DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-28-2014, 02:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT 4x4
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:214
Gecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiJoe View Post
Just my two cents; I am a Master Dodge Tech with an '04 Hemi Ram 1500 2wd reg cab with approx 450 flywheel horsepower. I am baffled to hear that you (brondondolon) have had two transmission failures! In my opinion, this is the best transmission Chrysler has ever built. With all my engine mods (2:02 ported heads, big cam, headers and exhaust, cold air, custom programming, and a 3000 stall convertor), at 97,000 HARD miles (third set of tires with track time in Las Vegas) my trans has never failed. In my opinion one of the biggest limiting factors (for the differentials too) is the shallow pan and soft shifts. I installed the Transgo shift package and a deep pan on mine. Besides the 3000 stall convertor, pan and shift kit, my trans is completely stock with zero failures.

Being a transmission man at the dealers, I have only seen one of these truly fail. This is why Chrysler decided to beef it up a little and put it behind the Cummins. I would look at Sharadon's upgrades and also try PATC's web site (http://www.transmissioncenter.com/45..._and_Parts.htm) if you want to rebuild yours.

As soon as I install my 410 stroker, I'll be looking at Sharadon myself. Whatever you do, I strongly recommend a deep pan like the one I have (yourcovers.com). I hope this helps.
You might be the first person on this forum to think the 545 is the best transmission Chrysler has ever built...
-Full Custom Dual Exhaust by Big Power Racing - Inertia Crazy Jay Plus Cam -Pacesetter LTs - BFI Composite #83 - Inertia Custom Tune - Dual DMH Cutouts - 87mm TB - 180* t-stat-
Sponsored links
Old 03-28-2014, 12:02 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiJoe View Post
Just my two cents; I am a Master Dodge Tech with an '04 Hemi Ram 1500 2wd reg cab with approx 450 flywheel horsepower. I am baffled to hear that you (brondondolon) have had two transmission failures! In my opinion, this is the best transmission Chrysler has ever built. With all my engine mods (2:02 ported heads, big cam, headers and exhaust, cold air, custom programming, and a 3000 stall convertor), at 97,000 HARD miles (third set of tires with track time in Las Vegas) my trans has never failed. In my opinion one of the biggest limiting factors (for the differentials too) is the shallow pan and soft shifts. I installed the Transgo shift package and a deep pan on mine. Besides the 3000 stall convertor, pan and shift kit, my trans is completely stock with zero failures.

Being a transmission man at the dealers, I have only seen one of these truly fail. This is why Chrysler decided to beef it up a little and put it behind the Cummins. I would look at Sharadon's upgrades and also try PATC's web site (http://www.transmissioncenter.com/45..._and_Parts.htm) if you want to rebuild yours.

As soon as I install my 410 stroker, I'll be looking at Sharadon myself. Whatever you do, I strongly recommend a deep pan like the one I have (yourcovers.com). I hope this helps.
BAHAHAHAHA, best one ever I know of 1 trans that has been taken to over 800rwhp and that's on Sharadon's drag truck, every other truck that's been built up to/past 500rwhp has been frying transmissions, even the built ones, until recently. Now, take the NAG1, unless it's running low on fluid they'll handle up to 600rwhp reliably in stock form with the MTCM or tranzformer installed; and the trans can be built up to handle 2000rwhp. You can't say the same thing about the 545rfe.

The 66rfe is not the 545rfe, they're completely different internals and shift schedules; if it could be put behind the 1500s then I would have done it in a heart beat because I've seen what some of those diesels put their transmissions through when it comes to power.

When treated properly it's not a bad transmission, I had no issues with the 545 behind my head and cam + 125shot engine, but it's a different story behind my forged 349 pushing 15psi.

Last edited by CdnoilRAM; 03-28-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:13 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:539
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

x2

Some good reading in these threads

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=141021

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=91960

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=124821

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146929

I killed 2 545RFE's within 2 months under 8psi, (500WHP)
First one stock and the second one "built" but did not have the proper tuning for it yet and lost 4th gear.

Going to replace the burnt OD frictions myself on both transmissions within the next couple weeks.

Now that I have my trans tuning from Mike at L&M Customs,
It will have the line pressure (+50psi over stock) I was missing the first time,
and the frictions wouldn't hold under boost.

Mike is building up 545RFE's using superior 68RFE frictions, machining room for substantially more of them, boosting pump pressure by 40-50 psi by modifying the pump and reworking the valve body, for greater holding power under boosted applications. Then tuning it all ( a KEY Component!) to work in harmony with Josh from http://www.highhorseperformance.com/

Mike's Twin Turbo build here : http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=83155
He learned by trial and error what it takes for a successful 545RFE boost proof build.

Replacement stock frictions (OD and UD) for my stock trans (sent free of charge from Mike) from one of his old cores

and a new set of replacement Alto Red Eagle double sided OD frictions (12) for my L&M transmission, also no charge...

just in case I get lost

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 03-28-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:29 PM

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

HemiJoe is actually the second! I've sprayed a 100 shot, run a pretty hot cam and have 195,000 trouble free miles on mine. I run the Sonnax line booster and may do the Sharadon valve body, this year, as I'm planning to go up to a 125, maybe a 150 shot. Every time I pull the pan, and change filters and replace fluid, it's clean and old fluid still looks mint. By saying this, I'm sure I've jinxed myself.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf.Line-X Bedliner, 210,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 03-29-2014, 10:21 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

The L&M is a great trans. Ran mine for about a year before starting another round of mods and Mike's trans is what'll be backing the stroker.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:38 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:632
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

know guys that have had good success with ATS and there moded 5.9 diesels.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:10 PM

BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Ask azzo540 about the FIVE ATS Transmissions here burned up with his Magnacharger.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=72909

...and the hassle he had trying to get them to honor their warranty.

Apparently ATS's 5 Year warranty is for parts and labor for the first year only,
provided an authorized ATS dealer did the install.

After year one, it's parts only for the remaining 4 years,
and you're on the hook for installing them, unless you live next door to them near Denver Colorado.

azzo540 said it was costing him $500 every time he had to pay someone to remove a dead transmission to send it back to ATS. Royal PITA.

I think it was Jerry (hemidup) that said he or Denny over on NA Dodge cracked open a dead ATS transmission and it was a Bone stock 545RFE except for the pretty purple paint on the exterior lol.

Karateman21 ...also burned up at least two ATS 545RFE's, Magnacharged as well,
Turned it all back to stock and sold off his supercharger/meth kit and LT headers.

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 04-01-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:41 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

To date, the 545rfe from ATS has resulted in being nothing more than a paper weight when you are making any significant amount of power. The Sharadon stage III has held up under straight strip use, but it's the daily driving that generally kills those ones. The L&M trans doesn't come with a warranty, Mike's upfront about that, but he has offered great support to people that have managed to damage the trans. BRH knows this so far and there's another guy on nad that is having shifting issues but that sounds like it's a bad install process or solenoid pack.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:13 AM

Rebuild was a Piece of Cake!

Drained Trans, Removed all the sensors, then the pan
and left the rear section on, since we don't need access the low/reverse sprag

Valve Body out

Pump Out

1st drum assembly out that houses the OD and UD frictions/steels

Cracked the drum open to pull out the frictions and steels

Burned up Over Drive frictions/steels came out first.
These are the ones responsible for throwing incorrect gear ratio codes for 4th and 5th.

Going in for the Under Drive Frictions

Under Drive frictions and steels were flawless, and will be re-installed
No huge surprise that these were okay because my truck never slip while launching it, even with a 3400 stall speed.

Next drum to come out holds the 2c frictions and steels,

But first we swapped the replacement OD frictions/steels Mike sent,
Re-installed my good UD frictions/steels and closed up the first drum.
(to minimize the amount of frictions,steels,bearings and snap rings sitting around loose.)

I sent a quick text to Mike to ask if it was still necessary to go onto the next set,
because the U/D frictions looked so clean, He replied right away, Yes 2C can often be the worst
...he was right.

Pulled the 2C frictions/steels, steels were burned up pretty bad, chunks missing out the frictions

Swapped the ones Mike sent me and re-installed the housing and snap rings

Everything went back in just about as easy as it came out,
Pretty much impossible to do incorrectly because the snap rings wont line up
with the grooves if you got something in the wrong order/position.

Total bench time, not counting a pizza break was probably an hour and a half.
...and most of that was mopping up fluid and cleaning the old RTV off the pan.

Within the next week or two we'll drop the L&M trans out of my truck
and replace the OD frictions in the first drum assembly.

Anyone with basic mechanical skills can do this in no time,
Just don't go a dealership parts counter for rebuild parts, they will rape you!

much better source here: http://www.transmissionsone.com/45rf...s_from_pat.htm

Filters and Fluid ready to go for the next one
just waiting on my header collector flange/reducers so I can pull my shorty headers/cats along with the trans
and make room for the new JBA Catless Long Tube headers

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 04-06-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. If it is as easy as you just made it look I would be more willing to tear up this transmission more often!

On a random note I can't wait to see those JBA longtubes installed.

I am very happy I waited considering the JBA cost a lot less.

Chrome... in moderation.