DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-23-2014, 04:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge 2500 6.7l Cummins
Color: Grey
Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 370hp 800lb/ft (6-Speed Automatic)
Rep:10
ChadJustice is on a distinguished road
Default 2014 Dodge 2500 cummins, need some help!

Hi everyone, I've been on this forum for a long time when I had my old dodge. I recently purchased a 2014 dodge 2500 6.7l cummins. I have about 7k put into it total and am itching to start roaling coal in this bad boy. I see there aren't any programmers really for the DPF/DEF deletes yet, I was told to just wait, but there's no telling when it will, if ever, come out!
I searched through a few pages but didn't see anything on the matter, I know I'm not the only one!

I've been told it has been done by a few different people.
My questions, if you guys know, what procedures do I take to start unleashing the power of my truck and start rolling coal. All help is appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck w mirrors.jpg (114.0 KB, 19 views)
Sponsored links
Old 09-23-2014, 04:39 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1990
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

As you've found out for yourself delete capable tuning is very limited for 13+ Cummins. Companies have done it (H&S for example) but can't release it because of issues with the EPA. I just read something this morning that Hardway Performance has figured out how to unlock the ECU for delete tuning. It costs $2000 for that and then you still have to buy a Bully Dog tuner on top. So you're looking at over $3000 for tuning/exhaust. Seeing that you have a 2014 2500 exhaust is a problem as well because of the new coil suspension.

There are emissions present tuners available right now that will give you some more power. Bully Dog, Edge, and TS Styker are all available for a 13+ Cummins. Out of those 3 the Bully Dog is the only one that's a true tuner. The other 2 are just fooling modules altering the signals from sensors before they get to the ECU. Obviously you won't be rolling any coal with the DEF system still on. Even when delete tuning comes out I wouldn't expect to be rolling much. Rolling coal is simply a sign of bad tuning and wasted fuel. No custom tuners will write you a smoke tune nowadays and most are writing very clean tunes to get rid of smoke completely. The EPA has already cracked down in diesel tuning enough. There's no reason to be going out and rolling coal irresponsibly. It just gives the entire diesel community a bad rep.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover | 5000K Morimoto HID's (lows and fogs)
H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake | Instagram: @brandonjansen
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 09-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 ram 2500
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: flame red
Rep:471
Kcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of light

you do realize that you and all the other people out there wanting to "roll coal" are the exact reason why theres no delete tuning available, right?

I just dont understand the desire for rolling coal. It makes all of us diesel owners look bad. I would love to delete my truck but it will be done right with clean tunes and as little smoke as possible.

Please help out your fellow diesel owners and tune your truck properly when the options do come available.

6" BDS lift kit, BMF R.E.P.R, 37" toyo MT, recon cab lights, color matched interior trim, tinted tails, custom headlights, cjc off-road light bar, backrack, afe stage 2 CAI
sponsored by BULLY'S PERFORMANCE
Old 09-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcbigbadram View Post
you do realize that you and all the other people out there wanting to "roll coal" are the exact reason why theres no delete tuning available, right?

I just dont understand the desire for rolling coal. It makes all of us diesel owners look bad. I would love to delete my truck but it will be done right with clean tunes and as little smoke as possible.

Please help out your fellow diesel owners and tune your truck properly when the options do come available.
100%. Spot on Kcbigbadram!

8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover | 5000K Morimoto HID's (lows and fogs)
H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake | Instagram: @brandonjansen
Old 09-23-2014, 05:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 370hp 800lb/ft (6-Speed Automatic)

I have friends with earlier models and they don't abuse the "rolling coal" and I don't plan on it either. I drive a daily route and on a busy street, I do not want to be rolling coal all over this busy street. It's more for when I'm out on back roads and around bonfires with friends. I understand you guys' concerns competely I'm not a kid trying to piss people off. I've seen it done and know of people who've had their ass whipped for doing it to people with their windows down. I'm not looking for that, simply for personal preference. I get a lot of shit from friends with different brand trucks and earlier models that are able to do it, as I would like to be able to when the time is right
Old 09-23-2014, 05:39 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadJustice View Post
I have friends with earlier models and they don't abuse the "rolling coal" and I don't plan on it either. I drive a daily route and on a busy street, I do not want to be rolling coal all over this busy street. It's more for when I'm out on back roads and around bonfires with friends. I understand you guys' concerns competely I'm not a kid trying to piss people off. I've seen it done and know of people who've had their ass whipped for doing it to people with their windows down. I'm not looking for that, simply for personal preference. I get a lot of shit from friends with different brand trucks and earlier models that are able to do it, as I would like to be able to when the time is right

That's a good attitude to have; completely fair and I totally understand. That's how I have my truck setup as well. It runs completely clean and smoke free for the most part but if I want to make it roll coal for some special reason I can. Best of both worlds.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Exactly, I'm the only one of my friends that can't roll coal and it's quite aggravating considering how much I've spent on the truck. Gorgeous truck by the way!
Old 09-23-2014, 06:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Granite Crystal
Rep:64
RayK will become famous soon enough

Don't want to burst your bubble, but I think you needed to buy a 2012 or earlier year.

The Cummins in the 2500 series is the 370 hp with the 68RFE tranny. Not sure how well that will hold up with a big tune.

Maybe Brandon would comment on that.

If you have a warranty still, are you concerned about losing that? Big bucks to fix it without a warranty.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:17 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadJustice View Post
Exactly, I'm the only one of my friends that can't roll coal and it's quite aggravating considering how much I've spent on the truck. Gorgeous truck by the way!
Ya that's a downer for sure.

Thanks bud! I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayK View Post
Don't want to burst your bubble, but I think you needed to buy a 2012 or earlier year.

The Cummins in the 2500 series is the 370 hp with the 68RFE tranny. Not sure how well that will hold up with a big tune.

Maybe Brandon would comment on that.

If you have a warranty still, are you concerned about losing that? Big bucks to fix it without a warranty.
You are correct that right now a 2012 or earlier 6.7 is fully delete capable. But as I mentioned before things are starting to come out for the 13+ 6.7's... It will just take some more time to really get rolling (and verify that it all works properly).

A 13+ 6.7 with the 68rfe is no different than the 07.5-12's with the 68rfe. Tuning wise they all end up in the same place anyway. What will help keep the transmission together is proper tuning (power wise and transmission wise if it becomes available for the 13+) and simply driving it smart. The worst thing you can do for the transmission is lug it along at low RPM and put your foot into the skinny pedal really hard in the overdrive gears (5th and 6th). The torque is what will slip those clutches and once they slip once they're shot. Keeping the RPM up and being smart about how you drive will go a long ways.

Losing warranty can be looked at in a few ways... yes if something big comes up engine wise once it's tuned and deleted it's not going to be covered. But most guys who are modding their trucks like that are aware that they are pushing the limits of certain parts and are prepared to fix them if something happens. The main warranty issues that come up on stock 6.7's has to do with the emissions system; either the EGR or DPF. Now that may be a different story with the 13+ running DEF... but either way the engine itself is pretty bulletproof. For me it made way more sense to get rid of the parts that would potentially give me problems and have my truck running cleaner and more efficiently at the same time. Again, it's a bit of a different story with the 13+. Personally I don't have any issue with the DEF system other than the fact that you can't make the truck sound good. Other than that it is a very efficient system. The EGR however is a different story. Putting exhaust gases back into your intake just doesn't make any sense. As someone once told me, it's like breathing in your own farts. You just don't do that.... It would be interesting to see if companies can figure out how to delete the EGR while leaving the DEF system intact for those who want to go that route.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Granite Crystal
Rep:64
RayK will become famous soon enough

The EGR does gunk up the engine no doubt. I thought it was used to heat up the intake faster to reduce emissions. I know that I bought a blocker plate for my Duramax.

No doubt I could live to regret owning a diesel when it does start throwing codes related to emissions.