DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-20-2013, 10:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 CC 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Rep:71
topgun will become famous soon enough

It's not the fuel difference per say it is the lack of consistancy between areas of the country.

From a local paper near VM:

http://lanuovaferrara.gelocal.it/cro...fiat-1.7730595

Roughly translated:

Quote:
U.S. diesel is more "dirty" than the diesel in other countries, so VM Motori had to retune the electronic controls and update the engines they had already manufactured.
(they had a storage area full of engines waiting for the update)

- The new assembly line 4, that started production around july, have been stopped for some time waiting for assembly line approval by Chrysler (600 engines were already manufactured before stop of production)
Another article explains that it had to do with the Cetane levels in the USA not being consistant. Cummins and others work with our fuel so not sure why they had trouble other than their test labs are in Europe. They apparently found the problem during testing here countrywide.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:36 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:87
country-boy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertoy View Post
I'm sure there was some issue but not catching something so major and obvious as fuel differences seems unlikely. That's almost as big as 50/60hz between the US and well.... most everywhere else. At least I hope not, otherwise, I'm going to lose some serious faith in their engineering department(s). I'm thinking they've had a few glitches in the first pre-production batch that they ran back in September for QA purposes (the same ones making the car magazine circuit), and they're trying to make sure they've got these and any other as yet undiscovered glitches out of the system before they release them onto the general forum-happy public to avoid such popular title posts as "my-RAM-ED-is-DOA".
Sorta like the Mars rover not knowing the difference between English and Metric.... now THAT was an expensive goof.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Rep:420
skytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really nice

Was at my Ram dealer yesterday for service. GM stated they are expecting the first Grand Cherokee diesels to arrive the beginning of next week.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:25 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Granite
Rep:99
TJC.geotech will become famous soon enough

Diesel option has disappeared off the Canadian site.... hmmm.

US site still has it, but they have bumped the option price to $4K over the gas V6.

I guess there are issues.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:20 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Limited TrueBlue
Trim Level: Limited
Color: True Blue
Rep:11
2014LHLTD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC.geotech View Post

US site still has it, but they have bumped the option price to $4K over the gas V6.

Yeah, indeed it has, potentially they were getting a lot of interest from customers heading into dealership, and nothing to show for it, alas, they are going to get all unhappy customers

Good move to remove it, if the engine is months out
Old 10-23-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC.geotech View Post

The diesel was unveiled and promoted as a $2850 option over the cost of a Hemi so that is correct. The Hemi is a $1,150 option over the 6 cyl gasser.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:28 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Jeep Wrangler
Trim Level: Sahara
Color: Steel Blue
Rep:106
spp will become famous soon enoughspp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun View Post
There are several legitimate articles out there on the reason for the delay. It seems that when VM did the calibrations for the engine, they did not take into account the lower quality of diesel fuel in the USA which then caused emissions problems. By lower quality, the Cetane levels here vary greatly across the country unlike in Europe where it has to meet a tighter standard. The issue then caused the need to recalibrate to meet emission standards which put the assembly line on hold until a solution was approved by Chrysler. It has since restarted but the GC is first in line to receive the engines.

There are Jeep GC diesels built but none have shipped to dealers in the USA yet. The current status updates are showing some to arrive at the end of the month but that has been pushed back several times already.

The USA has higher diesel emission standards than in Europe but the fuel quality/consistancy/cetane level is much poorer.
Still can't divulge the precise info but it is related to emissions but not exactly this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertoy View Post
I'm sure there was some issue but not catching something so major and obvious as fuel differences seems unlikely. That's almost as big as 50/60hz between the US and well.... most everywhere else. At least I hope not, otherwise, I'm going to lose some serious faith in their engineering department(s). I'm thinking they've had a few glitches in the first pre-production batch that they ran back in September for QA purposes (the same ones making the car magazine circuit), and they're trying to make sure they've got these and any other as yet undiscovered glitches out of the system before they release them onto the general forum-happy public to avoid such popular title posts as "my-RAM-ED-is-DOA".
The quality control of the US diesel fuel can be at best described as "shotgun". The TDI forums are all over this as that caused a lot of issues with their HPFP (and $8000 repair bills).

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytop View Post
Was at my Ram dealer yesterday for service. GM stated they are expecting the first Grand Cherokee diesels to arrive the beginning of next week.
He was right. Guess what started shipping today? As the folks on the Jeep forums calls it: The Skittle Farting Unicorn has shipped.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:02 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 3.0L V6 Diesel
Rep:12
Geodasher is on a distinguished road

According to a post in another discussion, we will not be able to order the Ram diesel until January 1. Is that what other people are hearing from their dealers?
Old 10-25-2013, 05:24 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:10
ElRushmo is on a distinguished road

My dealer told me November 4th I can order a diesel. I really hope this is true!
Old 10-26-2013, 10:36 AM

The DEF system issues have been resolved and the GC's are starting to ship as of yesterday, Oct 25th. So the Ram Diesel will be next to start moving along in the process.