DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-10-2013, 08:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: A Truck
Rep:2559
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Duragloss 481 Wax Eraser vs Griot's Garage Wax Remover: My Experience

So when I waxed my truck for the first time after purchasing it I failed to put some painters tape over the textured plastic trim along the sides of the bed, Resulting in unsightly dried wax on the trim. I finally got around to tackling the removal of the wax. No problem I thought, I have some Griot's Garage Dried-On Wax Remover in my detailing kit. Per the instructions I applied it and used a cloth to wipe it off. No sign of any removal so I repeated the process... nothing. The instructions go on to suggest for tougher stains, use a scrub pad, so I slapped a yellow 3" scrub pad to my 3" random orbital machine. Now, I started to see some slight progress, but very slow and too slow for me. I then recalled Primo Spaghetti responding to a query from another RamZ forum member on this very topic. I did a quick search found he suggested a producr called Duragloss 481 Wax Eraser. I picked up a bottle and wow what a difference. Although it took several applications and the use of my 3" random orbital with a yellow scrub pad to remove all the dried wax from the textured trim, I could see significant progress with each application.
In fairness to both products, the dried wax has been on for 3-months with several applications of Aerospace 303 Protectant on the trim. Perhaps if I tackled the dried wax sooner, the Griot's Garage Dried-On Wax Remover would have worked better and perhaps with the Duragloss 481 Wax Remover, less applications would have been required. In any case I give a big thumbs up to the Duragloss product.
For those who may not have a 3" random orbital machine, a scrub pad should work just fine.

Lesson learned from this experience, apply painters tape to the trim stupid and keep some Duragloss 481 Wax Eraser on hand.

Textured Trim Before Removing the Wax

Textured Trim After Removing the Wax

The Products & Tool I Used

Last edited by Hermes1; 11-10-2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Images
Sponsored links
Old 11-11-2013, 08:56 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:912
primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

nice save hermes!

im glad you liked the duragloss! it is a very underrated product because it is usually quite cheap.

it is one of the greatest over the counter options on the market imo.
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune!
Old 11-11-2013, 09:18 AM

Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by primo spaghetti View Post
nice save hermes!

im glad you liked the duragloss! it is a very underrated product because it is usually quite cheap.

it is one of the greatest over the counter options on the market imo.
Yes I was surprised, I thought it would cost more than it did. Thank you for your informative posts, I would not have know about this product had I not recalled one of your replies.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:58 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Very nice! Duragloss is definitely a great product choice.
A lot of users have been extremely satisfied, especially for the price [and Griots has generally been overpriced in my opinion].
Old 11-12-2013, 08:29 PM

Vehicle: no car
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:3238
PaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond repute

That's awesome, Bruce. Great review, and glad you got that cleaned up. The first time I waxed, I got the dreaded "white chalk" on my bed caps as well. I used a 3M product (the exact name eludes me at the moment) that was a wax remover/cleaner. It took 3-4 applications, but it took the wax off. So, I figured (like you) that I would tape off these areas the next time. Well, the morning of, did all of my prep work, got out my 3M tape, and started from the drivers' front, and taped back to the tail gate. Upon getting there, I looked back to see all of the tape had fallen off and lightly adhered to the fender. I, like you, have applied numerous coats of 303 to the plastic. Discouraged, I wadded up the length of tape, and carefully (and slowly) applied the wax to the areas in question. It only took a few more minutes, but hey, that's one more beer you get to consume during the process!

Last edited by PaulMys; 11-12-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:41 PM

Good to know Paul. Although applying painters tape on trim is the prevailing wisdom, I wondered how well it would here to the bed trim. I am due to do a polish and wax job soon, so I guess I will find out.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:56 PM

Vehicle: no car
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:3238
PaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
Good to know Paul. Although applying painters tape on trim is the prevailing wisdom, I wondered how well it would here to the bed trim. I am due to do a polish and wax job soon, so I guess I will find out.
Yeah, yeah. Rub it in. You get to polish and wax, and it just snowed here today! But yes, I used a pretty high-end tape and pressed it on with vigor, to no avail. The way I see it, if that tape wouldn't stick, environmental contaminants have little or no chance! (Yeah, I wish!)
Old 11-12-2013, 09:14 PM

primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
The way I see it, if that tape wouldn't stick, environmental contaminants have little or no chance! (Yeah, I wish!)
lol....thats funny;
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

Old 11-13-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
Yeah, yeah. Rub it in. You get to polish and wax, and it just snowed here today! But yes, I used a pretty high-end tape and pressed it on with vigor, to no avail. The way I see it, if that tape wouldn't stick, environmental contaminants have little or no chance! (Yeah, I wish!)
Well we do have 12" of sunshine right now sorry had to go there. That is funny Paul, but you maybe on to something, perhaps if one applies the protectant of their choice to the trim just prior to polishing and/or waxing, the product won't adhere well and can easily be wiped away. I may have to give that a test drive.

Last edited by Hermes1; 11-13-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
Well we do have 12" of sunshine right now sorry had to go there. That is funny Paul, but you maybe on to something, perhaps if one applies the protectant of their choice to the trim just prior to polishing and/or waxing, the product won't adhere well and can easily be wiped away. I may have to give that a test drive.
That is a good point hermes;

if you do dress your trim before waxing/polishing, you will reduce the staining.

I would still recommend taping over dressing trim prior to application if your not precise with your wax/polish application.