in two, but charge you for 6...because we can..."

i wound up with a 1.75 apr, on my lil bit that I financed, instead of a 1.64...when I asked the finance mgr why, he actually said they send us better stuff at the end of the year...looking straight at me as if to say...tough BUB...YOU'RE on that side of the counter......I dont see much difference except one is hidden, the other isnt...oh yeh...HE did it face to face...

I should be grateful for the tip tho, if i ever need such a service, i should hunt around for a mechanic who can do it in two, and do it right....right???
You are really failing at understanding how the automotive industry works.

When I get paid to do a job, like injectors for example. I don't sit there and decide how much to charge. I go onto a program made by the manufacturer. I tell it what kind of vehicle it is. What job I'm doing. Then it gives me a warranty claim op-code and tells me how much they will pay to do that job under warranty.

And the reality is, that for every job that a tech can make really good time at (like injectors), there's 10 other jobs that we lose time on (like wiring harnesses that pay 5.7 hours, but will take two full days to do).

Going to a tech for service is not like going to a farmers market. Prices are not negotiable. I have never understood the mentality that people have the right to negotiate price or time on a job. You're not paying for just my time. Your paying for my knowledge, my schooling, my tools (which are definitely not cheap. My box and tools are more than half the price of my truck), the shop has to pay bills, pay insurance, pay for equipment.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:04 AM

Vehicle: 2014 ram 1500 quad slt 4x2 b/h
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:40
Yankee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwarden5 View Post
You are really failing at understanding how the automotive industry works.

When I get paid to do a job, like injectors for example. I don't sit there and decide how much to charge. I go onto a program made by the manufacturer. I tell it what kind of vehicle it is. What job I'm doing. Then it gives me a warranty claim op-code and tells me how much they will pay to do that job under warranty.

And the reality is, that for every job that a tech can make really good time at (like injectors), there's 10 other jobs that we lose time on (like wiring harnesses that pay 5.7 hours, but will take two full days to do).

Going to a tech for service is not like going to a farmers market. Prices are not negotiable. I have never understood the mentality that people have the right to negotiate price or time on a job. You're not paying for just my time. Your paying for my knowledge, my schooling, my tools (which are definitely not cheap. My box and tools are more than half the price of my truck), the shop has to pay bills, pay insurance, pay for equipment.
no problem....fact is, I do have an idea how that world works...or, unfortunately, fails to...which is why so many people have such a poor appreciation for the entire experience of purchasing a car, or having one repaired....or, in the reverse, when one actually has a reputable, honest, reliable dealer OR mechanic, they are to be treated like gold....in my world, almost everything is negotiable...the world IS one big farmers market...one in which Ive learned to operate quite well.....matter of fact, the more i spend, the more negotiable it is......virtually EVERYTHING, up to and including brain surgery and rocket science, STARTS with the rough equivalent of MSRP....and works downward from there...IF you know enough to talk about it....Americans arent very good at that....
I understand your position completely...