DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-05-2013, 03:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
cflbuckeye is on a distinguished road
Default Keyless Remotes falling apart?

Not sure where to ask this, but is anyone else dealing with keyless remotes falling apart? I just bought a 2013 Dodge RAM 1500 Laramie a month ago and it came with two proximity keyless remotes. The one on my ring has already fallen apart (trim piece comes off) and I have been waiting on Dodge to replace it for two weeks (under restriction I am being told). The trim piece fell off somewhere and was lost.

I now have my wife's remote on my ring, since mine is in pieces (without the trime piece, the spring lock that holds the metal key in the remote eventually pops out) and I noticed the trim on this remote is starting to work itself open. There doesn't seem to be any snaps to keep the trim in place at the bottom (opposite the key ring) end. So, the trim can literally be pulled off (with almost no prying).

I can't believe I am on the only one expeirencing this. I did a search on the site and can't find a single other complaint.

Here are a couple pics to show what I am talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130905_151422.jpg (108.1 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 20130905_151445.jpg (112.4 KB, 96 views)
Sponsored links
Old 09-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2589
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I can't exactly speak to your particular remote type

do both Remotes still function ?

If they do or don't
go to the website IKEYLESS,
the dealership will likely get you a replacement, possibly even 2 of them under warranty
they may or not have to be Programmed

https://ikeyless.com/

2 people need at least 3 remotes, at ikeyless there are about 20% cheaper then dealership prices

find your Remote on the website
read all the notes about do's & don'ts
pay attention to anything it mentions about programming

the identifying logo does NOT mean much, it can be blank, or have DODGE, RAM, or JEEP imprinted on it

at the dealership, they have 2 prices, mine reads DODGE on 1 of them & RAM on the other 2
the DODGE one is CHEAPER then the RAM logo one & they are identical, except for the Logo. The chips inside are the same

Good Luck

P.S.
do NOT buy one if it has been used, some eBay sites will read anything, but they can't use the word NEW, if it is not
it will mention this on the IKEYLESS website
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 09-05-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Ram CC
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:117
KJ48 will become famous soon enoughKJ48 will become famous soon enough

I am pretty hard on my keys, offroading, boating, dropping etc and no problems after 3 months with the same remote. Its a little scratched/beat up but nothing is falling off.

Dealer did lose one though and had to get me a new one, took 3 weeks (backorder) and they must be programmed at the dealer. I did find a couple sellers on eBay that had them for 100.00+ but for that money I just waited to get it from the dealer.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ48 View Post
I am pretty hard on my keys, offroading, boating, dropping etc and no problems after 3 months with the same remote. Its a little scratched/beat up but nothing is falling off.

Dealer did lose one though and had to get me a new one, took 3 weeks (backorder) and they must be programmed at the dealer. I did find a couple sellers on eBay that had them for 100.00+ but for that money I just waited to get it from the dealer.
Weird, because I am not very hard on my keys, aside from them dangling from a D-clip off my hip all day.

Maybe it is just me, and when my first remote came apart on it's own..I thought it might, but when the second remote started doing the same thing...I began to think otherwise.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
sean2d is on a distinguished road

The day I bought the truck, one of the remotes fell apart...it wouldn't snap back together. The dealership ordered me a new one, and I had it within a week...the replacement remote has been doing fine for 2+ months, now. I've never really used the second remote that was provided when I originally picked up the truck, but maybe I should start using it, to see if it falls apart like the other original remote.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:18 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Ram CC
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:117
KJ48 will become famous soon enoughKJ48 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflbuckeye View Post
Weird, because I am not very hard on my keys, aside from them dangling from a D-clip off my hip all day.

Maybe it is just me, and when my first remote came apart on it's own..I thought it might, but when the second remote started doing the same thing...I began to think otherwise.
They may have had a bad batch of remotes, I tried to pop that cover off where yours came apart and it doesnt want to come off.

I'll keep an eye on it though, they are too expensive to be falling apart..
Old 09-06-2013, 05:52 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Laramie Hemi 8 Speed
Color: Maximum Steel Met.
Rep:25
kxlexus is on a distinguished road

I have had mine since March, no issues
Old 09-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 1500 4X4 8 Spd Air Susp
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black on Black Leather
Megamikey is on a distinguished road

The only problem that I have had with my remote keyless FOB, was taking it diving off Venice Beach, FL a few weeks ago. About 45 minutes into the dive, it occurred to me that I may have forgotten to move the FOB to the dry bag, sure enough it was still in my pocket, and visions of lost $$ signs filled my head. After surfacing with no hope of still having a functional FOB, we opened it up, and surprise, surprise, it was dry as a bone inside. I was still not certain it had survived, but upon approaching the dock, I hit the remote start button, the lights blinked, and the motor started! Kudos to Ram for a pressure and idiot proof device.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:42 PM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

Just picked up mine and I appear to have the same issue...Its not loose but I can pull it off with little effort.... Did your dealer replace both????

I noticed this when I picked up my first truck last may.....Hmmm like everyone is saying....Wonder if there was a bad batch,.....

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 09-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkem View Post
Just picked up mine and I appear to have the same issue...Its not loose but I can pull it off with little effort.... Did your dealer replace both????

I noticed this when I picked up my first truck last may.....Hmmm like everyone is saying....Wonder if there was a bad batch,.....

I have been waiting 4 weeks now on a replacement, but my dealer's service center keeps telling me that Dodge has it on restriction, and we have to wait till they clear it. I am not sure what that means, but I am going to wait another week and then I am going to start getting pissy with them (not a big fan of the dealer I bought it from to begin with, as their sales team is about as crooked as it gets).