DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 crew
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Sagebrush Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
lakinghorn is on a distinguished road
Default who is using synthetic oil?

I just bought a 2012 ram 1500 crew outdoorsman with a hemi. Ive been doing some research and talking to customers who have switched vehicles, not necessarily trucks over to synthetic after the first oil change with varying results.

A good customer of mine just bought there fifth grand cherokee all of which he ran full synthetic in and hadnt had a single issue in any of them, as well as getting 1 to 2 mpg better then anyone else ive talked to that doesnt run synthetic.

From what ive read these are the benefits for me to go to synthetic:
works better at higher elevations (live in the black hills of south dakota)
quicker warm up for short trips ( i have about a five minute drive to work)
better where temp fluctuates alot ( wego from -30 degrees to 115 yearly)

Im pretty sure im going to do it because it sounds like a real benefit to me personally but would like to hear from some of you running it and seeing what you think. Obviuosly if they put it in SRT stuff from the factory theres a reason performance wise.

My other question is what to go with as far as brand. i always ran mobil with my old truck and had great luck. switched to penzoil when i started working at the dealership and had lifters start knocking until i added lucas oil stablilizer. Im thinking ill go back and use Mobil 1 synthetic but if the penzoil synthetic is working good it would be easier.

Just curious what your guys experience is and what your using since this synthetic thing is all new to me. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored links
Old 07-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: PX8 Black
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

On my first oil change, I switched to Synthetic.
I noticed the difference in the way in drove....Im sure it wasn't just me, because it was noticeable.
It seemed to drive smoother, a little bit more responsive (this may just be me), it didnt struggle like it did on regular oil (hard to explain the last one)

I am now almost due on my 2nd oil change
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 07-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
DClig10 is on a distinguished road

Guys does it matter when you switch to the synthetic? I just bought an 09 Ram with 40k on it and wanted to make the switch, but am unsure if would harm anything since it has run on regular for so long....
Old 07-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Bully's Performance

fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DClig10 View Post
Guys does it matter when you switch to the synthetic? I just bought an 09 Ram with 40k on it and wanted to make the switch, but am unsure if would harm anything since it has run on regular for so long....
Im not a mechanic but I do not think it matters.
I would get a flush first before putting synthetic in....that is what I would do
Old 07-17-2012, 10:41 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3272
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Since the factory oil is a full grade III synthetic, everyone can say they have been using it. Mobil 1 is what comes in the HEMI engines from the factory, and it's the prefered oil, even states that on the SRT8 oil caps. I'm a fan of the Grade IV synthetics like Mobil 1, Amsoil, Royal Purple. Amsoil is the better of the gIV's, however it can be a real pain to get a hold of on short notice as it's almost entierly through their online store or you know a local private supplier. RP is overpriced, but it's what I use since I can pick it up by the case from my local speed shop, and M1 can be had from most parts stores.

Use synthetic from your first oil change, you won't hurt a thing with the tight tollerance of these engines and they have already been factory run for break in.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

On my first oil change, I switched to Synthetic also, mobil1 full synthetic. Had the same stuff in my 2001 Grand Cherokee, never had an issue in 12 years of driving it.

will change my oil every in around 6000k but picked up an oil test kit to have it Analyzed then will see how long I stretch the next one.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Bully's Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
Since the factory oil is a full grade III synthetic, everyone can say they have been using it. Mobil 1 is what comes in the HEMI engines from the factory, and it's the prefered oil, even states that on the SRT8 oil caps. I'm a fan of the Grade IV synthetics like Mobil 1, Amsoil, Royal Purple. Amsoil is the better of the gIV's, however it can be a real pain to get a hold of on short notice as it's almost entierly through their online store or you know a local private supplier. RP is overpriced, but it's what I use since I can pick it up by the case from my local speed shop, and M1 can be had from most parts stores.

Use synthetic from your first oil change, you won't hurt a thing with the tight tollerance of these engines and they have already been factory run for break in.
Thanks for the info!
But what synthetic oil would you recommend that is easy to obtain/over the counter type oil?
Castrol? Mobile one as you indicated above?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Bully's Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
On my first oil change, I switched to Synthetic also, mobil1 full synthetic. Had the same stuff in my 2001 Grand Cherokee, never had an issue in 12 years of driving it.

will change my oil every in around 6000k but picked up an oil test kit to have it Analyzed then will see how long I stretch the next one.
Oil Test kit?
Where did you grab this from and what brand is it so that I can look it up?

What grade is recommended in our trucks again?
10W20 for the Hemi with MDS?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: '12 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:420
gotbrains230 is just really nicegotbrains230 is just really nicegotbrains230 is just really nicegotbrains230 is just really nicegotbrains230 is just really nice

I had my 1st oil change yesterday and I got mobile1 full synthetic. Yes its much more expensive but it makes me feel better...and I think it drove smoother too
Old 07-17-2012, 11:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 crew
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Sagebrush Pearlcoat
lakinghorn is on a distinguished road

does anyone have any evidence to show in increase in gas mileage that im hearing from alot of people?

It would make sense, better lubrication, less friction, more effiecient would make the gas burn better two and get more in the engine. im really not seeing any reason from anyone not to go to it.