DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-15-2015, 02:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998
Trim Level: sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
wes032 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 98' Ram1500 Trans issues

Okay, I have a 98' DodgeRam 1500 with a 5.9L . A few weeks ago we started having issues with it not shifting into 2nd and 3rd without letting off the gas. I knew it was the shift sensor and shift solenoid. I brought it to our tranny guys who replaced the sensor and solenoid tightened the bands. He did tell us at that time that the band for the 2nd gear was as tight as it could go that once it went out we'd be looking at an over haul. He also changed the filter and new fluid (obviously) and changed the speed sensor which all of these parts came in one package.
Everything ran GREATuntil 3 days ago and I noticed when starting out from a stop you'd give it gas and it was like driving a manual transmission and not releasing the clutch (or riding the clutch) for about 2 seconds and then it would drive normally. I pulled over at a store and ran the shift lever through all the gears and then into park and then back into drive and it was fine.
Well today I got into it and ran perfectly fine for about 20 minutes and then I when when i started going from a redlight it did the same thing as before, like i was riding the clutch. From that point I was having to run it wide open to get it going. While I felt it shift through at least 4 gears I had to run it wide open to get it to go 40mph.
I pulled over had someone come get me while I left it at the store. I went back and tried it and it ran perfectly fine all the way home.
I feel it shifting into each year, its shifting smooth but for some reason when it gets hot its just not running right. I put in a code scanner its showing nothing except an emmisions issue which is nothing new and that's it.
My question.. Does it sound like clutch plates a torque converter or some sensor??? Tranny has about 180,000 miles on it. My regular tranny guy is on vacation and truthfully things are pretty tough right now financially. There is no way I can afford an overhaul or even aswap from a junk yard.
If it does sound like a tranny overhaul here's a question. I DO have a 1998 Grand Cheerokee, doing some checking it appears to maybe have the same tranny unless I'm looking incorrectly. Li!e I said the Ram is ALSO a 1998 with a 5.9L the Jeep is a straight 6. From what I'm seeing its possible both are 46RE'S.
ANY suggestions open PLEASE!!
Thanks in advance!
W.Moore
Sponsored links
Old 06-15-2015, 08:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Quad cab express
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Ronherman1 is on a distinguished road

I had a 97 1500, same symptoms and at 102,000 miles I lost 2nd gear a complete overhaul was needed. $1500 later and I had a like new tranny!
Old 06-16-2015, 03:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998
Trim Level: sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
wes032 is on a distinguished road

After driving it this morning it drove fine while cold and then leaving the store it hit. It going into second gear and holding there and week not up shift (even when letting of the fuel) .
Thinking maybe the second band went out as was told in the main symptoms above.
My regular tranny guy told me that most shops wouldn't do it but he'd be willing to replace just that band for a cost of 480.00 .
Just with what you guy know from this post does it sound like that the second band finally gave out? What throws me is that it runs and shifts as smooths as a brand new tranny while it's cool. It's after it runs for 15-20 minutes.
Thanks again guys!