DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-06-2013, 08:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Graphite or something?
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
redsuspenders is on a distinguished road
Default Non data using backup camera

We are looking for a back up camera that will go through ipad or iPhone Bluetooth.
Some places where we camp there isn't cell coverage so a camera running through our data plan is no good.
I don't want the rear view mirror monitors, and I don't want to replace the head unit.
Is there a camera out there?
Sponsored links
Old 10-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Crew Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl Coat
Rep:50
MorePwr will become famous soon enough

Not sure even what you are asking here.

You want a backup camera for the truck? You want the camera to do what function?

Why does a camera need a data plan?

Old 10-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie
Trim Level: Longhorn Crew Cab
Color: White/Gold
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:487
Silvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of light

I've got a Garmin Nuvi 5000 with a 5.2" screen that a backup camera can be connected to. I don't need it anymore since buying my new Limited with Navigation.

*** US Army Retired - 11B40 - 1964/'85 ***
Old 10-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

The Ram truck radios RHR, RHB, & RBZ are setup to take the OEM Parkview Camera
the camera mounts into the tailgate handle
the camera kit comes with the handle, camera, wiring, zip ties, & a installation CD
once it is added, it will have to go to the dealership to get flashed into the Rams Computer

the 2 radios that are called RES, do have a touch screen & do not work with a back up camera, that is when the rear view mirror monitor is needed
__________________________________________________ ____________

Peak makes a wireless camera that runs on 2.4mg
it can be freaky if you pull up to a convenience store
you may find yourself picking up the stores security cameras

read more about wireless back up cameras
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/200...camera-system/

http://www.ebay.com/gds/EVERYTHING-Y...0708736/g.html
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-07-2013, 02:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Graphite or something?
Rep:10
redsuspenders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePwr View Post
Not sure even what you are asking here.

You want a backup camera for the truck? You want the camera to do what function?

Why does a camera need a data plan?

I want a parking assist camera.

I don't want a new head unit or rear view mirror display.
I want to view the shot on either ipad or iPhone.

I have seen cameras capable of this, but they all mention "wifi".

If we don't have cellular service, this won't work.

I want a camera that will pair to the phones Bluetooth.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Crew Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl Coat
Rep:50
MorePwr will become famous soon enough

Now it makes sense... you want a camera, to use with Bluetooth as a backup camera.

I don't have an answer for unfortunately.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1990
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

I'm not sure what's out there as far as a bluetooth connecting camera goes. But have you thought about using a camera with an external display rather than a rear view mirror display? You can get ones with little 4" screens (almost like a GPS screen) that you could mount anywhere you want. If it's wireless it should even be able to be stored in your glovebox and you only have to take it out when needed. That might be an option for you.

But here's my 2 cents.... if you're not going to put a monitor in that automatically switches to the camera when you put it in reverse then what's the point of having the camera? By the time you get your phone or monitor out it would be faster/easier for someone to hop out of the truck and guide you back.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover | 5000K Morimoto HID's (lows and fogs)
H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake | Instagram: @brandonjansen
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 10-08-2013, 04:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:69
kerton will become famous soon enough

I'm with BrandonJansen: I think you're going about this wrong. If you go forward, you will be mucking around with phones and wireless interference for years instead of just viewing clean video. But maybe you have your reasons, So...

Wi-Fi does NOT require a cellular connection at all. Your iPad may be able to connect directly to the wifi camera (using something called wifi ad hoc mode). Also, your phone can act as a wifi access point (like when in tether mode) and connect a client camera. This would require an app to serve as the host. The app would probably come with a camera.

Alternatively, you could look for a 2.4GHz camera, and a 2.4GHz receiver/adapter that plugs into the port on your iPad.

By the way, forget Bluetooth. It has shorter range than wifi, and less bandwidth to send video. Your quality would be lower. I have a bluetooth-to-phone camera, but it is a Countour HD helmet camera which can use my phone as a viewfinder over Bluetooth. GoPro also does this...but uses Wifi, I believe. That's better. It's not meant to be permanently mounted on a vehicle.

For my RAM with uConnect, I bought a LockPick that hacked my OEM system, allows me to enter nav destinations while moving, to watch DVDs from the front while moving (useful for starting disks if you have young kids) and adds inputs for three video sources. I put a $30 camera on my front grille, my tailgate latch, and added a 2.4GHz receiver also in my tailgate latch. The 2.4 receiver gets video from my travel trailer rear cam. I can select ANY of the 3feeds at any time. The tailgate cam comes on automatically with reverse. Total cost: $350 in parts, and $200 installer fee. Awesome. I get all this video and backup with a minimum of buttons to push...unlike a phone solution.

Otherwise, I think the answer to your question: "Is there a camera out there?" is no. Not running off 12v, designed to be mounted into a vehicle. And most of the wireless adapters I see for iOS devices are built to move video OUT of the device into a TV. Sorry.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:69
kerton will become famous soon enough

Well, I was at the SEMA automotive show in Vegas last month, and saw a product launched that might suit your needs.

I still stand by my post above. I don't recommend an iPad/Smartphone + Bluetooth solution. Limited quality, temporary nature of hookup, and the need to manually launch apps and put the phone in a mount.

But here you are:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...onds/index.htm