DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 99 cummins QCLB
Trim Level: SLT
Color: rust/grey rust
Engine: 1999-2000 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual)
Rep:10
NCC74656 is on a distinguished road
Default alignment, what is "in spec"?

i posted in the wrong place the first time.

I went to tires plus to get an alignment today because my truck was driving strange and i just installed an adjustable track bar. while getting the alignment tires plus said they did not know how to center an axle, they have never seen an adjustable track bar before. all they align is the toe settings on most vehicles. they also did not know how to adjust caster but im replacing my control arms in 3 weeks when DoR ships them out anyway so ill deal with that then. I have sense been reading online and i think i understand all the parameters now. also i have been upset that my toyo open country MT's have been wearing so fast but now that i read up on it i think maybe its due to an improper alignment...

The thrust angle should be 0, what should the toe in be in degrees? how do i adjust the caster on this 99 cummins? will i need adjustable control arms to do this? the factory bolts for the truck are more than the difference in cost of buying adjustable control arms over the bushing kind so if i need the factory bolts to adjust caster i will buy the adjustable arms and use grade 8 bolts.

i wish to know what the proper settings are for the alignment so when i go back i will know what i need.

here is my alignment: it took 2 tries

Sponsored links
Old 09-23-2013, 11:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:364
spoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nice

I can't help with numbers but here's what I did... Google search up "Custom Trucks" in your area. Find a shop that does lifts or drops. Most of the time a shop that does lifts and drops has a partner tire/wheel shop to do the alignment after the work is done. They use the same tire shops over and over again because they become experts at aligning custom work.... It's nice to become knowledgeable on alignment specs .. but it's also nice to have a shop that already is.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 99 cummins QCLB
Trim Level: SLT
Color: rust/grey rust
Engine: 1999-2000 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual)
Rep:10
NCC74656 is on a distinguished road

what i want to do here is understand exactly what i need to do and then go back to tires plus and borrow there alignment rack to do the work. i have a lifetime alignment so its free for me to go there. id rather not spend any money on this. (over and above the 4K im putting into suspension that is).