DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-29-2013, 11:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Coach Borne is on a distinguished road
Default Oil?

I went to Ralph Sellers dealership today in Gonzales La. The service guy told me that i didn't have to change my oil until 6k. I asked him if it was because of synthetic and he said no its conventional and that it didn't pay to used synthetic anymore. My take on it is that they probably don't make enough profit on synthetic. By the way this was on of the Managers in the service department. I currently have 2k on my truck and wanted to change the break in oil. He talked me out of it. Probably just going to do it myself and say screw the dealership. Any thoughts.
Sponsored links
Old 11-30-2013, 04:41 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Just doing it yourself is a great idea. Synthetic is always the better way to go. Synthetic doesn't break down as quick as dino oil. The cost of synthetic has come way down making it a much better choice, IMHO. Make sure you get a quality filter to go along with your new synthetic oil.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 8sp
Trim Level: BigHorn. RamBox
Color: Black
Rep:210
OldJoe has a spectacular aura aboutOldJoe has a spectacular aura aboutOldJoe has a spectacular aura about

The dealer is an absolute last resort for me.I have only had my Ram for a couple of months, had no problems what so ever and have never enjoyed a new truck more. I will change my oil myself every 5000 miles, will use 5-20 synthetic on the first change and stick with it thereafter. I am leaning towards just getting Mopar filters and sticking with them.
Just a note about other people changing your oil. My wife's Camry came with a few free oil changes. The free deal ran out and I changed it the last time and it about took two men and a boy to get the filter canister loosened. The newer Camrys have a canister system with a specified torque which if followed makes it much easier to change it the next time. My point is that they can even screw up something as simple as a routine oil change. If you know how to do it, do it yourself.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:36 PM
God Bless Texas!

RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJoe View Post
The dealer is an absolute last resort for me.I have only had my Ram for a couple of months, had no problems what so ever and have never enjoyed a new truck more. I will change my oil myself every 5000 miles, will use 5-20 synthetic on the first change and stick with it thereafter. I am leaning towards just getting Mopar filters and sticking with them.
Just a note about other people changing your oil. My wife's Camry came with a few free oil changes. The free deal ran out and I changed it the last time and it about took two men and a boy to get the filter canister loosened. The newer Camrys have a canister system with a specified torque which if followed makes it much easier to change it the next time. My point is that they can even screw up something as simple as a routine oil change. If you know how to do it, do it yourself.
Agreed! Do it yourself when possible.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I will be doing it myself the dealer owes me one free oil change for screwing up the delivery of my truck by only giving me one key fob and didn't tell me any different. It wasn't until the next day I had that wait a minute thought. I really don't trust are like this dealership.

AS ALWAYS THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
Old 12-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

RogerRamJet,
is that just a picture of the ram emblem or is that actually on your Truck. It looks awesome
Old 12-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2538
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

RogerRamJet is right and you are making a good choice. The dealership you went to was either misleading you, motivated by profit or both.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:53 PM
God Bless Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Borne View Post
RogerRamJet,
is that just a picture of the ram emblem or is that actually on your Truck. It looks awesome
That's the front emblem on my grille. Thank you, kindly! I have an early 3rd gen, so the Ram emblem is fused to the top of the grille.