DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > Cummins Diesel Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Charcoal Grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
chrisshreves is on a distinguished road
Default First Time Diesel Owner-Need Advice

My father just purchased a 2013 Ram 2500 with the 6.7L Cummins. Neither of us have ever owned a Diesel, and quite frankly we don't know much about them. The only reason why we bought it was because it was such a good deal. The truck was "new" but had 3,000 miles on it because it was a dealer demo. We opted for the 2500 because of the deal he was able to get, although a 1500 would have suited us just fine.

He has two concerns with the truck, which is what led me here to this forum.

1. Can he increase the fuel economy any?
2. The sidewalls of his tires are rubbing the control arms at full lock.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. When he purchased the truck, he was told he would get about 16mpg city, highway, towing, etc. Dealer claimed 16mpg no matter what. He does not tow, just travels about 30 miles on highway (70mph) one way to work each day. He is currently reading 14mpg with the onboard system, and would like to see the 16mpg he planned on. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the onboard system is wrong, because the truck does not have a tuner (Stock ECM) but it has 35" tires on it (which I know aren't stock). Any ideas?

2. The dealer sold the truck with 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers mounted. The tires make the truck look and sit nicely, and the road noise really isn't all too bad, but the rubbing is a concern. I looked underneath and the dealer had cut the plastic inner finders to accommodate for the larger tires. The tires are actually rubbing on the control arms at full lock. This is annoying because the truck makes a strange noise and "hops" when they rub. I told him either the truck has to go up, or the tires have to go down. He is thinking about downsizing the tire size. What would you all recommend? He will probably be looking at either all seasons or all terrains, rather than these mudslingers that are mounted now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A picture of the truck is attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_20130827_175042.jpg (116.8 KB, 38 views)
Sponsored links
Old 11-13-2013, 12:13 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Rep:1969
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Nice looking truck!

There's not a lot you can add to a 2013 Cummins to increase fuel mileage right now. No tuners or deletes are available for them yet and nothing else is really going to effect it. A CAI might give about 1 mpg better fuel ecomony but that would be about it. It might even be less of a gain on the 2013's because of the active air intake system that they have. Check out S&B Filters if you want to look at a CAI for it.
As you stated, the EVIC reading of his fuel mileage is going to be wrong because of the larger tires. If it's reading 14 mpg he might actually be up around 16 mpg. You'll have to hand calculate it at fill ups to get accurate results.
Those tires definitely aren't helping with the fuel mileage either. They're big and heavy.... If you do want to increase mileage even more you'd be better off looking for some AT tires that that are lighter. You could even go a size smaller if you wanted.

As far as the rubbing goes, is it rubbing on both sides or just one? If it's on both sides it's because the wheels have too much backspacing for the width of the tire. The only way to fix that would be getting aftermarket rims with less backspacing or swapping out the tires for narrower ones.
If it's only rubbing on the passenger side it means they leveled the truck but didn't put an adjustable track bar on it to recenter the axle. If that's the case adding an adjustable track bar will definitely help with the problem. Do you know if it's been leveled or not?

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 11-24-2013, 12:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:20
dalboa is on a distinguished road

Tire size is definitely skewing the computer a bit.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 2500 Mega Cab Diesel
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:10
cwmartin59 is on a distinguished road
Default 2013 RAM 2500 Diesel MegaCab MPG

I bought this truck in Oct 2013. I then put it to the test and drove it to Seattle, WA and back to Maryland. On my trip back, the distance driven was 2999.0 at an average speed of 64 MPH, averaging 21.1 MPG. My truck now has 7328 miles on the speedometer.

The vehicle I traded was a 2012 RAM 1500 with a 5.7L Hemi. The best mileage I got on a trip was 18.4. Around home my MPG was 11 - 12 MPG, but this is due more to the short distance I drive from home to work (4 miles one way). Longer trips around home, approximately 30 mile drive, the mileage would increase to almost 15 MPG.

My 2013 Diesel gets about 14 - 15 MPG on my short drive to work and about 17 driving in and around town.

The wheels on my 2013 Diesel are 17 x 8 rims and tires size LT265/70R17 (Firestone Transformers).

Bottom line is that I really enjoyed my 2012 RAM 1500, but I love my 2013 RAM 2500 Diesel MegaCab.