DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Buy - Sell - Trade > Dodge Ram Parts and Accessories for Sale - Trade - Want To Buy!

Notices

Dodge Ram Parts and Accessories for Sale - Trade - Want To Buy! Post your Dodge Ram Parts and Accessories for sale in this forum. No Vendor Sales.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 01:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:116
jerseymike will become famous soon enoughjerseymike will become famous soon enough
Default Limited Slip Differential LSD for 2011 and Up

BRAND NEW!! Limited Slip Diff. Genuine Mopar part number 68053299AD. These are now selling for 600 to 800. Im selling mine for $500!! Hurry won't last long at this price. Will ship for free to the lower 48. Will ship anywhere if you pay for shipping.:wow
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2321.jpg (126.1 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2322.jpg (127.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2323.jpg (123.4 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2320.jpg (122.2 KB, 61 views)
Sponsored links
Old 08-31-2013, 09:36 PM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymike View Post
BRAND NEW!! Limited Slip Diff. Genuine Mopar part number 68053299AD. These are now selling for 600 to 800. Im selling mine for $500!! Hurry won't last long at this price. Will ship for free to the lower 48. Will ship anywhere if you pay for shipping.:wow
Nice looking carrier but it looks like an open rear end to me. And I'm not sure but the 2011 on up use ZF helical torsion controlled gears (words to that affect anyway) and those are regular spider gears and with no clucthes, no springs no nothing. I haven't seen a picture of the new rearend but I know what helical gears look like those aren't them...sry guy. If I'm wrong I will stand corrected and appoligize. Just trying to save you some trouble...I hope.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:14 PM

jerseymike will become famous soon enoughjerseymike will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
Nice looking carrier but it looks like an open rear end to me. And I'm not sure but the 2011 on up use ZF helical torsion controlled gears (words to that affect anyway) and those are regular spider gears and with no clucthes, no springs no nothing. I haven't seen a picture of the new rearend but I know what helical gears look like those aren't them...sry guy. If I'm wrong I will stand corrected and appoligize. Just trying to save you some trouble...I hope.
This is the reply I got from Benny from ALLMOPARPARTS:

Hello,

That part number is not available any longer and has been revised. Along with the revised part the case is required to be changed as well.
See notes:
ORDER NEW RING AND PINION KIT 68088179AD
AND DIFF CASE ASSEMBLY 68050784AI IF
STANDARD DIFF CASE OR 68053299AD IF
LIMITED SLIP DIFF CASE

Let me know if you have any questions
-Benny

Guess you stand corrected. Its easy enough just put the part number in google and see what pops up. I have the diff, gears and a 2013 Ram. I have talked to three part sellers and my dealership. They all say the same thing. This is the LSD.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:51 AM

RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
This is the reply I got from Benny from ALLMOPARPARTS:

Hello,

That part number is not available any longer and has been revised. Along with the revised part the case is required to be changed as well.
See notes:
ORDER NEW RING AND PINION KIT 68088179AD
AND DIFF CASE ASSEMBLY 68050784AI IF
STANDARD DIFF CASE OR 68053299AD IF
LIMITED SLIP DIFF CASE

Let me know if you have any questions
-Benny

Guess you stand corrected. Its easy enough just put the part number in google and see what pops up. I have the diff, gears and a 2013 Ram. I have talked to three part sellers and my dealership. They all say the same thing. This is the LSD.
I take it you've never seen a posi unit before have you, lol? Do you see that big hole in that carrier, that's called an opening....hint hint? As in open rear end as in that's what open means when they say open rear end. I've built around 20 posi rear ends and welded several open rears (the spider gears) to make posi's. I'm sure you did your homework and called these yahoos but they informed you wrong or someone missunderstood the other. Check out Summit Racing Motive C9-25E- and you will see an identical carrier with the same opening that is an open rear end. If it were a limited slip or posi you would not be able to see through the carrier. Someone fugged up somewhere in the parts numbers....somewhere, he he.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:16 PM

I had a 12 bolt posi on my 71 Firebird but I have very little experience with a 2013 245mm ZF German Differential as I suspect neither do you. I know what the Auburn diff looks like. But there are many threads on this forum buy guys who have done the swap that list part number 68053299AD as the LSD for the ZF rear. The only pic I can find is here:

http://www.autopartsasap.com/Mopar-6...Differntl.html

Looks exactly like the unit I have. I don't know how they made it LS. I am not a mechanical engineer. What I do know is many people on this forum and other forums including Matt from Moes and Benny from All Mopar Parts list this part number as a LSD and they sell these parts so I think they know what they are talking about. And when I went to the dealer that sold me my truck this is the part number they gave me. I bought 2 of the units from different vendors who said it is a LSD. They both look exactly the same with the same part number. Don't know of many open diffs that sell for 600 bucks. I know some of the phone reps don't know what they are talking about but when I get the same answer from ten different people I tend to trust the answer.

This is the unit you said looks like the one I have, its an open and EMPTY case for a 1985 truck. Looks nothing like the diff I have.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mgr-c9-25e

And here is the Open non-LSD Diff from Mopar

http://www.autopartsasap.com/Mopar-6...Case-Assy.html

And here is a link to my convo with Benny:

http://www.*************/f133/4_10_gear_swap-36423/

Last edited by jerseymike; 09-01-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:39 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Just to add a little confusion to the mix, but I believe the clutch packs for these ZF LSD's are compact and are placed just behind the spider gears where the axles slide into. I could have sworn I saw this in a Service Manual a year ago.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the info. That would be why it doesn't look like Auburn gears diff.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. That would be why it doesn't look like Auburn gears diff.
Lol, it would be why it doesn't look like an LSD. Auburn is not the only LSD on the market and their truetrack has helical gears. Those are not helical gears. Thank you to Gantman, that does make sense because that sure is a pretty carrier. As I originally said earlier the carrier was nice looking...unlike a Mopar cheap looking casting. jerseymike, there are many ways to make a posi or lsd. Ford has an odd ball posi with an s shaped clip applying pressure to the spider gears making it a posi but you can plainly see it ion the carrier.....just as you can see springs in a posi. If you shimmed the spider gears (they are loose) very tight together then you would be closer to a posi. Without any assistance (springs, cluthes) those spider gears roll around in a circle to preventing it from being a posi. Springs and clutches apply pressure to the spider gears making it hard to roll around in a circle...hence it becomes a posi. Same as welding the spider gears but not as rigid. Yes, if the clutches are behind the spider gears it is an LSD. All said, I keep hearing that these ZF LSD's have torque sensing helical gears and those are not helical gears. Anyway, I hope I'm wrong and it's a posi for you. Wish we had a pic with the diff cover off of a 2013 LSD....sure would like to see if it's the same. EDIT: BTW, when I say Mopar LSD casting is not as pretty, it's because that one you are selling very well could be a ZF. Mopar can put their name on it all they want but they can not make a beautifully machined carrier like that one. As I meant from the start, it does look like a ZF housing or NOT Mopar

Last edited by RadioFlyer; 09-01-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:27 PM

So here is a microfiche diagram of the diff components labeled as:

245MM REAR AXLE+4.10 Rear Axle Ratio+Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle.
CASE. Differential. [DSA] Without Staked Pinion Nut. . Required: 001

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...8053299AB.html

Just click on the image. This is the older(last month) part number, the new one ends in AD.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:53 PM

Ok. So I hauled my rear and my diff (LOL) up to Camber Bobs 4x4 Shop and he confirmed it is a LSD. The clutches are behind the spider gears. Yeay. But he is fully booked so I have to wait two weeks to get it installed. Ugh. To clear up any confusion I accidentally ordered two diffs, one is going in my truck and one is for sale!!
Closed Thread