DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-04-2013, 08:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram
Rep:10
m3x1c0 is on a distinguished road
Default Truck shutting off while driving

Hey all. I got some strange issues with my truck. What happens is I'll be driving down the street or coming to a corner/ stop and all of a sudden the thing just shuts off. It always does this at low speeds and I'm able to stop and start it right back up. It also occasionally has a hesitation almost like the engine is missing but there is no bang (maybe it just doesn't fire?) and it almost feels like it's the trans. Also when it does this the trans will usually start acting up for the rest of the drive. Hard shifts, gear hunting all that mess.

Here's what I've done. I fixed some hoses that got rid of my evap codes. Replaced my o2 and added a defouler to make that code go away. Now all my check engine codes are gone and the truck still does it. Mind you some days it will be fine and others it just decides it hates me. Mechanics can't find anything. I cleaned the TB and no change. I will be replacing sparks soon as they are a little out of gap but they weren't fouled or anything.

The truck is an 03 5.7 2wd. 170k on it. Pulled the trans wire as with all 03's. No cat and some no name performance muffler. (This sucker is loud.)

I'm assuming it's a sensor somewhere but where should I start next? Do y'all think I should pull the valve covers and check my springs?
Sponsored links
Old 10-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 08 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L 4WD
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Charcoal Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
RAMPWR is on a distinguished road

I had the same issue with my Ram. I would be driving around 45mph or so and my rpms would drop to zero then spike up back to normal and drop to zero really fast. Originally I had thought this was some sort of sensor issue. I did replace some of my trans sensors and my truck was fine, until the nest week when I would be driving at low speeds and the truck would just shut off in the middle of the road. It was the most bizarre thing I had ever experienced. Long story short my clutch wasn't pressurized enough and I needed a new transmission. I would say most likely you need a new trans, because it's exactly the same thing that happened to me, but before I spent 2,400 on a new trans I replaced essentially all my trans sensors hoping that I would get lucky but unfortunately it wasn't any of my sensors. Ever since my new trans I have had absolutely no problems.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 08 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L 4WD
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Charcoal Grey
RAMPWR is on a distinguished road

And I took it to multiple different garages to get it looked at and everyone was shaking their head. So it took me forever to get it figured out.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Ive been saving for the day my tranny goes, didnt think it would come so soon Anyway, is there any sure fire way i can diagnose this? Should I just go ahead and get it rebuilt?
Old 10-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Also if I get it rebuilt what can I add to improve performance? I was wanting to add a Sharadon valve body to the mix but can I add it after the rebuild or will that be something they will need at the time of rebuild?
Old 10-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

So the mechanic is frustrated. It was slipping real bad Friday. Took it in and had no codes or clear problems. Drove 4 hours round trip to camp and it was fine. Didn't shut off, no slipping nothing. Next day it shut off on me 4-5 times. Mechanic did a tranny flush which changed nothing. Any ideas? Also he insisted that the transmission could not be what's causing it to shut off
Old 10-07-2013, 07:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT - Quad Cab
Color: Graphite Metalic
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:118
tjbiker031 will become famous soon enoughtjbiker031 will become famous soon enough

Yeah the mechanic is correct.

Exactly when does it stall? Does it do it when cruising or when slowing down coming to a stop? Does it stall under the same conditions?

Now im just taking a guess, but when i hear about problems stalling when coming to a stop i instantly think of IAC needs to be cleaned, throttle body needs to be cleaned, and Thottle position sensor needs to be tested. Has your mechanic (we actually perfer being called Technicians now) looked at these parts the control idle?

Get your Factory Manuals here!! <link fixed>

Last edited by tjbiker031; 10-07-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbiker031 View Post
Yeah the mechanic is correct.

Exactly when does it stall? Does it do it when cruising or when slowing down coming to a stop? Does it stall under the same conditions?

Now im just taking a guess, but when i hear about problems stalling when coming to a stop i instantly think of IAC needs to be cleaned, throttle body needs to be cleaned, and Thottle position sensor needs to be tested. Has your mechanic (we actually perfer being called Technicians now) looked at these parts the control idle?
It stalls sometimes coming to a stop sometimes just cruising down the road. It will sometimes drop rpms really quickly while my foot is still on the pedal and then immediately spike back up. Kind of like a bad shift or misfire.

I cleaned up the TB its sparkling. Intake looked pretty good when it was off. It did have an IAC code for about a day after the TB cleaning but it shut off and hasn't come back on.

My... ahem... technician hasnt specifically looked at them but he did mention that most sensors will throw a code if something is wrong. I've read people telling me to check cam/ crank sensors but if they arent throwing codes how can I be sure nothing is wrong with them?
Old 10-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Ram
Trim Level: Daytona
Color: Silver
05daytonahemi is on a distinguished road

I wonder if the torque converter is locking up when it shouldn't? It'll definitely throw a code if the cam sensor is bad.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT - Quad Cab
Color: Graphite Metalic
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:118
tjbiker031 will become famous soon enoughtjbiker031 will become famous soon enough

Thats incorrect what he said. The PCM will throw a code past a threshold point....not always. BUT if you have a sensor or sensors not operating correctly like a crank sensor (for example) and it has a wire that has a intermitten short....the PCM may think the engine shut off untill the wire moved again and then restored crank signal.....the same could go for almost any electrical componet. doesnt happen often, but it could happen.....

Get your Factory Manuals here!! <link fixed>