DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-30-2013, 04:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
TexasGirl is on a distinguished road
Default Truck doesn't start sometimes

A couple of weeks ago my truck wouldn't start. After several times trying to turn the key, it finally started. But I took it to the dealer and they basically did nothing. Said it was probably a fluke and would never happen again. Well last Thursday, it wouldn't start with first time turning key that morning. Then 2nd time it cranked right up. Then that afternoon I went out to start it to go home and I tried 5-6 times and nothing. I turned the key to the on position and took truck out of park and put it into drive then back to park. Turned the key and she started right up. I promptly took it to a mechanic that does all my oil changes. He put a machine on it and checked the battery, alternator and then tried to start it. He said it was using way too many amps to start. He said it read 500 amps. He said starter should only pull around 275-300 amps. He said more than likely it was the starter. I called dealer and the manager got on the phone. He said they can't do anything until they can get it to reproduce what it's been doing. He also said that 500 amps didn't mean it was starter problems.

When it doesn't start, it does one click and then nothing. Any thoughts or ideas? Also is there a certain amount of pulling amps that is considered too much?
Sponsored links
Old 09-30-2013, 10:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Hemi12 is on a distinguished road

You have the exact problem I did....Happened a bunch of times and it is frustrating to say the least...Brought it to my dealer in CT and told them I can't reproduce it but I want it fixed.....Scheduled a appointment...Dropped it off and after a few hours they called and told me they added a redundant grounding wire....I can see it goes from the battery to somewhere behind the motor..They also told me they had a few come in with the same problem...apparently its a faulty parking switch or something like that. Since they added the ground I have not had any issues with my truck not starting. The dealer was Mitchell/Chrysler Dodge in Simsbury CT...
Old 10-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
KSHEMIRAM is on a distinguished road

I too had this issue, and got the same old same old from the dealer. Can't reproduce it, so you're on you're own. So the next time it did it, I tried to video the process with my phone, but it fired right up on the second turn of the key. Just my luck. Luckily, it hasn't done it in quite a while, nor have I gotten stranded somewhere.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Hemi Regular Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:277
GrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the rough

Yup.....my 05 Rumble Bee did the same thing.......took it to 6 mechanics(3 dodge)........it was like the frog in the Bugs Bunny cartoons.....get an audience.....BURRP! did it for over a year........got my '12 and said bye bye
Old 10-01-2013, 05:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Color: Deep Cherry Red
TexasGirl is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the responses. My truck is 2012. And I live in Texas, so unfortunately I can't take it to CT. I did take it to another mechanic yesterday and he said it sounds like the starter could be the problem but these newer trucks/cars are so complex. He said it could be the computer causing it not to start, said it could also be a relay switch or the key. I read on another post that some are having problems with their ignition keys and that if the key I'm il using doesn't work to try my second key which I may do if it happens again. Trouble is I have to have both keys with me in case away from home when it doesn't start. The guy yesterday swapped the starter relay fuse thing with the a/c blower ( for the rear seats). He said if the rear a/c blower quits working then it's the relay I'm not gonna take it to the dealer until it stops completely. I have to have my truck for work as I drive around during the day quite a bit. I didn't purchase the extended warranty and I would have to pay for a rental car while the dealer has my truck trying to get it to reproduce the no starting issue. My dad is gonna take his 2013 RAM in and have gem check he amps on his truck when he starts it. If his truck uses less than 500 amps, then to me there is something wrong with the amount of amps my starter uses to start. Which should then be something they can use to work with in resolving the issue. But then, I'm a female and they all think I don't know anything and will try to intimidate me.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Sport
Color: Cherry Red
RMFR is on a distinguished road

Im having same issue with my 2012 Ram 1500, it doesnt start sometimes, took to dealer twice and they cant fix because they cant find the problem
Old 10-03-2013, 10:05 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Hemi Regular Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:277
GrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMFR View Post
Im having same issue with my 2012 Ram 1500, it doesnt start sometimes, took to dealer twice and they cant fix because they cant find the problem
Its like chasin shadows
Old 10-03-2013, 11:19 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2918
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, you're right. Your truck is very complex and it could be a number of things, but hopefully not more than one cause those are a bear to find. Good luck with getting it fixed. Let us know how it turns out. Where bouts in the great state of Texas are you?
Old 10-04-2013, 06:48 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Trim Level: 1500 Bighorn
Rep:54
MrPiper will become famous soon enough

Our 2012 Ram 1500 Hemi Bighorn Crew cab just got in line here. My wife said that yesterday it flashed the "Seatbelt Not Fastened" light when it clearly was fastened. She unbuckled and re buckled and the light went off, then the next time in, it wouldn't start. Just one thump / click as described above. After several tries it finally cranked. I am looking forward to hearing more replies here. I am going to the dealer in a few days for my last ever oil change and plan to print out this thread and take it with me!
Old 10-04-2013, 06:57 PM
Licensed thread jacker

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1711
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

There are a few threads on this subject in the'12 section. The most common two fixes are to adjust the shifter cable, or the NSS inside of the transmission.

I'll see if I can find 'em. But Jacksonsnorth had the issue and it was driving him nuts as well as a few others. His turned out to be the NSS, however that has fallen to second as a cause as the cable adjustment has had some very good luck. Usually the cable adjustment works if the truck will start in neutral after failing to have started in park. The only way to recreate the situation is to put it in gear, back in park, shut it off, and try to restart it, repeat.

I've noticed that the dealer usually tries starting it a few times to get it to recreate the problem, but without engaging it into gear and back into park, they're wasting their time.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146080

This one is the NSS

http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=113784

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....nsnorth&page=7

Last edited by Warlock III; 10-04-2013 at 07:05 PM.