DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram MPG Zone

Notices

Dodge Ram MPG Zone Discuss your MPG woes and helpful hints here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-17-2013, 12:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
dbezzek524 is on a distinguished road
Default How to Improve MPG.

I have a 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 express 5.7L and I average about 13.5 MPG and i would like for that to increase. WHat do you guys recommend I do. I have already removed the muffler and straight piped it. What else can I do, CAI or Throttle Body spacer. Please give me some insight.
Sponsored links
Old 09-17-2013, 01:11 PM
Stickers add Horsepower

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2778
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly I would say put an aftermarket muffler (maggie, flowmaster, borla and such) as your truck will be losing backpressure and I am pretty sure that these trucks need a form of backpressure to get the most out of it. Secondly don't bother your time with a throttle body spacer as that will just be a fancy paper weight. A CAI will really improve your MPG.. It will help very small which might not be that noticeable. Don't have a heavy foot and learn to be feather your throttle as that is one of the best ways to help save fuel. Another option is getting a tuner. Bullydog, superchips and diablo sport all have great tuners ( I don't know what is available for the 2013's yet). I have the diablo sport trinity and run it in miliage mode most of the time and have noticed as increase in fuel efficiency even with my 35" M/T tires. Make sure that your tires are always properly inflated. Having to low of PSI will cause excessive wear on the tires and also form drag on the truck and causing loss in fuel efficiency. I am sure there will be other members who will be able to chime in with some more advice on how to benefit it.

But if your looking for the best way to save fuel, turn the key to off, shut and lock the doors and walk lol.
Tow mirrors up for all the haters
Old 09-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

Most of getting better milage is in your right foot. I can get about 17 mpg, if I drive a steady 55-60 mpg with my non mds 05 however if I drive my friend's 06 with mds I can get over 20 mpg. Almost identical Rams with 3:92 gears. Don't let it warm up, don't idle, turn off if you get stuck in traffic. Even how you go up and down hills, lightly speed up down the hill till your a bit over the speed limit, try to be about 5 mph under the speed limit at the crest. Using the EVIC should slowly train you to use less. The less you use brakes, the better. I've found the crappy GY tires at 38-40 psi will get as much as 1 mpg better milage than better, more aggressive tires. That sucks, but driving like your grannie is no fun either.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf.Line-X Bedliner, 210,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 09-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1969
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Some good information from both the guys above ^^

As hydrex said, most of it is in your foot/driving style. That will make the biggest difference.

How many miles do you have on your truck? There is a break in period before you will start to see the proper numbers out of the truck. But I'm assuming you're probably past that period by now.

Another good thing to experiment with is the gas you're using to fill up. What kind are you running? Does it have 10% ethanol? Do you always fill up at the same place or different places? The quality of the fuel will play into it quite a bit as well. Cheaper is not always better.

As Canadian Hemi Pride said, a throttle body spacer is 100% useless on modern fuel injected engines. The only reason to run one would be to have a NOS injector in it and I doubt you're going to be doing that.

Changing out your stock Y-pipe will help with exhaust flow significantly. I'd recommend getting a Magnaflow one and have it installed by your local shop. It's also not a bad idea to be running a muffler because like Canadian Hemi Pride said, these trucks do need a slight amount of back pressure. Plus it will just sound better with at least a bit of a muffler.

As far as a CAI goes you won't notice any huge gains from one. The stock intake is already a true CAI. You'd be better off modding it with a drop in filter, secondary intake tube, and changing the pipe between the air box and the throttle body. You'll get a bit more flow and might notice a few small gains out of that. Running a Vararam intake might be the one exception to this. Some guys have reported 3 mpg highway gains with the Vararam because of it's design.

Then there's the tuner. A tuner will definitely make the biggest difference out of all these mods, especially with a free flowing exhaust and intake. Currently the Bully Dog GT for Hemi Plus is the only tuner available for a 2013 Ram but Diablosport has started testing their software on 2013's. So hopefully that will be coming out soon. I'd recommend waiting for the Diablosport and running a Hemifever custom tune.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 09-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2538
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrex View Post
Most of getting better milage is in your right foot. I can get about 17 mpg, if I drive a steady 55-60 mpg with my non mds 05 however if I drive my friend's 06 with mds I can get over 20 mpg. Almost identical Rams with 3:92 gears. Don't let it warm up, don't idle, turn off if you get stuck in traffic. Even how you go up and down hills, lightly speed up down the hill till your a bit over the speed limit, try to be about 5 mph under the speed limit at the crest. Using the EVIC should slowly train you to use less. The less you use brakes, the better. I've found the crappy GY tires at 38-40 psi will get as much as 1 mpg better milage than better, more aggressive tires. That sucks, but driving like your grannie is no fun either.
I agree with this. IMHO after market add-on's may increase performance, power etc. but will do little to nothing to improve fuel economy. Consider manufacturers are under pressure to increase MPG, so if real gains were to be had from the various add-on's, they would become standard equipment from the factory.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:51 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500 Daytona 4 x 4
Trim Level: Daytona
Color: GoMango Orange
Rep:10
The Ram Man 01 is on a distinguished road

Keep the right foot away from the floor board !!!!!
Old 09-18-2013, 08:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:53
arctic-rodz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
I agree with this. IMHO after market add-on's may increase performance, power etc. but will do little to nothing to improve fuel economy. Consider manufacturers are under pressure to increase MPG, so if real gains were to be had from the various add-on's, they would become standard equipment from the factory.
i doubt it, if that was the case vehicles wouldnt come so choked up from the factory.
easily seen in designes of factory intake and exhaust systems. two quick ways to improve performance and MPG.

To the OP, ive got the Vararam and an 18" magnaflow, only real increase is about 2mpg over all. Not a lot but worth the noticeable extra power, to me.

Im still going to upgrade to a 87mm throttle body and waiting on Diablo's tuner. All that together should increase MPG, since the vehicle from the factory isnt set for max performance. They generally run rich to protect the engine from detonation (from what ive heard from my previous custom tuners) which is just decent at best
Old 09-18-2013, 09:30 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbezzek524 View Post
I have a 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 express 5.7L and I average about 13.5 MPG and i would like for that to increase. WHat do you guys recommend I do. I have already removed the muffler and straight piped it. What else can I do, CAI or Throttle Body spacer. Please give me some insight.
How much are you realistically hoping for that to improve by?

Grub out!
Old 09-18-2013, 11:04 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Dark Cherry
Rep:162
anothernewb has a spectacular aura aboutanothernewb has a spectacular aura about

the only thing I've ever had increase my MPG in any vehicle other than driving habits was a good tune. Even on a stock vehicle, a custom tune for your specific vehicle maximizing the fuel and air ratio across the board can help.

Livin life one truck payment at a time.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:40 AM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Dbezzek, I'd say a Trinity tuner and a drop in filter element over the paper. With foot to throttle control, don't bog it and try not to dog it. Keys to good fuel economy.