DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 4th Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-03-2013, 10:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black/sandstone
Rep:38
Kindanocturnal is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone encounter ram drifting at 60+ mph

I have a 2010 dodge ram that started pulling into any rut in the road especially at speeds over 60+mph. Alignment is fine, tires have less then 12000 miles.
Sponsored links
Old 10-03-2013, 10:36 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

By your description it's a road condition issue, not your truck. If it's pulling into a rut, which are very common on well used pavement, then it's not the truck's issue.

However, if your tie rods are worn it may have a bit more give in the steering knuckle, which will move the front a round a bit more without steering rack input.

The tires may be low mileage, but they may be wearing unevenly, have you looked for cupping or uneven wear?
Old 10-04-2013, 05:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Owe it is definitely a truck issue, i am the original owner and am at about 46,000 miles. It will do this on any road. When I say rut in the road I mean the hi-low points within a lane or when you change lanes.

I originally noticed a week or so after rotating my tires, I figured I had waited too long to rotate and the had got conditioned (front vs rear). I put up with it for about 2000 miles then switched back. Problem remains and seems to be getting worse. Tires are very even wear and do not have any cupping. The alignment was done when I got my new tires a little over a year ago and I do not run off road and have not hit anything.

I run airbags in the back for when I tow and have a leveling kit with 2 1/2" blocks in the rear.

I do not have any play in the steering and it almost feels like it might be coming from the rear?
Old 10-04-2013, 05:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Not sure if related but, I crawled under it yesterday and my rear coils springs look like they have a bend to them. I jacked it up, pulled the wheel and dropped the rear end down. Both compressed and expanded, there appears to be a bend toward the back in the bottom 1/3 of the spring which I do not recall being there when I raised it 2 years ago.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Does this look normal to you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (129.0 KB, 51 views)
Old 10-04-2013, 07:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I'm no mechanic, but no, that does not look normal to me.

I'd have the truck checked out by someone who knows what they're looking at.

good luck and keep us updated

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 10-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Not normal, the spring cannot compress properly in this position, how does your drive shaft to the diff look?
Old 10-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I am at Les Schwab now putting it on an alignment rack & I have an appointment at the dealer on Monday. The dealer says that they have never heard of rear springs bending.

The good news is if it is the springs makes it an easier seller to do the 6" lift. The bad news is, I am not sure what would cause it other then maybe the the block changing the pressure point on the spring and the bags not letting them compress down forcing it to squirt sideways. I typically only put about 25-30 psi in the bags when I pump them up.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Well Les Schwab says that the springs aren't bent, that there is always a slight rotation in the rear end which can change the pitch that the spring intersects. Being that they are not Dodge dealers he does not know if this is within the "normal" perimeters. I also have a worn left upper ball joint which he says will not cause my problem. The tires and alignment are all good.

I have wait to see what the dealer says on Monday.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:53 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing that spring makes me wonder the state of your panhard bar. If it's bent or the bushings are worn out then it would allow lateral movement of the rear axle and this would account for the feeling of the back end shifting around that you are wondering about.

Can you snap some pictures of your panhard bar? It's the one right across the rear diff above the sway bar.