DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-17-2013, 06:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Dodg Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:148
JWM59 will become famous soon enoughJWM59 will become famous soon enough

I have a case# with uconnect concerning radio crackle. And my rep called me about two weeks ago telling me that the release date was going to be on the 16th. My rep tells me that the new release is directed at fixing my reception problem. Contacted my dealer yesterday and they haven't heard anything as of yet. My messaging was working fine until the last update so my hopes are this will fix that also. My son picked up a used 2012 FX4 yesterday with the sync system. Works flawlessly, must admit I am a little jealous about that. The Uconnect seems to be I little more user friendly just wish they could get the bugs out.
Sponsored links
Old 09-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Join the Dark Ram Side!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1534
DarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster5601 View Post
I wonder why Android wasn't the choice to run our radios. At least my VR would work.
I have been wondering that since day one. Why would they go with a company (RIM) that is circling the drain?
Magnaflow 14" Custom Install Bilstein 5100s Front Only Set at 2.8" Vararam Air Grabber Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna Dee Zee Tailgate Assist Billet Technology "The Punisher" Shift Knob Debadged doors and tailgate Plasti Dipped HEMI Badge The Punisher Grille and Tailgate Badges Exterior Chrome Delete 20" XD Series 795 Hoss LT305/55R20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Cabin Air Filter BAKFlip Roll-X Tonneau Cover
Old 09-17-2013, 02:14 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn 4x4
Color: White
Rep:70
edge35 will become famous soon enough

Customer care finally responded to my email about the timeframe for the apps that we were promised:

"The best resource for your question is uConnect Care at 1-855-600-1669."

That was it. I will likely not bother since I'm betting I'd probably just end up sitting on the phone awhile to basically be told that they don't know.
6 speed (although the 65RFE is really a 5 speed), 3.55, air suspension, anti-spin, 20" Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires (aka crap), sunroof, Bakflip Fibermax & BakBox, bed extender, 8.4AN, black/cattle tan interior
Old 09-17-2013, 02:40 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Ram CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:117
KJ48 will become famous soon enoughKJ48 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWM59 View Post
I have a case# with uconnect concerning radio crackle. And my rep called me about two weeks ago telling me that the release date was going to be on the 16th. My rep tells me that the new release is directed at fixing my reception problem. Contacted my dealer yesterday and they haven't heard anything as of yet. My messaging was working fine until the last update so my hopes are this will fix that also. My son picked up a used 2012 FX4 yesterday with the sync system. Works flawlessly, must admit I am a little jealous about that. The Uconnect seems to be I little more user friendly just wish they could get the bugs out.
Nothing to be jealous about, the 2012 Ram I had was perfect as far as the radio goes. The 2013 FX4 with the newest My Ford Touch I traded in a while back was horrible though. Like Ram, Ford switched to a larger display with more integration in 2013 and it flat out sucks, one of the main reasons I hated to drive to Ford and got rid of it.

Yes the '13+ Ram has some issues but go pick up a new Ford with the MFT and you will appreciate the uconnect pretty quick.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:10 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Cherry Red
Rep:465
Monster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRam View Post
I have been wondering that since day one. Why would they go with a company (RIM) that is circling the drain?
Found this in today's Automotive News (subscription required), looks like Garmin did the navigation and Harmon the rest.
Cheap apps lead nav makers to seek vehicle OEM deals - Stung by the popularity of cheap smartphone navigation apps, aftermarket suppliers of personal navigation devices are starting to market navigation systems directly to automakers. The biggest player in the aftermarket sector, Garmin International Inc., has developed systems for Chrysler, Suzuki, Volkswagen and Mercedes-Benz. TomTom NV, another major player, has rolled out navigation systems for Renault, Toyota and Mazda. Declining sales of personal navigation devices prompted the two companies to change tactics, but it's not clear whether TomTom and Garmin can expand in a market dominated by companies such as Panasonic, Pioneer and Harman International. Garmin, the world's leading producer of personal navigation devices, has had some success reinventing itself as a supplier of original equipment. Last year Suzuki introduced Garmin's factory-installed head unit featuring a nav screen, radio and Bluetooth connectivity. But Suzuki left the U.S. market a few months later. Garmin also developed navigation software for Chrysler's U-Connect, a system that drew praise for its intuitive controls. And in June, Volkswagen introduced a Garmin portable navigation device for its VW Up hatchback.

(Automotive News, Sept 16)
Old 09-17-2013, 03:50 PM
Join the Dark Ram Side!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:1534
DarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant future

I was at the dealer today and no update available. They didn't know when it was coming since they do not get advanced noticed of normal updates.
Magnaflow 14" Custom Install Bilstein 5100s Front Only Set at 2.8" Vararam Air Grabber Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna Dee Zee Tailgate Assist Billet Technology "The Punisher" Shift Knob Debadged doors and tailgate Plasti Dipped HEMI Badge The Punisher Grille and Tailgate Badges Exterior Chrome Delete 20" XD Series 795 Hoss LT305/55R20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Cabin Air Filter BAKFlip Roll-X Tonneau Cover
Old 09-17-2013, 05:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Not that i understand computers, but i found this about the 8.4 radios

UConnect 8.4 is built atop QNX, a tight and secure version of UNIX developed by RIM (the Blackberry™ telephone maker). Chrysler and RIM are reportedly working together for full BB10 (BlackBerry OS 10) integration. BB10 is expected to have greater “machine to machine” capabilities than past versions, which should beneft future versions of UConnect

Original is at 2013-2014 UConnect 2: the next generation http://www.allpar.com/corporate/tech...#ixzz2fBKRGBzV
Follow us: @allparcom on Twitter | allparcom on Facebook
this site goes into more detail about the Hardware, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------
this system above is completely different from the Fiat/Microsoft-based “UConnect 5.0,
( some people are switching out their 5.0 RA2 radios with single din & double din aftermarket radios, Crutchfield's website has the Metra bezels & the wiring interfaces that are needed )
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 09-17-2013, 07:47 PM

Trim Level: Outdoorsmen
Color: Maximum Steel
Rep:60
bradburyesqu will become famous soon enough

Disclaimer: I apologize to my fellow IT geeks in the thread, I'm going to over simplify a few things.

I'm not an OS wars kind of guy each OS has it's place.

Windows is a bloated OS with a huge footprint on all computer resources. As a result it also tracks and controls all changes to the OS. This means it excels at making changes and adding and removing software quickly and easily without effecting other applications on the box.

the Nix world (Linus, UNIX, AIX etc) is a much smaller footprint and has featured designed around stability. So what you get is an OS that can run forever without issue, but it's much more complicated to make changes or add new software. If you don't do so in a controlled fashion you risk crashing something that is already running.

Apple is really good at looking pretty and over charging you, but at it's hart it's just another "nix" release.

In all of these products the kernal (think of it as the core of the OS) is stable and strong. It's everything else that causes the issues.

For most appliances I really do prefer a Unix or Linux based environment. The smaller footprint and improved stability helps a lot. You also only allow a select few apps to be installed on the appliance so you mask the OS's biggest issue.

I suspect that OS upgrades bricking radios has less to do with the software and more to do with the hardware not having a mechanism to be flashed easily. If I'm not mistaken in this it wouldn't matter who made the OS, if an upgrade went wrong you wouldn't be able to recover.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Silver
Rep:10
RamFreak13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradburyesqu View Post
Disclaimer: I apologize to my fellow IT geeks in the thread, I'm going to over simplify a few things.

Windows is a bloated OS with a huge footprint on all computer resources. As a result it also tracks and controls all changes to the OS. This means it excels at making changes and adding and removing software quickly and easily without effecting other applications on the box.

the Nix world (Linus, UNIX, AIX etc) is a much smaller footprint and has featured designed around stability. So what you get is an OS that can run forever without issue, but it's much more complicated to make changes or add new software. If you don't do so in a controlled fashion you risk crashing something that is already running.

Apple is really good at looking pretty and over charging you, but at it's hart it's just another "nix" release.

In all of these products the kernal (think of it as the core of the OS) is stable and strong. It's everything else that causes the issues.

For most appliances I really do prefer a Unix or Linux based environment. The smaller footprint and improved stability helps a lot. You also only allow a select few apps to be installed on the appliance so you mask the OS's biggest issue.

I suspect that OS upgrades bricking radios has less to do with the software and more to do with the hardware not having a mechanism to be flashed easily. If I'm not mistaken in this it wouldn't matter who made the OS, if an upgrade went wrong you wouldn't be able to recover.

I like the way you put things, I always tried to explain to people that the more an OS can do, the less stable it becomes. I.E. MS.
They do all have their place in our world and all have their strengths and weakness as well.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:35 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM CC 4X4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Blue
Rep:10
Tom-G is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradburyesqu View Post

Well said. Thank you!

(from a former AIX performance & tuning guy)