DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Product Reviews

Notices

Product Reviews Have you found a great product, or a really bad one and you just need to tell someone about it! Post up a review for the benefit of all!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-16-2013, 09:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:73
jp7704jp will become famous soon enough
Default Buyer beware... Bully Dog

So I sold my truck and subsequently my bully dog hemi tuner. The guy who bought my tuner from me told me that the tune on the bully dog would not let him run it on his truck. He tried updating it and was told by tech support that he had to pay 250 bucks to have my old vin erased and his placed on it. The problem that I have with this is that I put it back to stock before sending it to him and it was "unmarried". I called BD tech myself and was told that this was their new policy and there was nothing that could be done for me. So if you are gonna buy a bd used from someone know this... unmarried to your truck now means you have to pay $250. It used to be 100 bucks if the dealer accidentally erased a tune from your truck. Now no matter what if it was hooked up to a vehicle and you try and use it on another you will pay the 250 if you want it to work. Married, unmarried, it doesnt matter. BTW there is nothing on the website that I could find that explained this. Also good luck getting an instruction manual for the hemi GT. You have to download the standard GT and figure it out from there. IMO Bully dog has taken a product that was marginal at best and made it unmarketable on the private market and told their loyal customers (bought it within the first month of it coming out) to go you know what themselves. Nothing matters but their bottom line. Hope this was helpful.

Jeremy
Old 09-17-2013, 01:17 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Express 3.6/8 speed auto
Trim Level: Express
Color: WHITE
Rep:902
oldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to behold

To me that is double dipping for profit on their side. I can see where they want to sell their product, that's fine. But you have paid for the tuner and now your done with it for whatever reason and want to sell it. Nope. You can but it'll cost $250 to make it new again. Who pays? You or the buyer? And who double profits...BD. Will BD buy the tuner back at a discounted price that's fair to the consumer, no way. If I was going to buy a BD tuner after reading this I would not anymore.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:35 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Sent an Email to Kevin Brown at BD about this, will see what they respond, But I will agree, you buy something you should be able to use it on any vehicle you own as long as you only have it installed on one vehicle. If this is not the case they will be loosing a ton of business, a happy customer tells another person to buy the product, a disgruntle customer tells 10 people not to buy the product, in my case, 100 people will know not to buy it. But till I get an answer from him direct, I will keep my voice quiet. Will post the response as soon as I get it.

By the way, this is the information I have found in there manual for the Hemi GT +.

Page 43
GT for Hemi Plus
UNINSTALLING - RETURNING TO STOCK
What does this mean?
“Uninstalling the tune” and “returning to stock” are different ways to describe the same thing: writing the original (stock)
information to the engine computer so it uses the settings that it used before you installed your GT. Doing this also sends a
signal to the GT to let it know that it is no longer installed on a vehicle, which will allow you to install the tune at a later time.
The GT will not allow you to install if the tune has already been installed on a vehicle.
When to Return to Stock
You should return to stock in ALL of the following situations:

EVERY TIME you take your vehicle in for any type of service. It is a very common practice for the engine computer to be “flashed” (re
-
programmed) during all types of service, even routine maintenance. If the tune from the GT still installed when the engine computer is
flashed, it can cause problems when you want to use your GT in the future. See page 45 for more information.

If you want to install the GT on a different vehicle. For instance
If you have a second vehicle and want to try the GT on it. The GT can only be used on one vehicle at a time.
If you want to let a friend try the GT.
If you have decided to sell the GT to someone else.

If the battery is having problems and could possibly go dead. Make sure to connect a battery charger while returning to stock to prevent
any complications that can be caused by interrupting the GT while it is returning your vehicle to stock. See page 34 for more information.

This is from there pdf you can download here, I would thing that if you bought the Unit and the Instruction manual stipulates that information and if you presently download that from there website they would need to honor that info since the unit was sold with that information implied.

Here is a link to the PDF for the BD GT Hemi + Tuner

http://www.bullydog.com/documents/40...structions.pdf

Last edited by Asur; 09-17-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:04 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
IMO Bully dog has taken a product that was marginal at best and made it unmarketable on the private market and told their loyal customers (bought it within the first month of it coming out) to go you know what themselves.
That's exactly what they've done!

It's bullshit and this type business scam pisses me off!

Double dipping for sure. It's not how the successful tuner companies like Superchips & Hypertech do things.

You purchase a product like a tuner, it's yours, so you should be able to sell it to a third party upon departing with your vehicle. You pull it out of your vehicle, put it back to stock via wiping the VIN and you should be good to go.

I've yet to touch anything Bully Dog.... and that will stay like that after this.

Buyer, indeed, beware!

Thanks for the heads and points.

Grub out!
Old 09-17-2013, 04:22 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoD
Trim Level: CC, 6'4", 3.92, LSD
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Wow!
This is crazy!
I am waiting for my contact to get back to me...of course he is on vacation till Monday. So I wont know for sure till then.
But I would not put this past them....

All it will take is for them to lose sales to Diablo and they will lift this policy.
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 09-17-2013, 04:24 PM

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: 2 tone black and grey
Rep:10
JB2012ram1500 is on a distinguished road

diablo it is for me then
Old 09-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoD
Trim Level: CC, 6'4", 3.92, LSD
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB2012ram1500 View Post
diablo it is for me then
If an when you need one, let me know
fastNugly@bullysperformance.com

But I will update this thread once I hear back on Monday.
I do not see it being different especially this coming from a tech, but I will see what I can dig up
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 09-18-2013, 12:37 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 SLT Big Horn 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black Gold
Rep:177
Whiplash has a spectacular aura aboutWhiplash has a spectacular aura about

hmmmmm...looks like anyone that bought this thing before any public notification of a policy change should get together and think about a nice class-action if they're refusing to honor their own words
Old 09-18-2013, 02:29 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

I just talked to Bully Dog sales and its true, Bully Dog has implemented this new 250$ policy without telling anyone or at least you have to ask, its not indicated on there website, there downloadable manuals still stipulate that your allowed to move it from one vehicle to another by putting that said vehicle back to stock but this new policy is affective now, and check this one out its for Chrysler vehicles only. Tuners by BD for Ford's, GM etc do not have this policy. Also, seems even if you bought it a year ago and sales had stipulated the same info as in the uses manual that you can move it to another vehicle you wont be able to do it. I will be emailing them this tread so any unhappy customers feel free to voice your thoughts.

Bully Dog will be shooting itself in the foot with this new policy, If you like a product you tell a friend about it, but if you get screwed by someone, 100 people will know about it. Not Cool Bully Dog. Not Cool.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:15 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 SLT Big Horn 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black Gold
Rep:177
Whiplash has a spectacular aura aboutWhiplash has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
Tuners by BD for Ford's, GM etc do not have this policy.

but i'm sure as word gets around a lot of them will be wondering if they're next on the "take it up the ass" list. It's not like BullyD's word is carved in stone, shyt it ain't worth the ink it was printed with

Last edited by Whiplash; 09-18-2013 at 03:17 PM.