DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-15-2013, 08:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 dodge ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: bighorn edition
Color: mineral grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
ramcaddy is on a distinguished road
Default new system

Hey guys this is my first sound upgrade to my 10 bighorn. I have the res with uconnect which I intend to keep? I ordered all of the stuff today except for the wiring kit. Any thoughts on a good one. This is also my first self install. any tips, tricks, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here is what I ordered. Let me know what you think. Thanks for your help in advance

Foxbox 2 10
2 alpine swr-10 d2 subs
Alpine mrx-m110 amp and rux knob
Power acoustic pcx-3f capacitor
Audio control lc2i

Highs to come later. Any advice for that would be appreciated as well
Sponsored links
Old 09-15-2013, 09:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

just a note of interest:

the RES radio with the PHONE Receiver hard key
uses the same external Uconnect module as the RBZ & RHB radios
in case you ever decide to upgrade

the RES without the hard key uses a different external uconnect module

The RER & RHR radios don't need a external uconnect module, they are self contained
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 09-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:525
Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light

you don't need a capacitor.. haha
plasti-dipped hood stripe, rims, mirrors,handles, emblems,
Green Interior LEDs
Old 09-16-2013, 02:34 PM

Vehicle: 2011 2500
Trim Level: big horn
Color: grey
Rep:31
autokraftgt is on a distinguished road

How are you planning to wire subs?
Return the capacitor... I run four amps and do not need one and would never buy one anyways... They're 99% useless
Old 09-16-2013, 02:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:525
Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by autokraftgt View Post
How are you planning to wire subs?
Return the capacitor... I run four amps and do not need one and would never buy one anyways... They're 99% useless
They're actually a pretty solid 99.9% useless. Just a fun fact for you..
plasti-dipped hood stripe, rims, mirrors,handles, emblems,
Green Interior LEDs
Old 09-16-2013, 10:56 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4X4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:27
StoneyWV is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebestestdrummer View Post
They're actually a pretty solid 99.9% useless. Just a fun fact for you..
Concur, actually worse for alternator than not having one.
2010 QC ST, 5.7L, 4.10 Gear Swap, 5100 Leveling Shocks at 1.7", K&N Drop-in, Pioneer U310BT, 12" Dayton/Net Audio Sub, JL Components, ARC Audio Amps, Magnaflow 14 inch, Granite Alloys sporting 34" BFG T/A KO, HID conversion full blackout.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 dodge ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: bighorn edition
Color: mineral grey
Rep:10
ramcaddy is on a distinguished road

I am going to wire the two voice coils on each speaker in series, making each speaker a "4 ohm" then wire the two speakers in parallel bringing the total load to 2 ohm. I think I said that right. Haha it makes sense in my head.
I also think I may have ordered the line converter for no reason. I was looking at the details on the amp on alpines site and it looks like it may be built into amp already. I guess I'll find out when I hook everything up.
As for the capacitor I never knew that they could be bad for the alternator. Explain please. I know a few people that have them and swear by them. I got the capacitor pretty cheap so even if its a very slight improvement I'll use it. I May change my mind if someone can tell me how it can cause damage to my vehicle though.
Thanks
Old 09-17-2013, 10:28 AM

Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
Rep:73
xsdbs will become famous soon enough

The TAU rate of a cap is where issues can come into play. A cap will charge and discharge rapidly causing transient spikes to the alternator. What does this do? It causes the alternator charging circuitry to spike high and low quickly, the alternator may not be able to keep up with these spikes. It will also cause most alternators to have excessive heat due to added resistance. These items we usually lead to decreased life of the alternator.
What's the best bet then? Well in the systems that I used to build, I would incorporate a high output alternator and also an extra battery close to the amp rack. The battery is actually an extremely large cap and provides more consistent filtered power without the spikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcaddy View Post
I am going to wire the two voice coils on each speaker in series, making each speaker a "4 ohm" then wire the two speakers in parallel bringing the total load to 2 ohm. I think I said that right. Haha it makes sense in my head.
I also think I may have ordered the line converter for no reason. I was looking at the details on the amp on alpines site and it looks like it may be built into amp already. I guess I'll find out when I hook everything up.
As for the capacitor I never knew that they could be bad for the alternator. Explain please. I know a few people that have them and swear by them. I got the capacitor pretty cheap so even if its a very slight improvement I'll use it. I May change my mind if someone can tell me how it can cause damage to my vehicle though.
Thanks
Old 09-17-2013, 11:16 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 / 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Outdoorsman Crew Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:1043
gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsdbs View Post
The TAU rate of a cap is where issues can come into play. A cap will charge and discharge rapidly causing transient spikes to the alternator. What does this do? It causes the alternator charging circuitry to spike high and low quickly, the alternator may not be able to keep up with these spikes. It will also cause most alternators to have excessive heat due to added resistance. These items we usually lead to decreased life of the alternator.
What's the best bet then? Well in the systems that I used to build, I would incorporate a high output alternator and also an extra battery close to the amp rack. The battery is actually an extremely large cap and provides more consistent filtered power without the spikes.
Yes, a alternator upgrade to handle the extra power consumption of the amps that was not in the design of your truck.

A battery at the location of the amps to eliminate the spikes from the amps may work if your alternator is not upgraded. Don't use the capacitor.

Run your wiring kit to the extra battery (+) then connect your amps to that extra battery. Make sure you use a sealed battery and a fuse after each battery.

Hope your alternator can keep-up with the power draw.

Greg