DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > Cummins Diesel Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 2500 ST Cummins
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
crsby34 is on a distinguished road
Default 2013 2500 Cummins Auto Transmission Problem

Hey All,

Has anyone experienced this with their 2013 Cummins Automatic transmissions? When I'm driving down the road, accelerating at half throttle or so, when the truck wants to shift from 3rd to 4th and from 4th to 5th, the engine will rev up an additional 200 rpm's before shifting into the appropriate gear. For example, its in 3rd gear, wants to shift at 2,000 rpm's, the truck will rev up to 2,200 rpm's before going to 4th gear at around 1,600 rpm's.

I've taken it to the dealership twice and they are completely stumped. They told me that it is just the way the new trucks shift, and that there is nothing wrong with my truck. I'm about ready to shove this truck back in their face because I guarantee Ford and Chevy transmissions don't slip like this. I know that with all of the electronics these days, the problem might not be with the transmission but with the computer.

My other question is that how many times do I have to send this truck into the dealership before I can call it a lemon. This is obviously last resort, but I don't want to drive a brand new truck with shifting problems like this.
Sponsored links
Old 10-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Rep:1962
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Since your truck is a 2500 it has the same 68rfe transmission as my '12 3500 so essentially it should run exactly the same. And I can tell you that my truck doesn't do anything like that. It just grabs the next gear, and keeps pulling.... The only time my truck jumps up like that is if I'm going up hill and it needs to downshift. Then the torque converter unlocks so the RPM jumps for a sec before it locks back up and continues to pull like the beast it is.

I'm going to say there's definitely something wrong with your transmission. I wouldn't go as far as to say your whole truck is a lemon... just the tranny. It could be something as simple as a shift solenoid but my guess is that it's something more inside the transmission. So don't let your dealership tell you that's typical for all the new trucks, that's BS! If that's what they think, tell them to let you jump in one of their trucks on the lot and see if that one does it. They're just trying to get out of having to fix it.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 10-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 2500 ST Cummins
Trim Level: ST
crsby34 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the information. I do realize that the whole truck isn't a lemon. But I'm just trying to figure out a way for them to get off their ass and fix it.

I dropped it off yesterday to get the radio replaced because that has been failing on me. While I was there, I asked them about the claim for my transmission. His BS response was "yeah, Chrysler realizes their is an issue, and that other trucks are seeing similar problems, but they don't have a solution yet". Which again, makes me believe that he is yanking my chain and isn't really motivated to get this fixed.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 dodge ram
Trim Level: big horn
Color: black
rondora is on a distinguished road

My 2013 3500 is doing the same thing (acts like the tranny is slipping when shifting up). Haven't said anything to the dealer yet, as I wasn't sure if it was normal or not. I briefly had a 2012 3500 which had a lot more positive shift. I don't know if it has the same rear end or not...the 2013 window sticker says it's a 3:42. That might have something to do with the way it shifts. It seems to shift better if I get on it a little.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:36 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondora View Post
My 2013 3500 is doing the same thing (acts like the tranny is slipping when shifting up). Haven't said anything to the dealer yet, as I wasn't sure if it was normal or not. I briefly had a 2012 3500 which had a lot more positive shift. I don't know if it has the same rear end or not...the 2013 window sticker says it's a 3:42. That might have something to do with the way it shifts. It seems to shift better if I get on it a little.
All 2013 2500/3500 Cummins SWR have 3.42 gears. 3.73's were standard on a '12 so I'd assume that's what yours had. That wouldn't make a difference in the transmission shifting though.

8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Old 10-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

I am not saying this is normal at all but I wonder if this is Ram's attempt to make the 2500 shifts while not in tow haul mode more... driver friendly? I know from owning my 2012 Cummins it would grab every gear without hesitation.

I wonder...

Have either of you tried running around in Tow/Haul and seeing if the transmission has the same shifts?

Also does the truck noticeably jerk when it shifts after the RPMs jump a bit or is the tach the only way to tell?

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
evolau is on a distinguished road

When I have issues I usually call Dodge Ram Customer care, first you have to register than file complaint so they have a record of the problem and tell them about the dealer's answer to your problem. If it is an unusual problem they will contact the dealer to take care of it. I now go to them before I even talk to a dealer. the phone # is 1-866-726-4636
Old 10-06-2013, 03:08 AM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

I just read a post on Cumminsforum tonight about a guy having the same issue. He ended up putting an aftermarket deep pan on his transmission that could hold around 4 qts more (I think he said it took 13 to fill the tranny) and apparently that got rid of his issue. Not really sure why... Without looking at it my guess is that maybe there's something up with the pick up location or depth.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 RAM
Trim Level: RAM HEAVY DUTY
Color: WHITE
IMIKE83 is on a distinguished road

I am new to the forum, I have a 2013 Ram 2500 Cummins with 6k miles. I have had transmission issues since it was brand new. It has been back to the dealer 5 times, last visit I was told it was a valve body in the transmission and it was a widespread problem and the parts were on back ordered. The shifting issue is worse when pulling trailers sounds like whole under carriage is coming apart. Part has been on order for a month!!
Old 04-09-2014, 03:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Cherry Red
fliinhi123 is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

I have a 2013 Ram 2500 diesel with a little over 18,000 miles on it. The problem is the transimission shifting. When it is downshifting from low speeds (say, around 25 to zero), it feels like the entire transmission/rear end is gong to shake loose from the truck. To get a better idea of the "feel", if you've ever worked on a tranny that had hard shifting and you "adjusted the bands", then you have an idea of the feel, but much harder. I've had it to the dealter 4 times. They have done software updates, and re-set the software to "learn". Nothing has worked. I drove a 2014, and if mine shifted like it did, I would not be on the forum. I'm about to go through customer care and lemon the truck. Would much prefer not to. Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks, Dave