DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-04-2013, 01:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
countryboyloaded is on a distinguished road

Ahh I see. I hate for you bud. I never would have thought it would have came down to that! Some folks just take their job way to serious. Best of luck to you though!
Sponsored links
Old 10-04-2013, 01:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:159
CaptDuff has a spectacular aura aboutCaptDuff has a spectacular aura about

I had a friend in high school who had a 60's or 70's camaro (forget the year), but he was having engine problems. Only way to keep t going was to keep his foot on the gas. Leaving from the house, he barely spun the tires and laid rubber about 15 feet long. 1 of the neighbors called the cops, they gave him a $1000 and 6 point ticket for reckless driving or something like that.

He ended up fighting, but still lost $500 and 3 points off his license. All for some neighbor who couldn't see he was having engine problems.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:37 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:69
The Hemster will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by robustRed View Post
Has anyone in the Houston area been issued a ticket for this. If so how much was it? $750 is OUTRAGEOUS! Is this cop just trying to get money out of me because I have a clean record and am not familiar with the system? Should i try and fight this in court? If anyone has been issued a ticket like this, please chime in.
To be fair, there are 2 possibilities. 1. You got pulled over by an eccentric cop aka A Sheriff traffic cop. 2. You were doing something that pissed him off. I'm a CHP officer and most of us don't write too many mechanicals. That's kind of extreme. I've never even heard of that. But it is Texas. On the other hand most violators have some explanation that makes the cop sound crazy. I've written exhibition of speed before but the person has to be acting stupid right in front of me to get that cite.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

in southern california, san diego to be exact
I received a ticket for defacing the road, burning rubber on a public street
cops can't give you a ticket for anything done on private property
unless the company that runs the parking lot, wants charges pressed
then it is basically a citizens arrest

Go to court !!!!
fight it !!!

the complainant will likely never show up & the police can't enforce it if they don't

in my town, a citizen can complain about me smoking in public, they call the police to issue a ticket. the citizen is not about to show up & miss work or even be bothered to show up in court.
It is an inconvenience for you, but it gets tossed out by the Judge, with a warning
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-04-2013, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
in southern california, san diego to be exact
I received a ticket for defacing the road, burning rubber on a public street
cops can't give you a ticket for anything done on private property
unless the company that runs the parking lot, wants charges pressed
then it is basically a citizens arrest

Go to court !!!!
fight it !!!

the complainant will likely never show up & the police can't enforce it if they don't

in my town, a citizen can complain about me smoking in public, they call the police to issue a ticket. the citizen is not about to show up & miss work or even be bothered to show up in court.
It is an inconvenience for you, but it gets tossed out by the Judge, with a warning
Yeah in Cali the vehicle code doesn't apply to private property
Old 10-04-2013, 05:10 AM

Oh wait, so this was the cops description of exhibition of speed. I've had a few tonight. Reading the title I thought we were talking about a noise violation for a moment. Yeah so exhibition of speed is a misdemeanor. Which equals a large fine. It's basically a reckless driving charge. It sucks to have to pay that much if you just peeled out. But if you did that in front of a cop, your gonna get written up.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:37 AM

Vehicle: 2013 RCSB Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:460
Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

Fight it.
I had one like it,issued in a mall parking lot,and after the mall was closed it becomes private property.
Whether they allow cops to write tickets or not,it's still private property after hours.
I beat my ticket.
If nothing else,you should be able to negotiate it down somewhat on court day.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:40 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

Personally I would take the chance and fight it in court. Everyone is due their day in court.

If you fight it, there is a good chance that the officer that wrote the ticket won't even show up. They often have more important things to do than go to court about tickets such as these. If the officer doesn't show up, the judge is likely to either dismiss it outright, or reduce it to something a lot less hurtful.

Good luck and be sure to keep us informed.

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 10-04-2013, 09:41 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:217
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

I wouldn't count on the cop not showing up, I would say its more likely he will show up.

As a rule for a traffic stop, the cop is the judge and the jury. You can fight it and maybe get it reduced. In traffic court they are used to people showing up and fighting tickets so they tend to crank them through the system.

I don't know the exact law in your state, but just because you are on private property doesn't mean a lot. They can right you up for DUI on private property in Illinois. Laws still apply to you no matter where you are. You can't kill someone and then say "but I was on private property".

I'm not exactly sure what went down when you got your ticket, what you said, what the cop said but I've done stuff and just had them tell me to "cut it out" and then let you go on your way. Unless you are doing something dangerous, I don't know why he just didn't give you a verbal warning, he must be a Chevy guy.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:05 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star PKG
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:11
robustRed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge man View Post
I wouldn't count on the cop not showing up, I would say its more likely he will show up.

As a rule for a traffic stop, the cop is the judge and the jury. You can fight it and maybe get it reduced. In traffic court they are used to people showing up and fighting tickets so they tend to crank them through the system.

I don't know the exact law in your state, but just because you are on private property doesn't mean a lot. They can right you up for DUI on private property in Illinois. Laws still apply to you no matter where you are. You can't kill someone and then say "but I was on private property".

I'm not exactly sure what went down when you got your ticket, what you said, what the cop said but I've done stuff and just had them tell me to "cut it out" and then let you go on your way. Unless you are doing something dangerous, I don't know why he just didn't give you a verbal warning, he must be a Chevy guy.
Yeah the cop was actually really cool and calm. I didn't say anything that would have made him angry. I just accepted the fact that he caught me doing it. Not much I could say.

2WD-Dsp 93 tune-55 series tires-3.92s-PacesetterLT Headers w/ 3in catted y-pipe- DynoMax Race Bullet- 2.2K ohm power wire- hellwig rear sway bar- 190 Degree Thermostat-