DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-27-2013, 12:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:221
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

When I look at what they did, the only one that jumps out at me as a total scam is the fuel system and throttle body. They may have actually cleaned it, they make a cleaner you can spray in the throttle body and wipe it out. This probably didn't take very long and cost about $3 worth of materials. The real question is did any of this stuff need to be done? In my opinion, most of it didn't.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:32 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Deep Cherry Pearl/Gold Two-Tone
Rep:37
AzDusty is on a distinguished road

I was recently scammed by a local NISSAN dealer who I now know to have been told to upsell everything even if the vehicle doesnt come with it, it needs to be changed.

I had my Armada in for service on a "Free Oil Change" to get a call from the service dept manager and him explaining that I needed my brake fluid and transmission fluid changed and a new battery installed immediately.

I said whoa wait a minute you said I need brake fluid replaced? Yes Sir came the reply.

I then told him I would be in the dealership in 5 min and he had better have my vehicle parked out front and the paperwork at the receptionist. The arogant SOB said but what about the fluids. I said are you certain that the brake fluid needs changed. Yes sir, I said to him you now have 3 min to be ready for me to take my vehicle.

But what.... I didnt even let him finish as I let into him like a raged bull in front of a red cape. I informed him that him, his dealership and everyone else associated with the dealership would be submitted to the federal government along with state and the BBB for defrauding the consumer. I hung up as I was arriving in the dealership about this time. I enter mader than a wet hen and show up at the receptionists hole to gather my paperwork and sign for my free oil change (why do I sign) only to find out my vehicle paperwork had not been brought up... So I am much more pissed now than the wet hen as I head out to the service supervisors hole in the wall only to find out it is the same yoyo I was on the phone with.... BOING..... He said I will have your paperwork right up sir, at which I responded what about the 5 min I gave you while on the phone. Did you think I was kidding. But sir you might have wanted to have other service done... BOING BOING!!!!! At which point I reached into my glovebox and pulled out the receipt from Brake Master dated 3 months prior that had the fluid swapped out and faced with proof he comes up with this lame arse answer that the technician might have just went by the mileage... We have lift off.... Are you kidding me.. The answer to the OP lies in the last sentence.

RAM 1500 4x4 Laramie Longhorn
Old 09-30-2013, 11:17 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

What a story. Unfortunately, this is true more often than we'd like to believe.

My wife took my truck in to the dealer for an oil change... my 2 wheel drive truck. She called me and said that the front diff oil needs to be changed. I told her to get the keys and drive away. Say thanks but no thanks and drive away.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:01 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram
Color: Black
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Rep:177
richmond has a spectacular aura aboutrichmond has a spectacular aura about
Default Wow, what a post

I've got to throw in the old filter on this one and wonder about "the Law of Diminishing Returns", with regards to benefits of the Extended Warranty.

At what cost basis given their interpretation of the maintenance manual from this or any dealer does one throw in the towel and just use the ASE certified shop (no dealer)?

I use ASE certified shops for the wife's 05 Equinox and HEMI by the manual intervals. They are reasonable and want the business. There's no Chevy dealer around and the only dealership here is Dodge. R...
Old 10-01-2013, 08:56 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I do believe that I would NOT purchase any sort of warranty that specified where I had to have a vehicle serviced and/ or repaired. That is a recipe for disaster waiting to happen.

Even that factory warranty doesn't specify where maintenance is performed, just that it happens at the recommended intervals.

As was pointed out above, manufacturer's intervals are often different than what the dealerships recommended intervals are.

good luck

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 10-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express Quadcab
Trim Level: ST Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Miralcos is on a distinguished road

That extended warranty sounds like *looks around* Obamacare! *runs*
Old 10-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
HammerRammer is on a distinguished road

You can do all that yourself...
Old 10-04-2013, 10:20 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram, Quad Cab
Trim Level: ST with combo packag
Color: white
Rep:136
Dancianne will become famous soon enoughDancianne will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendaze View Post
just got a call from my dodge dealer with the cost of my 30k maintenance, oil change, and state inspection for my 08 Ram 1500 Sport. Total so far is $1275, yes thats right $1275! plus i'll still need a new battery but dont want to pay oem prices.

They said that price includes flushing all fluids except for front diff cuz 'thats not needed at this time', new spark plugs, and new tie rods to pass inspection.

The tie rods are the hardest to believe, the truck is barely at 30k miles plus i've already had the tie rods replaced at 15K under a factory recall. Is it even possible that a truck thats obviously not a daily driver and that is otherwise treated like a queen with no noticeable problems while driving could need its 3rd set of tie rods within 30k???

My questions are ... Does it seem right that a truck thats NEVER been off road with so few miles already need extensive flushing of fluids etc and tie rods??

Btw, my dealer tried to end on a positive note assuring me that my oil change would be half price and I 'only' have a $100 deductible under my extended warrantee for the tie rods this time, so my total is 'only $1275' Hey thanks Buddy! Oh and get that new battery as soon as you can!

Since when did quality reliable truck = money pit? or am i being scammed?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
As with most of the vehicles I've owned over the last 20 years, I tell the dealer exactly what I want done and nothing else is to be performed (usually just an oil, lube and filter change.) After about 30 minutes, a service rep comes out and presents me with a list of "absolute must" services that are needed urgently. The amounts range anywhere from about $800 to $1200 for everything and asks for my signature of approval. At this point, I give a severe butt chewing and send him packing with a promise to never return. If I'm really po'd, I'll track down the dealership's general manager and he get's more of the same. My Ram has less than 8k miles, so I've not had that experience yet, but I'm sure it will come at some point in the future.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:41 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Black1 is on a distinguished road

If any of you get a new car every 100K miles or so like I do, then all this maintenance you are doing only benefits the next owner. At most, just do what manual says and only then a bit less frequently than it says.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 2500 Laramie
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
acasey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendaze View Post
Yes my odo actually reads 29,595 miles. I bought the truck new in 9/08 with only 7 miles on it. I am glad its not a daily driver as it only gets 12.5 mpg.

Seeing that they wouldnt release my truck back to me without full payment, its all done with now. Their main threat is if these scheduled services and maintenances (including 3k oil changes) arent done by an authorized dealer with 500+/- mile of their due dates it'll void the extended warranty 10 yr/ 100k miles i paid extra to have.

So in retrospect this extra warranty has only made me a slave to the Dodge Dealers tyranny
Who was the extended warranty through? Is it a chrysler product or is it administered through an outside vendor? You should have a copy fo the warranty which will outline the specifics. Chrysler told my wife that she had to have her oil services done through the dealer to keep her extended warranty. I checked the languag and they lied to her and wanted to charge her $250.00 for a synthetic oil change.She has a chrysler Crossfire.