DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-01-2013, 10:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT 4x4
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:214
Gecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura about
Default Custom tune question

So when I had my exhaust done I also had them do a custom tune for my truck. Well I'm still blowing some white smoke out of the exhaust. Not thick white clouds, but enough to make it noticeable. From my understanding this means I'm most likely running lean because of an incorrect a/f ratio. I talked to the shop that did my tune and they guy told me to take some videos and email them to him. I'm in the process of doing that this week. But would running lean like that cause any other performance issues? I haven't really noticed anything and the truck has definitely run better since the exhaust was done, though that may be a credit given to the much more free flowing that it is now. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm hoping to be able to take it back to the shop and have them fix it, or if I really have to I'll just contact Hemifever, or someone else and get another custom tune.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:11 PM

Vehicle: 2013
Trim Level: Express
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:116
jerseymike will become famous soon enoughjerseymike will become famous soon enough

Never heard of white smoke meaning its running lean. Could be leaking antifreeze into the cylinder through the head gasket but I would have thought the tuners would have picked up on that if it was an issue. I would take it back and have them check it out.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:45 PM

Gecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura about

I swear I read it meant I was running lean. Maybe I didn't

Either way I know I shouldn't be having white smoke come out of the exhaust. And no, its not that cold start up smoke that you see on cars. This happens when the engine is cold or hot, when I've been driving for 2 minutes or 2 hours.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:55 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L hemi
Trim Level: 1500
Rep:177
brondondolon has a spectacular aura aboutbrondondolon has a spectacular aura about

well typically when you have white smoke coming out of the exhaust that means a blown head gasket or cracked head. If you havent checked if its the head there are a few ways to do it.

1. check the antifreeze: if its abnormally low or high and there is oil mixed with it making it kinda milky thats a sign of oil mixing with the coolant some where down the line due to a cracked head or head gasket.

2. check the oil: if that is milky and high past the full mark that is a pretty promising sign that coolant has made it into the combustion chamber.

3. check the radiator: while the engine is cool and the radiator is filled to its proper limit start the truck. if after a second if it starts bubbling typically that means compression from the engine has made it into the cooling system. some times you might even have smoke coming out of the bubbles being produced.

i pray for you that its not your HG. i dont know about your year ram but on the 6.0 ford diesel they were notorious for popping head gaskets once a tuner was installed. if it is your head gasket though its a big job but not an impossible one and luckily if it is the head gasket and you do decide to do it your self there are guys who have blown theirs in here that im sure would love to help you out. get back to us and let us know what you find
S&B CAI, Y-pipe muffler delete, Diablo intune, Hemifever, custom tune, 180 thermostat, BT oil catch can, smoked, tail light and 3rd breaklight, 5000k retrosolutions 55w HID headlights and fog lights, LED in all exterior lamps, red calipers. Future mods: 87mm TB, 3000 stall torque converter
Old 10-02-2013, 01:55 AM

brondondolon has a spectacular aura aboutbrondondolon has a spectacular aura about

well typically when you have white smoke coming out of the exhaust that means a blown head gasket or cracked head. If you havent checked if its the head there are a few ways to do it.

1. check the antifreeze: if its abnormally low or high and there is oil mixed with it making it kinda milky thats a sign of oil mixing with the coolant some where down the line due to a cracked head or head gasket.

2. check the oil: if that is milky and high past the full mark that is a pretty promising sign that coolant has made it into the combustion chamber.

3. check the radiator: while the engine is cool and the radiator is filled to its proper limit start the truck. if after a second if it starts bubbling typically that means compression from the engine has made it into the cooling system. some times you might even have smoke coming out of the bubbles being produced.

i pray for you that its not your HG. i dont know about your year ram but on the 6.0 ford diesel they were notorious for popping head gaskets once a tuner was installed. if it is your head gasket though its a big job but not an impossible one and luckily if it is the head gasket and you do decide to do it your self there are guys who have blown theirs in here that im sure would love to help you out. get back to us and let us know what you find
S&B CAI, Y-pipe muffler delete, Diablo intune, Hemifever, custom tune, 180 thermostat, BT oil catch can, smoked, tail light and 3rd breaklight, 5000k retrosolutions 55w HID headlights and fog lights, LED in all exterior lamps, red calipers. Future mods: 87mm TB, 3000 stall torque converter
Old 10-02-2013, 02:55 AM

The coolant is fine as well as the oil. I'll have to check the radiator tomorrow but I don't think its that either.

I don't have smoke coming out constantly. If I'm driving on the highway nothing is coming out. Its fine the streets around town too. Its mostly whenever I come to a stop sign and have to accelerate again. Or I'm slowing down real slow, such as approaching a red light, but then accelerating when it turns green. No smoke comes when the transmission shifts gears while I'm driving.

I'm trying to think of anything else I may have left out...
Old 10-02-2013, 12:50 PM

hmm and this issue only appeared after the custom tune?
Old 10-02-2013, 01:48 PM

Yea. Could it be because I don't have my cats anymore? I don't think that would cause it but I guess thats always a possibility
Old 10-02-2013, 03:49 PM

personally id imagine that not having cats with the addition a tune would cause a little bit of smoke because you dont have the cats to kinda absorb the emissions. however im not 100% sure. The guy who wrote the tune has never heard of anything like this?
Old 10-02-2013, 08:57 PM

That was my first thought too. But I'm not so sure. My buddy has a catless Saleen mustang with a supercharger, custom cams, and custom tune among other things and he doesn't have the smoke like I do.

I guess I'll just have to make the videos and send them to the guy and see what he says.