DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 1ST Generation Dodge Ram 1993 & Older Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 1st Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Forest Green
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
Chucka51 is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Tail lights not working

Hi,
On my 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Truck only my right & left rear tail lights won't turn on. My Headlights and Brake lights work fine. But My tail lights won't work. Any help with this mater is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards, Chuck
Sponsored links
Old 09-29-2013, 02:24 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2918
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Does your front parking lights come on?
Old 09-29-2013, 10:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

yes they are just working
Old 09-29-2013, 11:48 PM
God Bless Texas!

RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Then I would check the ground for your tails. Do you have a test light or meter? Check for voltage at your tail lights.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Please Keep in mind I am a beginner at trouble shooting 12v vehicle electrical problems. So please forgive me if I don't always ask the right questions..

Yes, I have a multimeter. is there a separate ground for all the circuits in the common R & L rear bulbs that includes the tail, stop and turn signals in the same bulb?

Why I ask According to the wiring diagram in my Chilton's manual they all go to one common ground wire?

1) both Rear R & L Stop and Turn Signals work fine. Just both Rear R & L Tail lights won't turn on?

2) According to the diagram I believe the wire shown coming from the headlight sw that is black with a yellow stripe is the 12vdc supply to both tail light circuits is this correct? thankyou for your continued help
Old 09-30-2013, 11:54 PM
God Bless Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucka51 View Post
Please Keep in mind I am a beginner at trouble shooting 12v vehicle electrical problems. So please forgive me if I don't always ask the right questions.. Not a problem, Chuck. I'll help you ask the right questions.

Yes, I have a multimeter. is there a separate ground for all the circuits in the common R & L rear bulbs that includes the tail, stop and turn signals in the same bulb? Anywhere on the body of the truck, where you can touch bare metal, is a ground.

Why I ask According to the wiring diagram in my Chilton's manual they all go to one common ground wire? Sort of. The common ground is the chassis of the truck.

1) both Rear R & L Stop and Turn Signals work fine. Just both Rear R & L Tail lights won't turn on?

2) According to the diagram I believe the wire shown coming from the headlight sw that is black with a yellow stripe is the 12vdc supply to both tail light circuits is this correct? thankyou for your continued help
Since I don't have the Chilton's manual for your vehicle in front of me, I don't know if that is correct. I know this is really simple, but have you tried a new/different bulb. Although it's unlikely, both lights could have went out at or close to the same time. But, if it's not a bulb, use your meter. Put it on DC, should be a straight line and a dotted straight line. Turn your parking lights on and check for power by grounding the black lead to the frame and touch the red lead to the wires in the light socket. If the meter reads 12+ volts, then you know you have power. And to check continuity, turn the parking lights off, and do the same thing, except with the meter on the omega or upside down horseshoe. You should get a reading of 0 if the ground is good. Let me know how those tests turn out.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Hey, RogerRamJet,

I did the 2 test you suggested.
1) there is no 12v dc power from to the tail light bulb connector with the head/tail light switch turned on
and
2) checked continuity and
got a reading of 0 if the ground is good

Now what?
should I go all the way back to the head/Tail light sw. & verify that is working properly?

Thanks again, Chuck

Old 10-07-2013, 10:55 PM
God Bless Texas!

So your ground is good, you're just not getting any power. It's time to break out the wiring diagram and trace the wires back to the fuse box. Wait, before you do that, check the fuse... both sides of the fuse. It is more likely the fuse than anything else. Shoulda had you check that first. On your meter, ground the black to the frame, then touch the red or positive lead to the fuse, both sides. If you get 12V on both sides, then it's time to get the wiring diagram out. If you only have 12V on one side, you have a bad fuse and it needs to be replaced. Let me know how it turns out and we'll go from there.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

FYI...I did look for & found the fuse to be good right at first. It showed good.. and according to the diagram this fuse also feeds multiple circuits: i.e. R & L Front park lights. L & R license plate Lights which all turn on..
Old 10-08-2013, 03:29 PM
God Bless Texas!

OK, so then it's time to break out the wiring diagram and trace the tail light wires through each connection and figure out where the break is.