DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Ram 1500 4.7 v8
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Burgandy
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:55
Dodgey will become famous soon enough
Red face 2002 Ram1500 Maintenance Schedule

Hi there. I am a newbie. I have had my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 since brand new in 2002. It has only 36K miles on it since I only drive it for hauling my boat or other heavy things. I am going to ask many stupid questions and if you all could please refrain from calling me stupid as I feel bad enough about my truck as it is.

This is the first 4 wheel drive vehicle I have ever owned and have no idea (other than oil changes,m which I am religious about) what other maintenance is required. Folks just seem to know this inherently as if such knowledge is born with one from the womb. I have no idea what is required and the dealer I was taking it to went out of business. That is a good thing too because one time they returned my truck to me without any oil.

I have not changed the coolant since I bought it. Please do not reply that i have ruined my engine. I already lose sleep over this. How do I change the coolant? I couldn't find a stopcock to drain it. What type of coolant do I use? Where can I find the maintenance schedule? I couldn't find it in the owner's manual. I am pretty sure I need to service the automatic transmission periodically but have no idea what is required. The spark plugs are original as I am afraid they will snap if I try to take them out now.

Where can I look to positively identify my engine type etc? I thought it was a 4.7 Magnum v8. Trim is SLT.
Sponsored links
Old 09-14-2013, 05:25 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

First off, Kris, you are not stupid. You bought a Ram and you found this forum. That's 2 things you've got going for you. Secondly, there are no stupid questions. And nobody is born with this knowledge, however, since my Dad was a Chrysler mechanic before I was even a sparkle in his eye, I'm wondering if he handed me a wrench instead of a bottle. I don't remember learning it, but I know my Dad taught me, so you can learn it too. So, let's look at your list and take them one at a time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgey View Post
Hi there. I am a newbie.Welcome to the forum, Kris! I have had my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 since brand new in 2002. It has only 36K milesvery nice on it since I only drive it for hauling my boat got pics of your boat &/or your truck? or other heavy things. I am going to ask many stupid questions Remember, no such thing as a stupid question and if you all could please refrain from calling me stupid as I feel bad enough about my truck as it is.

This is the first 4 wheel drive vehicle I have ever owned and have no idea (other than oil changes,m which I am religious about) what other maintenance is required. Folks just seem to know this inherently as if such knowledge is born with one from the womb. I have no idea what is required and the dealer I was taking it to went out of business. That is a good thing too because one time they returned my truck to me without any oil.

I have not changed the coolant since I bought it. Please do not reply that i have ruined my engine. Your engine is not ruined, Kris, But you do need to change out the coolant by draining it and then adding a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and water. I already lose sleep over this. How do I change the coolant? Do a google search on line. There are several videos that show you how. If you can't find one, let me know and I will either find one for you or talk you through it.I couldn't find a stopcock to drain it. It should be at the bottom, driver's side corner of your radiator. You should not have to take the fan shroud off. What type of coolant do I use? 50/05 mix of water and antifreeze. Where can I find the maintenance schedule? I couldn't find it in the owner's manual. It should be in the back of your owners manual. If it's not, I have a 2005, which is the same generation as yours, so the maintenance schedule will be the same, give me your email and I will email a PDF copy to you. I am pretty sure I need to service the automatic transmission periodically but have no idea what is required. You're gonna wanna take it to a shop to do this. On your own and without a lift, it's a real pain. The spark plugs are original as I am afraid they will snap if I try to take them out now. Make sure your engine is cool, use a spark plug socket, at you shouldn't have any issues getting them out. Be careful about pulling the coils off, though. Unscrew the 2 screws, then lift straight up.

Where can I look to positively identify my engine type etc? All that information can be found on your EPA sticker, which is a white sticker found on your hood when you lift it up. It will have the year, engine size, part number for your spark plugs and the gap for those plugs. I thought it was a 4.7 Magnum v8. Trim is SLT.
I think I've answered all your questions, Kris. None of them were stupid and we all had to learn how to do all this stuff. If I missed anything, or you have more question, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck, Buddy! Have fun and get dirty!
Old 09-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Ram 1500 4.7 v8
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Burgandy
Rep:55
Dodgey will become famous soon enough

WOW. Roger thank you so much for all the information. Can I use any coolant like Prestone in the yellow bottle or do I need to get Mopar coolant?

What about the four wheel drive system? I guess things like the differential fluid such related to that system are what is really foreign to me. What brand of spark plugs do you recommend?

Last edited by Dodgey; 09-15-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:34 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgey View Post
WOW. Roger thank you so much for all the information. Can I use any coolant like Prestone in the yellow bottle or do I need to get Mopar coolant?

What about the four wheel drive system? I guess things like the differential fluid such related to that system are what is really foreign to me. What brand of spark plugs do you recommend?
You're welcome! This is from my owners manual.

RECOMMENDED FLUIDS, LUBRICANTS AND GENUINE PARTS

Engine

Component Fluids, Lubricants and Genuine Parts
Engine Coolant Mopar Antifreeze/Coolant 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula HOAT (Hybrid Organic
Additive Technology) P/N 5011764AB or equivalent.
3.7/4.7L Engine Oil Use SAE 5W-30, API Certified, meeting material standard MS-6395.
5.7L Engine Oil Use SAE 5W-20, API Certified, meeting material standard MS-6395.
Engine Oil Filter Mopar Engine Oil Filter, P/N 5281090 or equivalent.
Spark Plugs Refer to the Vehicle Emission Control Information label in the engine compartment.
Fuel Selection (all except 5.7L) 87 Octane, (R+M)/2 Method
Fuel Selection (5.7L) 89 Octane, (R+M)/2 Method, Mid-Grade Preferred (87 Octane acceptable)

Chassis

Component Fluids, Lubricants and Genuine Parts.
Automatic Transmission Mopar ATF+4, Automatic Transmission Fluid or or equivalent.
Transfer Case Mopar ATF+4, Automatic Transmission Fluid or equivalent.
Manual Transmission Fluid NV 4500 75W-85 Synthetic, API grade GL4, Mopar P/N 4874459 or equivalent.
Manaul Transmission Fluid (G238). Mopar ATF+4, Automatic Transmission Fluid or equivalent.
Manual Transmission Fluid (G-56) Mopar ATF+4, Automatic Transmission Fluid or equivalent.
Clutch Linkage Multipurpose Grease, NLGI Grade 2 E.P. or equivalent.
1500 Model Front Axle (4X4) GL-5 SAE 75W-90 or equivalent.
1500 Model Rear Axle Mopar Synthetic Gear Lubricant SAE 75W-140 (MS-8985). Limited-Slip
Rear Axles on 1500 Models Require the addition of 118 ml (4 oz.) Mopar
limited slip additive or equivalent.
2500/3500 Model Front and Rear
Axle
Synthetic, GL-5 SAE, 75W-90 or equivalent. Limited-Slip 10.5/11.5 inch
Rear Axles DO NOT REQUIRE a limited slip additive.
Brake Master Cylinder Mopar DOT 3 and SAE J1703 should be used or equivalent. If DOT 3
brake fluid is not available, then DOT 4 is acceptable. Use only recommended
brake fluids.
Power Steering Reservoir Mopar ATF+4, Automatic Transmission Fluid or equivalent.

Look on your emission sticker on your hood. It will have a part number for the spark plug and what gap it should be. I recommend OEM, which were Champion on my truck, and probably will be the same for yours.

Let me know if you have any more questions.