DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-28-2013, 06:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:87
country-boy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arth View Post

I don't think Ram really had any MAJOR hiccups minus the rear axle ratio's being incorrect on window stickers in 2013.
I'll apologize in advance for not trying harder to find the right thread.... can you guys tell me how to check the rear end ratio? At the very least, if I end up ordering one, I want to know how to double check it when I take possession. This is an important piece of the puzzle to me.
I know I can check GVWR, model year, assembly plant, etc on the VIN - but not the axle ratio.
Sponsored links
Old 09-28-2013, 06:34 PM
The Sound of Eight Hooves

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:528
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

I get about 17-18 MPG with my 2013 quad cab 4x4 hemi 8 speed 3.21 diff. That's with about 60% city, 40% highway. The EPA rating on the sticker when I bought it was 15city 17combined 21highway. I have got over 23MPG on a long road trip before, and while I was unloaded and I'm sure I had a tailwind, the truck always gets better than EPA estimated, and the EPA est for the Hemi is only 1mpg less than for a comparable ecoboost. The guys with the v6 have been getting mid 20s though, even in their crew cabs.

The 8 speed transmission is a solid design that has been around for several years and is the same one used in the Maserati Quattroporte and Rolls-Royce Wraith. The previous 6 speed is also a solid transmission, and most of those who I've heard of having trouble with them had modified their trucks by changing their shift points with a tuner etc...

For the Hemi the manual states 89 octane recommended, 87 is acceptable, so 87 is just fine.
Huskyliner Weatherbeaters, door edge guards, Line-X bedliner, Kryptek Typhon Cordura seat covers w/ MOLLE panels (review), Console Vault (install/review), Bilstein 4600s (thread), BFG T/A KO2 LT275/60/20s (thread), Borla XR-1 (thread).
Old 09-28-2013, 07:12 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:2028
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by country-boy View Post
I'll apologize in advance for not trying harder to find the right thread.... can you guys tell me how to check the rear end ratio? At the very least, if I end up ordering one, I want to know how to double check it when I take possession. This is an important piece of the puzzle to me.
I know I can check GVWR, model year, assembly plant, etc on the VIN - but not the axle ratio.
When the truck is delivered look underneath it on the rear axle to the left as you are looking at the back of the truck. There will be a sticker there that has the rear axle ratio.

Also the ratio will be listed on the window sticker now. It can be replaced for $50 with the 3.55 and 3.92 ratios under the optional equipment side.

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:09 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Color: Granite Crystal
Rep:87
country-boy will become famous soon enough

Thanx Arth - that's too easy. I figured that I'd have to look for a sticker or plate somewhere, but that it would be a code of some sort.
I wonder how you can tell later in life, after the sticker is shot or gone.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:12 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:2028
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by country-boy View Post
Thanx Arth - that's too easy. I figured that I'd have to look for a sticker or plate somewhere, but that it would be a code of some sort.
I wonder how you can tell later in life, after the sticker is shot or gone.
Go to the ram trucks website and contact the customer service for a build sheet. The rear axle ratio will be listed there as well.

That is how people like me, who bought this truck used, know what we have.

I have 3.92 rear axle.

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:18 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:156
RandyW has a spectacular aura aboutRandyW has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnvf250 View Post
All of this happened to me with my 2012 lariat Ecoboost. They never did fix it. It was in the shop for over 40 days in the first year. I sued and won. the best I ever got mpg wise on my Ecoboost was 17.3mpg. with 3.55 rear end. I have test drove the laramies with the 5.7l a lot and trip I take on test drives I would average right at 20.5mpg.

So I ordered a Laramie the other day. Hopefully dodge doesn't disappoint like Ford did.
I tried to send you a PM, but I'm new here and haven't made enough posts in order to be able to send messages to people. I hope you get this:

Hey man, I just read your post about you having the ecoboost problem and sueing. What all did you sue for, what were you able to get back out of it?

Mine's been in the shop twice so far. They replaced the intercooler first go around. Just picked it up today after the second trip, with a piece of paper saying they tried everything and were unable to fix it. I think it's been in the shop a total of about 14 days. I'm not quite sure what to do. I don't know if it's worth getting a lawyer, or just taking the damn thing to dodge to trade and order my new RAM. Got any pointers? Also, how long did the whole process take?

I've only got 9,900 miles on the EcoBoost, and have had it 5 months so far.
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Crew Cab Big Horn (3.21 gears) - Black Ext. Black/Grey Int. Mods include: Weathertech Digital Floormats, Limo Tint + Windshield, 2.5" HBS Leveling Kit, Blacked out badges, LED bulbs Interior/Exterior, 13" Stubby AntennaX, In-Cab Air Filter Mod, 18" Ultra Baron Wheels & 275/70R18 Nitto Trail Grapplers.

Last edited by RandyW; 10-03-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:13 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:108
gwilburn will become famous soon enoughgwilburn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyW View Post
I tried to send you a PM, but I'm new here and haven't made enough posts in order to be able to send messages to people. I hope you get this:

Hey man, I just read your post about you having the ecoboost problem and sueing. What all did you sue for, what were you able to get back out of it?

Mine's been in the shop twice so far. They replaced the intercooler first go around. Just picked it up today after the second trip, with a piece of paper saying they tried everything and were unable to fix it. I think it's been in the shop a total of about 14 days. I'm not quite sure what to do. I don't know if it's worth getting a lawyer, or just taking the damn thing to dodge to trade and order my new RAM. Got any pointers? Also, how long did the whole process take?

I've only got 9,900 miles on the EcoBoost, and have had it 5 months so far.
Do you have a "lemon law" in Florida? There's no way I'd take the hit on a trade-in. You just haven't gone up with ladder far enough. See if your dealer will let you talk directly to the Ford factory rep. Get his number and you call him. I would tell him and your dealer that the next phone call is to your lawyer. You'll be suing for the original price of the truck AND to recoup the legal costs.

FWIW, I've had my 14 crew 4x4 for a few weeks now. Average mpg is 16-17 in mixed driving (lots of 3 mile trips). I have the 8 speed with the 5.7 and 3.92 gears.
Neighbor with the ego-poop is getting 11 mpg.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:37 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:156
RandyW has a spectacular aura aboutRandyW has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilburn View Post
Do you have a "lemon law" in Florida? There's no way I'd take the hit on a trade-in. You just haven't gone up with ladder far enough. See if your dealer will let you talk directly to the Ford factory rep. Get his number and you call him. I would tell him and your dealer that the next phone call is to your lawyer. You'll be suing for the original price of the truck AND to recoup the legal costs.

FWIW, I've had my 14 crew 4x4 for a few weeks now. Average mpg is 16-17 in mixed driving (lots of 3 mile trips). I have the 8 speed with the 5.7 and 3.92 gears.
Neighbor with the ego-poop is getting 11 mpg.
Yes, we have the lemon law here in florida. However, it states that you have to have the issue 3 times, or have your truck in the shop for a total of 15 days.

I've had my truck in the shop twice, and I have a total of about 13-14 days in the shop. But my deal seems a little different. I picked my truck up yesterday because they told me they cannot fix it (as there is no fix). So technically, I could just take it back to the shop right now, because it's still not fixed. This is just the damdest thing I've ever seen.
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Crew Cab Big Horn (3.21 gears) - Black Ext. Black/Grey Int. Mods include: Weathertech Digital Floormats, Limo Tint + Windshield, 2.5" HBS Leveling Kit, Blacked out badges, LED bulbs Interior/Exterior, 13" Stubby AntennaX, In-Cab Air Filter Mod, 18" Ultra Baron Wheels & 275/70R18 Nitto Trail Grapplers.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:46 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:108
gwilburn will become famous soon enoughgwilburn will become famous soon enough

Then that's what I would do... or take it to a different dealer.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: black two tone
Rep:10
ram2013outdoorsman is on a distinguished road

Hi RandyW
I have left Ford and will not look back i had a 2010 and 2012 , the 2010 was great had no isssues the 2012 i was swindled into it and thats one of the reasons i left , other being lied to telling me it as trailor package and sync and had neither, i also worried about the tranny issue you hear tell about the Ram but that was in the 90's and early 00's Dodge got there Shit together with these trucks . if your going to go v6 get the dielse IMP or go with the 8,
once you go to ram you wont look back ............The only way i look back in my ram is when i am passing the f150's or Chevs lol