DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-12-2013, 10:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 91 dodge ram (sold)
Trim Level: Se
Color: White
Engine: 1989-1993 360ci (5.9L) Cummins diesel I6 160hp 400lb/ft
Rep:10
ejblack0711 is on a distinguished road
Default Hemi advise

I thinking of buying one of the early mega cab 1500s with the hemi I have never had a hemi before so or an automatic tranny so I'm wondering when shopping for one how many Is to many miles how do they hold up how many miles do u have on yours and what problems have you had I'm getting kinda antsy and I'm ready to buy this is the first time in ten years that I have not owned atleast one dodge and its kinda weird so any answers would be a help thanks
Sponsored links
Old 09-12-2013, 11:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Power Wagon
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:256
battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

First, Welcome!

The Hemi is a pretty reliable engine and can easily go 250-300k miles if regularly maintained. The RFE (545rfe in the truck your looking at) is also pretty solid when the motor is left in moderately stock form. They can be troublesome when behind a forced induction motor, but at stock or tuner power levels they do well.

Just make sure the previous owner has maintained the vehicle well and hopefully has some service records.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
warren57 is on a distinguished road

Bought my first hemi recently. Knew it would get terrible gas mileage as compaired to similar size engines/ performance of other manufacturers. Overall it runs good, although acceleration, as compared to the competition, is less than poor. A lot seems to be the trans. It shifts into higher gears fast and after the first three gears, looses a lot. You would think it would get great fuel mileage with the high gears, but doesn't.
I rented a new hemi a few years ago jut to try one out and the fuel mileage on it was also poor at best.
So, if you are looking for fuel mileage and acceleration, might rethink the manufacturer.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Rep:177
richmond has a spectacular aura aboutrichmond has a spectacular aura about

I agree with battlerattle. Mine is a 2005 HEMI shifts just fine, gets about 13 mpg town driving and 17/18 interstate. I had done enough home work to select an 05 with 123,000 miles on it. I think you will be well pleased with the HEMI and it's performance. R...
Old 09-16-2013, 01:01 AM
Stickers add Horsepower

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Rep:2793
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren57 View Post
Bought my first hemi recently. Knew it would get terrible gas mileage as compaired to similar size engines/ performance of other manufacturers. Overall it runs good, although acceleration, as compared to the competition, is less than poor. A lot seems to be the trans. It shifts into higher gears fast and after the first three gears, looses a lot. You would think it would get great fuel mileage with the high gears, but doesn't.
I rented a new hemi a few years ago jut to try one out and the fuel mileage on it was also poor at best.
So, if you are looking for fuel mileage and acceleration, might rethink the manufacturer.
I don't know what your talking about poor fuel mieage for a full size truck.. I have friends with 01 Chev.4.8L(33" BFG a/t, 2 06 chevs-5.3L(stock minus CAI, exhaust), 05 F150-5.4L(stock) all 4x4's ext cab minus ford being crew.. And I get better fuel miliage then them with me having a smaller tank then them all..Even with my 35" Toyo M/t's I am still getting better fuel miliage then the ford and 01 chev and around the same as the 06 chevs. These trucks also all have atleast a 20L bigger tank then mine, some more some less. Tundras and Titans are known for drinking gas very bad too.
And at the end of the day.. Your driving a 5.7L truck around.. If your looking for fuel miliage, you should have got a car or a v6.
Tow mirrors up for the haters
Old 09-16-2013, 02:06 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Hemi Pride View Post
I don't know what your talking about poor fuel mieage for a full size truck.. I have friends with 01 Chev.4.8L(33" BFG a/t, 2 06 chevs-5.3L(stock minus CAI, exhaust), 05 F150-5.4L(stock) all 4x4's ext cab minus ford being crew.. And I get better fuel miliage then them with me having a smaller tank then them all..Even with my 35" Toyo M/t's I am still getting better fuel miliage then the ford and 01 chev and around the same as the 06 chevs. These trucks also all have atleast a 20L bigger tank then mine, some more some less. Tundras and Titans are known for drinking gas very bad too.
And at the end of the day.. Your driving a 5.7L truck around.. If your looking for fuel miliage, you should have got a car or a v6.
Great advice my Canadian friend. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 1500 Quad Cab 8sp
Rep:46
gofish101 is on a distinguished road

Have to agree with Canadian Hemi Pride as well. I think the gas mileage isn't bad considering it's a truck. I drive like an old man so I don't think the acceleration is all that bad... oh wait I am an old man. Have to say again I am so happy I got a Ram.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:40 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren57 View Post
Bought my first hemi recently. Knew it would get terrible gas mileage as compaired to similar size engines/ performance of other manufacturers..
Try the Tundra's MPG, or the Titan's MPG, or the Sierra's MPG, or the Avalache's MPG, or the......

Grub out!
Old 09-16-2013, 10:50 PM
Stickers add Horsepower

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Rep:2793
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
Try the Tundra's MPG, or the Titan's MPG, or the Sierra's MPG, or the Avalache's MPG, or the......
My uncle just recently traded in his gmc canyon RWD for a 2013 GMC z71 and is getting better miliage then he was before.. Even small trucks don't give good MPG.. I've heard the titans are just terrible on gas.. Make the hemi look like a prius or something.
Tow mirrors up for the haters
Old 09-16-2013, 11:39 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Titans are the worst followed by the Tundra than everything else.

Have a Titan or Tundra with a heavy foot? You're screwed!

Grub out!