DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-01-2013, 07:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:99
TexasBorn will become famous soon enough
Default Is it just me...

Or do the factory horns seem a little lack luster compared to others? maybe it's how well sealed the cab is, or that the horns themselves are in the very front of the truck, but it seems like the horns don't have as much oomph behind them like they used to. they're still loud, but i remember the ones on the 3rd gens had some punch behind them. also, the horn pad can be finnicky at times. like on other models, or even makes, all you have to do is just poke at the steering wheel and it'll sound. on the 4th gens, at least mine, you have to completely depress the center of the ram head to do so (making it hard to get that short quick "friendly" honk). i'm probably just knit picking and need to get over it, I just wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this.
Sponsored links
Old 10-01-2013, 07:57 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4362
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

The horns are a bit less loud than the 3rd gens, they are also controlled by the computer so when you punch the horn you have a delay, it sucks and I hate it, there is no such thing as a friendly honk with these 4th gens. up to 2012 its not bad but the 2013's the horn is located under the battery, when you honk your horn you feel like its honking youself in the cab.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:04 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Sport 1500 5.7L Hemi
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:97
DUBVRAM will become famous soon enough

Might as well get one of the squeaky horns you put on the handle bars of a bike and clamp it to your mirror....
K&N air intake, Dynomax Ultra Flo SS Exhaust, OEM Mopar Nerf Bars, EGR In-Channels, BT Catch Can, ArmorThane bedliner, BakFlip F1, AntennaX Black Billet 7", Bilstein 5100s x4,DiabloSport inTune-DCX w/HF Tune, Moes' 87mmTB, 22"SRT10 wheels, Nitto285/45R22 420s, Metal Mulisha 5" Exhaust Tips
Old 10-01-2013, 09:30 AM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

I am not a fan of the horns even on the 2012's, there is a guy around here (forgot his username on the forum he was at Gatty though) that happens to have a train horn and that thing is loud lol! ever since I have heard that thing for about 15 miles on a couple cruises at Gatty no factory horn has sounded sufficient since.

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
July Blowout Sale! 10% over cost and free shipping on any and all in stock items!
Old 10-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Ram Ham

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:1463
KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

I agree with you.. I have tried, and failed, on numerous occasions to tap out that friendly honk. I've all but given up. The only way to get my horn to even sound is applying direct force, usually requiring a rush of anger - say, I-15 during rush hour. And even then, it sounds rather wimpy for my Ram.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:22 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Color: Tequila Sunrise
Rep:51
jrtz80 will become famous soon enough

That makes total sense. I couldn't figure out why it didn't honk, then would honk to long, lol. Electronically controlled... wow.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA1OTE View Post
I agree with you.. I have tried, and failed, on numerous occasions to tap out that friendly honk. I've all but given up. The only way to get my horn to even sound is applying direct force, usually requiring a rush of anger - say, I-15 during rush hour. And even then, it sounds rather wimpy for my Ram.
Glad i'm not the only one. and it wouldn't be AS bad, but you have to press the very center of the horn pad. on other vehicles, you could at least press the outside of the horn pad or top or bottom to get it to sound. with this, i've done that but nothing happened because i didn't depress the center of it. almost seems like a borderline hazard. not to mention the delay of it
Old 10-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Prone to maundering

Vehicle: 2012 1500 reg. cab 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Rep:3148
PaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBorn View Post
Glad i'm not the only one. and it wouldn't be AS bad, but you have to press the very center of the horn pad. on other vehicles, you could at least press the outside of the horn pad or top or bottom to get it to sound. with this, i've done that but nothing happened because i didn't depress the center of it. almost seems like a borderline hazard. not to mention the delay of it
Agreed. Just goes to show that not all things are better computerized. For anyone 30 years old or more, remember when your cable box would change channels instantly, instead of having that F@!*ing digitized delay?
Old 10-01-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
Agreed. Just goes to show that not all things are better computerized. For anyone 30 years old or more, remember when your cable box would change channels instantly, instead of having that F@!*ing digitized delay?
I don't understand why it even needs to be computerized in the first place. Dont fix what isn't broken. It's a frickin horn...why the hell does it need to be run through a computer.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Ram Ham

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Rep:1463
KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

I failed to mention earlier that my application of 'angry force' must still be applied to the exact center, directly over the Ram Head, in order to sound. One would think that applying enough pressure anywhere along the 'floating' center of the steering wheel would engage the horn.. but sadly, the days of the horn 'wave', as I used to call it, are in the past.

This problem also puts me between a rock and a hard place.. when I deem another driver, or a pedestrian, is deserving of a toot, I want to be able to sound the horn without fear of breaking my steering wheel. I also care very much for my truck and I am getting tired of having to wipe off the Ram Head every time I use the horn (call me crazy, I know, but that chrome gets it every blasted time).