DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-13-2013, 03:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:123
1stRAM2012 will become famous soon enough1stRAM2012 will become famous soon enough

that's the side that had flooded just over the birm is the abandoned town(that's not so abandoned) the part of the video where he say theirs a trailer sunk. The only thing left of that trailer now is the decaying wood. I'll get more pics up of the surrounding area tomorrow. We were going to get pics of the town but when we saw the family with the wagon we didn't know if it was really abandoned and weren't about to start exploring through what may have been peoples property

MODS in profile
Sponsored links
Old 09-13-2013, 03:45 AM

1stRAM2012 will become famous soon enough1stRAM2012 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
LOL funny story

i lived in Niland just south of there, i used to go to Bombay Beach almost every weekend, best bar around for miles was there,' Luck of the Irish'
one of the favorite bars for the Navy Seal Team back in the 1970s

This is Bombay Beach today

the
story of the Sultan Sea is almost erie in itself
at one time it was deep under water, then it dried up & there was so much salt in the area, that they ran railroad tracks into the deepest part & mined the salt.
One day the natural berm surrounding that area was accidentally breached while they were working on the Colorado River & it filled back in, the tracks & rail cars & i believe one engine was buried under water.
The whole area has MUD POTS, boiling mud ponds all around there
at a little town close by, they have Hot Mineral Spas there, people pay to stay there & bath in the heated mud
In a desperate attempt to save the fishing in the Salton Sea, they decided to raise the level of the Sea several feet with fresher water to dilute the salt level, it worked for years, but it didn't last as long as they had hoped
Fully half of the towns & cities around the Salton Sea are either boarded up or abandoned
the Salton Sea is or was 58 miles long & a few miles wide

https://maps.google.com/maps?client=...&ved=0CIIBELYD
what was it like before it flooded. To me and the wife it looked like a town that used to be thriving with opportunities and just went down hill. I read about the salt mining operations and assumed that's what people moved their for originally. I have a very over active imagination and was picturing it in my head of what was there before it was destroyed

MODS in profile
Old 09-13-2013, 05:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

The Luck of the Irish was right at the edge of the Sultan Sea
i remember the beer with with 2 stuffed olives in it, i didn't start drinking it until the olives started sinking to the bottom of the glass & i swallowed them last

It was sort of like a retirement community, mostly trailers on pieces of property
very few stores & bars

i lived in Niland on Rte 111, if you cross the railroad tracks, you are on a old military base, although you would never know it, only the slabs are left, just beyond the slabs you will reach the Little Chocolate Mountains
the Navy has a big bombing range there, when they drop the 500 & 1,000 pounders, the whole town shakes, there are working Gold Mines in those hills, far away from the bombing range. the strangest sites are when the helicopters fly in damaged vehicles & set them on the range for targets

this is also out on what they call the SLABS, very FREE living people now live out there

you will find this a bit strange,

Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 09-13-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:26 AM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

I would say if you wanted to go off the grid, this place sounds like a winner.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Power Wagon ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:87
Trail Whale will become famous soon enough

YIKES!!! Sounds like the Snowcat driver got there just in time!!! Definitely looks like an interesting place but, I don't think I'd be going there alone!
Old 09-13-2013, 10:08 AM

yeah Id say so gantman

and i wont either(from now on) trail whale

MODS in profile
Old 09-13-2013, 03:27 PM

those videos are crazy.def want to go back and explore more

MODS in profile
Old 09-13-2013, 09:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

the History of the land around the Sultan Sea
will be boring to most people

The Highway 86 side of the Sultan Sea is a lot better off then the Highway 111 side of it

south of Bombay Beach, the next real town is Niland, which was or still is a Speed Trap, speed limit going into the town from the North is 65 mph, just as you enter the curve, another sign reads 35 mph & you are in the town, all the better places in the town burned down, there at one time 6 bars in that town, 3 on the highway & 3 more in the part of town called Old Town, when you pass through Old Town, you see the railroad tracks, when you cross them you are on the Slabs & you will pass by a brand new GEO-THERMAL power plant.

Back on the 111 Highway traveling south, you will see a sign that reads RED HILL, the road goes towards the Sea, At one time that was a Commercial Fishing community, they fished tilapia & Corvina & i believe there were Croaker there too.
Now just the Tilapia survive & are abundant.
The next town south is Calipatria, it is 186 feet below sea level & there is a fair produce area there, Tomatoes & Onions are the main crops, a lot of the main part of town is or was boarded up, when i passed through 2 years ago

Then further south is the city/town of BRAWLEY, where the Brawley Cattle Call is held every year, the whole place comes alive
it is hard to believe this town in only about 40 miles south of Bombay Beach

as you start around the lower end of the Sultan Sea, you will enter a town that was at one time the liveliest town near the lake, its name is Westmoreland, it is also a decaying town & the best bar was long ago closed up, heading North on Highway 86 you will pass buildings that were abandoned years ago & then you will come to a wide spot in the road, it is just a Immigration Check Point, it is also where Highway 78 to Julian & Ramona starts on that side of the sea.
Further north on Highway 86 are the towns of Sultan City & Desert Shores, both are more like retirement communities than the fun places that they were once, then there is the town of Mecca, don't blink, even if you took the old road it is small.
Then you come to Coachella & Indio, both are still functioning towns like Brawley
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 09-13-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:47 PM

Vehicle: 2010 4.7l v8 4x4
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:160
Astartes has a spectacular aura aboutAstartes has a spectacular aura about

lmfao @ pic 2. Looks like something i'd do
Greater love has no one than this, that a man lay down his life for his brothers. -John 15:13

My Mods
Old 09-16-2013, 07:58 PM

well if i recall your was the front end in a hole haha.. and with us both being "young dumb Marines" i can only assume we will both dig ourselves into more holes than we care to admit

MODS in profile