DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by robustRed View Post
Yeah the cop was actually really cool and calm. I didn't say anything that would have made him angry. I just accepted the fact that he caught me doing it. Not much I could say.
And there lies the answer my brother. And I quote, "I just accepted the fact that he caught me doing it". It's always tough to prove your innocence when you've got your hand in the cookie jar bud.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:26 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Shit happens, wrong place wrong time, Maybe he had a ruff day with his superiors because he was not up on his quota, who knows, shit happens for a reason, it sucks, but hey, how much will you loose or gain by going to court, will it be worth it? JMO but if your not loosing any points and its going to cost you in time, gas, etc I would just let it go. Again, Just my opinion from going to court for stuff like this, so ya, been there done that.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:41 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDuff View Post
I had a friend in high school who had a 60's or 70's camaro (forget the year), but he was having engine problems. Only way to keep t going was to keep his foot on the gas. Leaving from the house, he barely spun the tires and laid rubber about 15 feet long. 1 of the neighbors called the cops, they gave him a $1000 and 6 point ticket for reckless driving or something like that.

He ended up fighting, but still lost $500 and 3 points off his license. All for some neighbor who couldn't see he was having engine problems.
Really?

He received a huge fine and hefty points loss all because of second-hand information relayed to the responding officers by a neighbor?

Police don't give traffic tickets based off of unvarified second-hand information [hearsay]. It has zero credibility and substance because it's often a fabrication, exaggeration and gossip..... at best.

Grub out!
Old 10-04-2013, 10:42 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star PKG
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:11
robustRed is on a distinguished road

I'm going to do some calling around. I at lest would like the option to pay over a few months. One month to pay this is near impossible on my income.

2WD-Dsp 93 tune-55 series tires-3.92s-PacesetterLT Headers w/ 3in catted y-pipe- DynoMax Race Bullet- 2.2K ohm power wire- hellwig rear sway bar- 190 Degree Thermostat-
Old 10-04-2013, 02:15 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:353
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

What did you do? Are you pissed because of the amount of the fine or are you pissed because you didn't do anything wrong(the cop is lying about what you did)? If you think that is expensive---pass a school bus when the lights are flashing or speed through a school zone--that's where you pay BIG bucks for driving with your head in your a**.
Jay
P.S.---I sure hope you are not taking any of this "internet" legal advise to seriously--if you are you need to remember the source.

Last edited by Pull Ya; 10-04-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:39 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star PKG
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:11
robustRed is on a distinguished road

No I'm just a little shocked on the $750 dollar price tag. The cop was doing his job. I just wanted to see of anyone had a similar experience to mine in Houston just so I have a reference point on what direction I'm going to take. Either way, I really have nothing to lose but $750 at this time.

2WD-Dsp 93 tune-55 series tires-3.92s-PacesetterLT Headers w/ 3in catted y-pipe- DynoMax Race Bullet- 2.2K ohm power wire- hellwig rear sway bar- 190 Degree Thermostat-
Old 10-04-2013, 02:46 PM

Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

Good Luck---I guess some experiences are more expensive than others--We all have probably done things like that before but it just seems to get a little more expensive as time goes on. The cops don't set the fine amount--that's done by the court/judge.
Jay
Old 10-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Thinks sheep are stupid

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1734
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

I'm a stickler for details.

#1 to receive a "Moving violation" doesn't the vehicle have to be moving?

(kinda like the ticket I fought because I was operating a SCAT above the roadway years ago...and won (with an exception never to do it again). I was issued a ticket for operating an "off road vehicle" on a public highway. I argued that I actually wasn't on the highway, but above it-on a cushion of air- and the summons should have been issued by the FAA)

Anyways.

#2. Unreasonable noise is very subjective...did he take a decibel reading? Is there a legal definition for "unreasonable"? Do you think you can get him to demonstrate the noise in court, and what may be a reasonable exception also? Did he state what made the noise unreasonable?

#3. Are there any witnesses that were disturbed by the noise and found it unreasonable, or was it purely speculative analysis on his part. Was it freedom of expression on your part and didn't impede on the rights of the other patrons in the parking lot? How far away was the nearest mall patron and how audible was the unreasonable sound at a diminishing/increasing distance to the officer and/or nearest mall patron?

JMO Not intended to be offered as legal advise, nor to substitute as legal advise. However, you were seeking OPINIONS and/or experiences and any person theorizing this post as a legal opinion should consult the OPINION of a licensed Psychiatrist or keep their OPINION to themselves if they are going to be argumentative. That too is also my opinion and is neither supported nor endorsed by the owners of this form.

I do not claim to be a legal expert in Texas or any other state. But I did stay at a Quality Inn Express recently.

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name

Last edited by Warlock III; 10-04-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:16 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Dark Cherry
Rep:162
anothernewb has a spectacular aura aboutanothernewb has a spectacular aura about

Go to traffic court and plead your case for a lower amount, or a different charge. you have nothing to loose.

I got a ticket a number of years ago in MN for "unreasonable acceleration" or some such thing. I took it to court and simply asked for a reduction in the fine since I had a clear record, and was concerned for insurance reasons. got the charge changed, and the fine reduced simply by showing up.

One tip - show up looking like a responsible person. I took one look at the rest of the people there in court that day and was like "what a collection of losers" I also had a simple statement prepared ahead of time. bring something to court to show you're not wasting their time. if the court in your area is anything like Moorhead MN at that time - they are busy, and tired of hearing the same thing over and over again from people who look like low rent trash.

Livin life one truck payment at a time.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:38 PM

Anothernewb has some good points that may serve you well. If you want to argue the Law and/or definitions contained in the Law you should hire an attorney. There is a reason for the saying, A defendant that represents himself, has a fool for a client. It's really easy to make a fool of yourself and to come across as a smart ass, therefore I agree with anothernewb's approach. If some people knew the "Law" as well as they thought, they would be practicing as a licensed attorney not posting on a Dodge truck site giving free "legal" advise. IMHO
Jay