DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-13-2013, 10:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:20
Big Red 1 is on a distinguished road
Default OEM Air Deflector

As I was driving the other evening, I noticed an extraordanary amount of bugs hitting the windshield. I have always had a bug deflector on my prior trucks and am now considering one for my 2013 Ram. I would most likely get the OEM Chrome #82213793 if I do this. A few questions to all who have one on their truck. 1. Do you have to remove the rubber seal between the hood and grille? 2. Is there enough clearance between the hood and grille without causing damage to either when closed? (On my last truck, I had to adjust the striker / bumpers to allow for proper latching) 3. Are there any adverse effects (Side mirror flutter, wind noise, flapping of the side windshield mouldings) that any have experienced? The reason I ask, Is because I had most of these effects on my last truck (Avalanche). As always, thanks to all who respond.
Sponsored links
Old 09-13-2013, 03:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST w/SXT pkg
Color: Black Gold Metalic
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:10
dparise is on a distinguished road

I installed the Mopar bug deflector you are asking about roughly 2 months ago.

You need to trim off about one inch off the ends of the rubber seal (as per Mopar instructions)
There is no damage to the hood, or grill, I have found that I need to "slam" it a little harder when closing, nothing major but just a little more. Dropping it from 8" up works every time. It just becomes a problem if you are someone that gently closes the hood and then pushes on it to latch it.

I haven't noticed any adverse affects that you are talking about.

I was very happy with it because it uses plastic screw clips that go in existing holes, no drilling, no breaking the paint, no rust issues.

I would recommend it.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:46 PM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparise View Post
I installed the Mopar bug deflector you are asking about roughly 2 months ago.

You need to trim off about one inch off the ends of the rubber seal (as per Mopar instructions)
There is no damage to the hood, or grill, I have found that I need to "slam" it a little harder when closing, nothing major but just a little more. Dropping it from 8" up works every time. It just becomes a problem if you are someone that gently closes the hood and then pushes on it to latch it.

I haven't noticed any adverse affects that you are talking about.

I was very happy with it because it uses plastic screw clips that go in existing holes, no drilling, no breaking the paint, no rust issues.

I would recommend it.
Totally agree....I recommend getting one......

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 09-13-2013, 10:55 PM

Thanks to you both for the replys. I will order one, along with the mud guards. I think Mopar Parts Online has the best prices that I have seen but have to see what the shipping charges are. When I installed the OEM deflector on my previous truck (Avalanche) I had to raise the hood stops and the striker because the hood would not latch without dropping it down hard. I will probably do the same on the Ram so I do not have to drop the hood down hard. It's critical not to push on the front to close it due to the aluminum construction. I have an Allante with a aluminum hood and trunk; the previous owner must have pushed down on the hood to close it and it has a few shallow dents along the edge. I get kind of nutty when it comes to my vehicles LOL.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:01 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:29
Omac is on a distinguished road

I just installed the smoke deflector. It was easy and took about 15 minutes. You do have to remove the rubber strip and cut an 1 .5 inches off each end before installing it on top of the deflector mounting tabs. Make sure you install the clear tape on the top part of the grill like the instructions say. that prevents any noise and rubbing. My hood shut the same as before I installed it.
Mopar Hood Deflector, Mopar Mud Flaps Front/Rear, Fire/Ice Mud Flap LEDs, Tonno Bed Cover, Mopar Bed Mat, Mopar Tailgate Liner,Window Tint, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liner Front/Rear, Mopar Chrome Gas Door
Old 09-14-2013, 11:10 AM

Does the clear tape go across the top of the grille end to end, or just a piece under each mounting tab of the deflector? Did you have to use soapy water and a squeege or just apply the tape dry? Also, when the hood is closed, is it a tight fit between the deflector and grille? Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:36 AM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:29
Omac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 1 View Post
Does the clear tape go across the top of the grille end to end, or just a piece under each mounting tab of the deflector? Did you have to use soapy water and a squeege or just apply the tape dry? Also, when the hood is closed, is it a tight fit between the deflector and grille? Thanks in advance for the info.
The tape goes along the entire grill top in the curved part not on the very top with the rough surface. I didnt use any soap and water. The fit is tight with the rubber seal as it should be. But not where it affects the closing of the hood.
Mopar Hood Deflector, Mopar Mud Flaps Front/Rear, Fire/Ice Mud Flap LEDs, Tonno Bed Cover, Mopar Bed Mat, Mopar Tailgate Liner,Window Tint, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liner Front/Rear, Mopar Chrome Gas Door
Old 09-15-2013, 04:46 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram RT
Trim Level: RT
Color: Steel Blue Metallic
Rep:136
ValleyRacer will become famous soon enoughValleyRacer will become famous soon enough
Default Comeon!! Show us some photos!!

All the folks having installed this bug & smoke deflector - post up some photos!!
Old 09-15-2013, 07:27 PM

Vehicle: 2013 ram sport
Trim Level: sport
Color: red
Rep:78
sablefish will become famous soon enough

Yes. Pics please
Old 09-16-2013, 04:21 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Silver
Rep:286
naturecannon is a jewel in the roughnaturecannon is a jewel in the roughnaturecannon is a jewel in the rough

I never understood the bug deflectors. They look good and I want one but how does a 2-4 inch high (or whatever the size) piece of plastic help deflect bugs??

Wouldn't you need a piece of plastic to go from the bottom of bumper to the top of cab for it to to any good

Seriosly though, what is so magical about the few inches of plastic above the hood/grill (bug deflector), I always wondered about this. Few inches higher and they splat the window anyways, few inches lower and they are splatted on the grill