DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-19-2013, 10:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 3500
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Maroon
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:42
cdetterer is on a distinguished road

Im sorry guys I guess I really should have just searched for it. I browsed through the mods page and didnt see one so I just posted a new one. Thank you guys for your help. Next time Ill search it and then post if need be.
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2013, 10:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Great reply.

Respect and points.

Grub out!
Old 11-24-2013, 03:33 PM

Vehicle: 1996 Ram 1500
Trim Level: 1500
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:387
MOP4RN4TION is just really niceMOP4RN4TION is just really niceMOP4RN4TION is just really niceMOP4RN4TION is just really nice

OK Im not attempting to continue flogging the poor old horse, but please someone correct me if my logic is misguided in relation to throttle spacers.
Guys go to great lengths to mod their kegger intakes, trimming the intake runners back for better flow and or torque numbers...some as little as 1.5inches, others al the way back in the case of the 5.9, then you pop on a throttle body spacer thatin effect adds 3/4 inch to the over all runner length? It seems to my limited mind that youd be chasing your tail.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:17 AM

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

Not exactly. Runner length is not changed by adding a spacer. The spacer will, in fact, increase common plenum volume. The runners then draw from the common plenum. The whole point of spacers came about to help carbureted engines breather better. An increase in plenum volume will improve runner flow in restrictive intake to a point. Primarily, spacers were good for raising the carburetor. Air is pretty compliant at going around corners, but the sharper the corners, and the more switchbacks, and as velocity increases, the more turbulence you get, and more importantly, in carbureted engines, the more fuel dropout you get as a result of that turbulence. When the gas drops out of suspension, it pools in the intake, which kinda defeats the purpose. Multi-point injection eliminates the "wet" intake, so fuel dropout isn't an issue. You can still improve airflow (one only need look no further than the Hughes/Edelbrock Performer AirGap for MPI to see that) to improve performance. That's a dual plane intake, by the way, with the common plenum divided in two. This shows how much MORE important the free-flowing port runners are than total plenum volume is (relatively speaking), especially in an MPI engine. Trimming runner length will move the power band around. Trimming runners effectively increases plenum volume, which increases the available air each runner can draw from. Adding a spacer for a microscopic increase in plenum volume on an MPI engine is a total waste. All runners are already drawing from a full size single plenum. Concentrating on improved runner flow is huge by comparison. Again, the example of the aftermarket intake dramatically out-performing the stocker, or even a highly modified kegger while employing two smaller plenums cannot be overstated. The dual plane Performer's runners are dramatically more efficient and easily outflow the single plane-fed kegger's runners. Hence, adding a spacer is useless on an MPI. You already have all the volume even a modified kegger can use.

Last edited by Gen1dak; 11-28-2013 at 11:19 AM.