DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:420
skytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really nice
Default Interesting development with Cummins

Always good to look over your shoulder now and then....

2015 Nissan Titan to Gain Cummins Diesel V8

And how Nissan grabbed key RAM developer away from Chrysler

Luke Vandezande | Aug 20, 2:44 PM

Photos and full article at AutoguideDOTcom
http://www.**************/auto-news/...diesel-v8.html

As it turns out, Nissan poached more than just an executive from Chrysler’s Ram truck brand when Fred Diaz leaped lilly pads.

Nissan’s next-generation of Titan pickup trucks will include a turbocharged 5.0-liter V8 Cummins diesel powerplant, the company announced today. Official output ratings are still unavailable, but the engine is expected to make over 300 hp and somewhere in the mid-500 lb-ft of torque range.
“We have done out homework on the next-generation Titan,” Diaz said. “Truck owners told us there’s a demand for the performance and torque of a diesel in a capable truck that doesn’t require the jump to a heavy-duty commercial pickup.”
[IMG]http://www.**************/auto-news/wp-content/uploads//2013/08/cummmins-titan-diesel.jpg[/IMG]
Struggling sales and an outdated design with questionable reliability all hold the current model back. With minimal changes since its 2003 introduction, it’s easy to see why Nissan has been struggling in one of North America’s most bitterly contested segments. One-upsmanship between the Detroit 3 make it nearly impossible for less aggressively supported products to thrive.
But Nissan made a wise move by snagging Diaz, who is largely credited with steering the Ram truck brand to its current success.
“This ain’t my first rodeo,” he said at a media event in Southern California. “I know a thing of two about trucks.”
Nissan says the diesel engine is in the “latter stages of development and testing” with a version also coming for commercial vehicle customers.
More than building a competent entrant to the segment, Nissan is aiming to pull buyers away from Ford, Ram and General Motors. Part of that plan meant running extensive focus groups with current truck owners from every major brand.
[IMG]http://www.**************/auto-news/wp-content/uploads//2013/08/cummins-titan-5-liter-diesel.jpg[/IMG]
Earlier this year, Ram made headlines by announcing its plan to offer a V6 diesel version of its 1500 pickup. It’s engine offers 240 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque and will be mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission. That truck will be able to tow up to 9,200 lbs according to the manufacturer, which is on par with Hemi V8-pwered versions.
Nissan is still keeping key details like a release date close to the chest, but one of the biggest remaining questions will be fuel economy. Ram hasn’t held back in advertising the fuel efficiency of its heavily-geared pickups, and Nissan could suffer if it lags in fuel consumption compared to Ram’s eight-speed.
But maybe not. Previous reports suggested that the company might also be working on a smaller four-cylinder diesel. A smaller oil burner could offer a more frugal option to fuel-conscious buyers that don’t need as much braun. Unfortunately, Diaz wouldn’t discuss details.

Last edited by skytop; 09-17-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 09-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Color: Granite Crystal
Rep:87
country-boy will become famous soon enough

Yep, this was a announced last month. I have an '05 Titan, and it hasn't been a bad truck. It hasn't been great either. The rear end is a piece of junk, and this has been well documented. There are other well known issues too.
How they're going to go from a 305 HP engine to this big V-8 Cummins is beyond me. They're going to have to redesign the truck from top to bottom to handle that kind of power. With that level of redesign, there's no way I'd be in line for beta-testing it. It took them at least three years to wring out several issues with the current truck (which is now quite long in the tooth).

I wish them luck. I'll be watching from my own diesel Ram 1500.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

skytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really nice

I have been following the Titan news as I almost bought one back in 2009 but made the mistake of getting a Government Motors bitter lemon.

I have read much about the troublesome rear on Titans. Amazing that such a kep assembly in a heavy duty truck has remained a source of such headache for owners.

The Titan WAS a nice truck but it is now seriously due for a complete, and I mean complete redesign. It is a rolling antique right now but it still has a devoted following. I look forward to see what Nissan comes up with since they have had considerable extra time to sharpen their design pencils and produce a truck that should be competitive. If they don't bring a winner to market, Nissan can just turn off the lights in the factory and go home.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:03 PM

Agree with you completely. Hard to believe, but just a couple of weeks ago some guy walked over to me at a gas station and complimented my truck. He was shocked to hear it's going on 9 years old and over 150k miles.
You're right in that back when I bought it, it was very competitive. Not only power and such, but appearance.
Now.. have you seen the pictures of the new test vehicle in the Rockies?? sure, it has the fancy paint to break up the shape, but take it from a guy that has spent many hours under, in, and around a Titan for the better part of a decade - it didn't look very different at all from today's models.
For their sake, I hope I'm wrong.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I saw that article with the test mule. I easily recognized the "brand new" truck as nothing more than the 10 year old truck. I was puzzled by the article calling it the new truck since it clearly was the old one with a 'new' coat of paint. I figured that it was the new chassis, new engine, new power train (including new rear) all sitting under the old body. Lots of manufacturers love to disguise their test mules that way.

If Nissan does bring out the same tired design with the outmoded interior and dash from 2003, they will make a strategic error that will cost them big. The magazines and blogs will eat them up alive for not delivering the truly new goods.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Country: Here is the most recent article with photos of the 'new' Titan.
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/06...san-titan.html

http://www.franchiseherald.com/artic...ne-choices.htm

Last edited by skytop; 09-17-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:12 PM

Thanks for the links. I took a closer look at it, and I just can't believe that's a real front end. The headlight protrusions are ugly, and must be horrible for drag. It's almost like a reverse Ram style.
Strange that someone said the fat tailpipe seems to indicate a diesel, but it honestly looks like the same size I have on mine. The tailpipe on my dad's 3500 is noticeably larger than mine (as well it should be!).