DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-23-2013, 09:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Well Tomorrow I will call BD tech support

I just tried and they just closed, I got a read receipt from BD, but like the last Emails, he has not answered back.

Will call them tomorrow, there mountain time so will be after 11am eastern. Will see what they have to say. I find it strange than more than a few have gotten the New policy shpeel from them and not this lady says "no such thing". Hope they just decided to change there mind and just forget this whole $250 policy for clearing your tuner so you can use it elsewhere or sell it.

Last edited by Asur; 09-24-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 09-23-2013, 10:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black Baby
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:172
Yotaconvert has a spectacular aura aboutYotaconvert has a spectacular aura about

THE HELL She is the one that charged the 250$ to reset my ****in tuner.

I have a TON of crap from her. SO HELP ME if they rescind the policy im contesting the charge on my credit card.
-Flowmaster 40
-Bullydog Hemi GT
-MB Rims (cuz im cheap lol)
Old 09-24-2013, 11:26 AM

Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Spoke to BD this morning, I explained the policy that was confirmed to me by there sales rep, she was like "hmmm wow" did not know this, only policy she knows about is that" if you did not put your vehicle back to stock and now you need to clear your tuner from that information they will charge you the reset fee"

The new policy that has been apparently installed as per the sales rep at BD sales is "even if you put your Chrysler vehicle back to stock, you cannot move the tuner to another vehicle till you pay 250$ to bully dog to have it cleared" This policy is for Chrysler vehicles and does not affect other makes.

Now she is checking with the upper management and will be calling me back to confirm which policy is in place. Will know soon.

Last edited by Asur; 09-24-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:00 PM

Here is the real information, I just got off the phone with BD, she call the powers that be and check the information that I have given her.

Any Hemi GT + tuner that is installed and linked to some 2011-2012-2013 truck ECU's that when you look at the Bully Dog tuner information in the tuner that gives the ECU info and you see under the VIN# line there is another line that says

"VIN H"

This Tuner is Locked with the ECU, and requires to be Hacked by Bully Dog to get it removed and un-linked to the ECU of your Vehicle. Even if you put the vehicle back to stock the tuner is still linked to that ECU, this has something to do with the encryption of the ECU.

If you want to move it to another Vehicle or sell it, and you have under the VIN# that line that says "VIN H" you will need to pay a hacking fee (not a reset fee) but a hacking fee to hack the tuner clear of the ECU data of the vehicle it was on.

This is only Tuners that have this "VIN H" there, any other Tuner synced to a Vehicle that does not have this "VIN H" or is not a 2012-2013 Chrysler product Does not have this Issue and you can move it to another Chrysler Vehicle or sell it after putting the current vehicle back to stock.

To locate if your tuner is linked to a vehicle and its a "VIN H" unit, go into menu, got to show settings and then scroll down to see the VIN# info. If Under your VIN# there is not another Line that says "VIN H" you are ok to put to stock and move it over to another vehicle or sell it.

If you do Have the "VIN H" your stuck and will need to fight this one

I am lucky, I just checked my unit and I do not have the "VIN H"

Here is a confirmation email from BD about this that just came in.

Hey Al,

This is the response I got when asking about it.

Under the vehicle info on show settings there is a spot for a Vin, and a Vin H. The vin H is the vin number that this tuner has “HACKED”, or unlocked. If there is a Vin in the Vin H on show settings, it needs the $250 transfer fee. If the Vin H is blank, there is no fee required. This mostly applies to the 2012+ Chrysler vehicles. Some 11’s, and not all 12’s, just depends on the ecm.

She is new so she may not be %100 familiar with the policy or heard incorrect info. The above is %100 correct though.

Bully Dog
Major Accounts Manager

Last edited by Asur; 09-24-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Yotaconvert has a spectacular aura aboutYotaconvert has a spectacular aura about

This is total crap too because the hack is just them throwing you a pair of codes to "clear" the vin h. They charged the 250$ and it took them a whole 5 minutes on the phone with me to clear it.

They did this on their own this is not something that a change from Chrysler caused. This is something in THEIR software manipulation that I am willing to be they are TRYING to see if it works to generate money off the secondary market.

The real kick in the azz here is they will charge you 250$ for that....but when we have to call 35 times to get the unit to work they are using all the information you give them to create a bigger data base for their tuning system. IE they are getting all the rolling part numbers and locks that chrysler is doing thorugh us. So we get to do free R and D and get the frustration of their "plug and play" tuner taking hours to install...and then they get to stick it to us again if we wanna use it on another vehicle.

I hadnt though about it but this means if i wanna run this on the wifes car I also cant move it over like was stated in the frakin owners manual.....

What a crock of shit to change the specs and rules mid game AFTER someone has already made the inital purchase.

I almost can deal with paying it ONCE but if I wanna clear it out again that should be free after the first time

I WOULD SUGGEST

Anyone that pays the 250 write down the codes they give you and we can test them out to see if it will clear EVERYONES tuner. This way we can have a set of on hand codes for AO19...because I would bet the numbers are universal to clear the "vin H"
-Flowmaster 40
-Bullydog Hemi GT
Old 09-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

FYI I sent this email. I have contacts for a class action if need be. Changing the policy AFTER the fact is not right and illegal. There should have been an update to the user agreement before AO19 existed. The lock has to be programmed in through Bully Dog its not a chrysler change that all the sudden locked and manipulated BD's software interface. This is something that came with the firmware upgrade and thus is something Bully Dog controls.

I did send this email....

Linda,

I was just informed that I am not going to be able to switch this tuner to my wifes car if I want to. This is totally unacceptable as it is NOT stated in the owners manual ANYWHERE that you cannot simply take the tuner back to stock and move it over. IT IN FACT says that you can swap from one vehicle to another and sell the tuner etc at will as long as the tune is placed back onto the vehicle. There is a clear explanation as to if a tune is left on a vehicle that there will be a fee incurred to take and place the tunes back on the tuner. This one I can understand but the other is a blatant violation of what your company states in the owners manual.

It took me three more times to get the tune to load to my truck and it again has a VIN H so I cannot ever swap it over to my other vehicle. Just what kind of deal is going on here. This was a non-existant issue until AO19 was born. This tells me that your company encrypted VIN H to lock your tuners and force marry them to ONE vehicle only. This to me is a pretty gross violation of what is stated in your companies owners manual.

Id let the powers that be know that there is A LOT of chatter about this policy and the treatment of current customers.

I almost can deal with paying the 250$ the one time I did IF I were able to use this tuner as stated in the manual on BOTH of my vehicles. I feel that owners who have paid the fee should be given a code to clear the VIN H for multiple applications. This is what was SOLD TO US when we bought the product, and it should be WHAT WE GET.

Had I known that after clearing this issue I would have a tuner that is only useable on my truck and not my other vehicle too as stated in your companies manual I would not have paid the 250 and not bought the tuner.

I would sure like an explanation as to how the product specs can change AFTER the purchase. It sure seems pretty lousy to me to stick it to a paying customer.

Chris Dombkowski
719-510-5555

I do hope to get some sort of reply; because if not we may look into contacting a product lawyer that specializes in class action suits for just this kind of situation. I paid for a tuner that I expect to be able to be used as your company stated. I EXPECT some sort of reasonable response to this situation. The fact that we get to the the R and D for the part numbers for your company and deal with the inconveniences we have is annoying enough. But after dealing with these issues to change the PROMISES of what we were able to do with your products are totally unacceptable.

I expect a way to clear the Vin H code to use my tuner on ANY HEMI I own or am in use of. This is what your company sold us....following through would be best I think.
-Flowmaster 40
-Bullydog Hemi GT
Old 09-24-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
Here is the real information, I just got off the phone with BD, she called the powers that be and check the information that I have given her.

Any Hemi GT + tuner that is installed and linked to some 2011-2012-2013 truck ECU's that when you look at the Bully Dog tuner information in the tuner that gives the ECU info and you see under the VIN# line there is another line that says

"VIN H"

This Tuner is Locked with the ECU, and requires to be Hacked by Bully Dog to get it removed and un-linked to the ECU of your Vehicle. Even if you put the vehicle back to stock the tuner is still linked to that ECU, this has something to do with the encryption of the ECU.

If you want to move it to another Vehicle or sell it, and you have under the VIN# that line that says "VIN H" you will need to pay a hacking fee (not a reset fee) but a hacking fee to hack the tuner clear of the ECU data of the vehicle it was on.

This is only Tuners that have this "VIN H" there, any other Tuner synced to a Vehicle that does not have this "VIN H" or is not a 2012-2013 Chrysler product Does not have this Issue and you can move it to another Chrysler Vehicle or sell it after putting the current vehicle back to stock.

To locate if your tuner is linked to a vehicle and its a "VIN H" unit, go into menu, got to show settings and then scroll down to see the VIN# info. If Under your VIN# there is not another Line that says "VIN H" you are ok to put to stock and move it over to another vehicle or sell it.

If you do Have the "VIN H" your stuck and will need to fight this one

I am lucky, I just checked my unit and I do not have the "VIN H"

Here is a confirmation email from BD about this that just came in.

Hey Al,

This is the response I got when asking about it.

Under the vehicle info on show settings there is a spot for a Vin, and a Vin H. The vin H is the vin number that this tuner has “HACKED”, or unlocked. If there is a Vin in the Vin H on show settings, it needs the $250 transfer fee. If the Vin H is blank, there is no fee required. This mostly applies to the 2012+ Chrysler vehicles. Some 11’s, and not all 12’s, just depends on the ecm.

She is new so she may not be %100 familiar with the policy or heard incorrect info. The above is %100 correct though.

Bully Dog
Major Accounts Manager

Also for those who wish to know when this was implemented I got this email from BD a few minutes ago.

"This transfer fee was in place in February 2013."

Bully Dog | Technical Support Manager

Last edited by Asur; 09-24-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:10 PM

Vehicle: 2013
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Rep:116
jerseymike will become famous soon enoughjerseymike will become famous soon enough

Just checked and my tuner has the VIN H. So I guess I have been Bully Dogged. Sign me up for the Class Action suit.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:19 PM

Vehicle: Ram 1500 Sport Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:95
mrpositraction will become famous soon enough

I've wrote demanding they either unlock my unit free of charge or take it back.......see how that goes
Old 09-24-2013, 07:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Today I was told that there is no transfer fee but you have to call in to have the vin H removed...This is direct from Linda Kershaw now......

So I asked here then WHY was I charged this fee just last week....awaiting an answer.
-Flowmaster 40
-Bullydog Hemi GT