DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-21-2013, 01:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: ST
Color: silver
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:40
rambill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb38002 View Post
Where I live, things that burn 1 quart of oil every 750 miles are called "mosquito foggers".

My 03 burned maybe 1/4 of a quart in 5000 miles, that's with almost 90K miles on it. My 13 has close to 2000 miles, and the stick still shows full.

What type and viscocity of oil are you using?
Ditto on that "mosquito foggers"
Sponsored links
Old 09-22-2013, 09:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: White 2013 QC 4x4 BigHorn
Trim Level: BigHorn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
Irv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbohawk View Post
I had the first oil change done "early" as the dealer kept telling me "change it when the EVIC says", but I changed it "early" anyways...wished I had changed it at 1000 or less like I usually do with new motors. So this first oil changed ending up being at just over 4000 miles, and when I checked the oil (I always check fluids at each fuel stop) noticed 1/2 quart low just prior to the first change. Now, I'm at 8200 and have the exact same 1/2 quart low on the dipstick. Is this normal for this motor? No leaks noted so I guess it's thinking it's a diesel?

I'm spoiled very badly with my Jap trucks (cars and bikes too) never, EVER needing a drop of oil between changes, no matter the interval. My wife's Cadillac burns/leaks a quart of oil every month or every 2 tanks, whichever comes first. It's now being recycled.
I agree with Valley, try different oils and see what happens?

Years ago, I tried Amsoil but my truck did not like it at all!
I consumed a half liter in less than 500 miles. I tried 2 oil changes but my results were the same.

Switched to Mobil and my consumption issues stopped.

Many use it with out issue, which makes it even more confusing, but it proves not all engines like all oils, or oils that others use with no problems.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:14 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Those that think engines shouldn't burn any oil are living in a fantasy world. All engines burn some amount of oil, and it varies due to many things. Just like the quote posted from chrysler earlier in this thread, burning 1 or 2 qts in ~5k miles is not abnormal, and is perfectly acceptable. You burning 1/2 qt in 4k miles isn't bad at all.

I've seen people that use the 15k mile amsoil oil and never check it because they think they only need to check it every 15k miles when they change it. They are confused at when they change the oil and only 2 qts come out and they definitely remember filling it with 5 qts.

All engines burn some amount of oil. Some less, some more, depending mainly on how well the rings seated during break in.

My truck burns about 1/2 qt or less in 5k miles during daily driving. If I go on a long tow(last year towed to AR and also NC) it burned about 1 qt during each of those couple thousand mile trips. There's a lot of factors.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:38 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 4x4 5.7 6spd
Trim Level: Express QC 6'4" bed
Color: Polar White
Rep:44
turbohawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyRacer View Post
What oil are you using? Be specific about the brand and weight.
Sadly I have no idea since I neglected to ask/get that answer from the dealer...gonna see if it's printed on the receipt.

I'm gonna the next oil change myself so that I know type of oil and that the proper quantity was replenished. I've had dealers in the past routinely underfill by up to a quart per oil change. These were all using the pre-calibrated dispensers. They would never learn as I always checked my oil levels before I drove off and ALWAYS had to have them top it off. I've been doing my own oil changes for so long I will have to relearn to not be so trusting since I have 5 oil changes left from the dealer.

I'm also going to have the oil analyzed...wished I had saved some of the original oil...
Old 09-25-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20hemi10 View Post
This is straight from Chrysler.

Oil Consumption- The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles listed above is 0.946 liter (1 qt.) in 3,200 km (2,000 mi) for the 1st 80,467 km (50,000 mi). For vehicles with more then 80,467 km (50,000 mi) the acceptable oil consumption for engines is 0.946 liter (1 qt.) in 1,207 km (750 mi).

Hmm. This reminds me of Ford, they told me that 1 qt per 1000 miles was acceptable oil usage in a NEW engine. Yet another reason brands with "F" in their name don't get my $$$$$.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Those that think engines shouldn't burn any oil are living in a fantasy world. All engines burn some amount of oil, and it varies due to many things. Just like the quote posted from chrysler earlier in this thread, burning 1 or 2 qts in ~5k miles is not abnormal, and is perfectly acceptable. You burning 1/2 qt in 4k miles isn't bad at all.

I've seen people that use the 15k mile amsoil oil and never check it because they think they only need to check it every 15k miles when they change it. They are confused at when they change the oil and only 2 qts come out and they definitely remember filling it with 5 qts.

All engines burn some amount of oil. Some less, some more, depending mainly on how well the rings seated during break in.

My truck burns about 1/2 qt or less in 5k miles during daily driving. If I go on a long tow(last year towed to AR and also NC) it burned about 1 qt during each of those couple thousand mile trips. There's a lot of factors.
My experience with Jap engines over 20+ years is that IF they are burning ANY oil, it's not detectable on the dipstick or sight glass. And I'm talking motorcycles, ATV's, cars, trucks and boat motors! All the Jap made engines I own never need oil added between changes and I always do long duration.

Now if you are talking domestic or even European engines, then I'd agree with you since ALL of these I owned needed a top up between changes, usually under a quart per 3k miles.

I'll live happily with 1 qt every 8000 miles burn on this Ram.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:09 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Everything I've ever had with an engine has always burned oil. From the briggs and straton lawn mower to the chevy s10 to the ram 1500 to the buell. I have never owned an import. Well that's not entirely true we had a chevy aveo(daewoo) and it also burned oil. Also, the bigger the engine the more it'll burn(more pistons/valves leave more room for oil to pass by to the combustion chamber). I've had friend's burn up their engine's in camrys, corrolas, santa fes, etc from never checking the oil. they drive for 10k miles and then call me because it's ticking and when I check the oil it doesn't even register on the dipstick. Just my experiences...

Old 09-25-2013, 05:27 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep:106
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20hemi10 View Post
This is straight from Chrysler.

Oil Consumption- The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles listed above is 0.946 liter (1 qt.) in 3,200 km (2,000 mi) for the 1st 80,467 km (50,000 mi). For vehicles with more then 80,467 km (50,000 mi) the acceptable oil consumption for engines is 0.946 liter (1 qt.) in 1,207 km (750 mi).
That's funny!

If you get 20 MPG, and burned oil at that rate, that would work out to exactly a 150:1 oil ratio. There are 2-strokes running at 100:1 already!
So basically it's OK to burn oil like a 2-stroke

What kind of oil do you run in your truck sir, 5w-20, 5-30?
Uhh... Nope-I run Husqvarna low smoke. Keeps the plugs cleaner and the blue dye makes readin the dipstick easier.

Last edited by Red-Stripe; 09-25-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Everything I've ever had with an engine has always burned oil. From the briggs and straton lawn mower to the chevy s10 to the ram 1500 to the buell. I have never owned an import. Well that's not entirely true we had a chevy aveo(daewoo) and it also burned oil. Also, the bigger the engine the more it'll burn(more pistons/valves leave more room for oil to pass by to the combustion chamber). I've had friend's burn up their engine's in camrys, corrolas, santa fes, etc from never checking the oil. they drive for 10k miles and then call me because it's ticking and when I check the oil it doesn't even register on the dipstick. Just my experiences...
I hear ya Sean...but I'm not THAT lucky, in fact, if there is a problem with a product, I will GET the ONE that is the defect. So...I have been elated since finding Kawasaki motorcycles, Nissan autos, and even Toyota don't come with this "curse" as I've experienced with ALL the domestics I've owned. ALL the domestics and even the Euro brands needed oil top up between changes but NONE of the Jap brands I mentioned (I won't own Honda...that's a long story) ever need anything that I've been spoiled and forgot that there are still motors being built that do require the "two stroke" mixture...lol.

So far, only 9k miles, I'm loving this Ram more than any of the Jap trucks and I PRAY that this is the quality built vehicle that I think it is so far. As for my perceived oil use it dawned on me after starting this thread that I did not confirm the oil level before I drove off the dealership so they could have left me 1/2 qt short from the get-go. But I do know that 1/2 qt went "missing" on the oil in the engine from the factory by the first oil change at approx 4k miles but I won't count that in the official logs since that is the very first time with ALL the vehicles I've owned that I hadn't changed the original oil prior to attaining the first 1000 miles. A little oil loss during break-in isn't unreasonable after all.

To this day my currently owned 1997 Nissan and 2003 Toyota have never needed a drop of oil between changes, and we're talking six figure mileages on these motors now. My 2009 Kawasaki Concour 14 has 50000k miles on it now and it is the same way. I used to use synthetics in the past but the Nissan has never had anything but "regular" dino oil and it has the most miles. I have to say that all my previous models of these same brands were precisely the same in regards to oil use: none perceivable.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:53 PM

burning a qt of oil every few thousand miles is no where near a two stroke mix(which is typically more like 40:1 or somewhere in that realm, not 150:1).